FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Is Milk Bad For You?

nickfyoung
Some people advocate the dairy free diet to cure many illnesses. The guy on this site, http://www.notmilk.com/, says rheumatoid arthritis may be caused by dairy foods and cows milk specifically. Under his article, The Famous Milk Letter, He cites scientific reports and studies to show that cows milk is not good for your health.
Are his scientific quotes reliable and accurate.

MODERATOR - This isn't exactly a philosophy question... moved to appropriate forum
-Ankhanu
Phpaddict
In some countrys, like india, the cow is a "God", because, you kill 1, it can be eat by some persons, but with it milk, it can be eat be MUCH persons.
spinout
Hm, interesting and very much in the trend... All stores here have whole section with "milkfree" and alternative food. All seems to have got an allergic reaction to milk... not me I think. yet...

And why did we "loose" the capability to produce the milk nedded ourself? I don't remember... but some protein missing in our own human milk maybe???

I think the best way to be tolerant is to add the milk every day so our body accepts it in the long run.
Bluedoll
I think what is bad about milk is what they put in it not the milk itself.
spinout
Hm, I don't agree directly... I think we are affected by things (strong substances like thinner and alike in the environment) and we get vulnable as a cause.
I have 2 examples in my family: My mom got allergic from working with IC boards, lots of 2 component plastic. My uncle got allegic by glue used for airplane models, same stuff I think. I also do belive my dad got his bad spring allergic due to thinners in the 70s in construction work...
But time cures allergic, the older the human get the more resistent...
Ankhanu
nickfyoung wrote:
Some people advocate the dairy free diet to cure many illnesses. The guy on this site, http://www.notmilk.com/, says rheumatoid arthritis may be caused by dairy foods and cows milk specifically. Under his article, The Famous Milk Letter, He cites scientific reports and studies to show that cows milk is not good for your health.

First off, the entire format of that site screams hack.
Citations were a little hard to come by at first, but I found a couple in the form of single or partial sentence quotations with references below in one of the cancer links. Something that you might note is that a good number of the quotes are all stating correlation, or "association"... this is NOT to be confused with a causal link. If you start drinking more and more water, and find that you're also playing board games more often (or less often), they're going to be correlated... but it's exceptionally doubtful one leads to the other.

Simply having scientific citations is not sufficient. To really assess the claims, actually try to read the cited material. All too often you'll find that the citation is taken out of context (quote mining), say something different than the author is suggesting, or, in some cases, is actually completely unrelated to the topic being written about.

I don't have a lot of time at the moment, I have a dental appointment pretty soon, so I haven't done much digging here, but this guy seems to have an agenda more than he has an even-handed, whole-picture approach to the information. Some of what he has is likely good... but it will take some investigating to determine what's true and what's biased fear-mongering... so much investigating that you're likely better going to a different source entirely.

spinout wrote:
Hm, I don't agree directly... I think we are affected by things (strong substances like thinner and alike in the environment) and we get vulnable as a cause.
I have 2 examples in my family: My mom got allergic from working with IC boards, lots of 2 component plastic. My uncle got allegic by glue used for airplane models, same stuff I think. I also do belive my dad got his bad spring allergic due to thinners in the 70s in construction work...

You're right, we can develop allergies to substances through exposure over time. To add another anecdote, my thesis supervisor is an entomologist specializing in aquatic insects... groups that are stored/preserved in formaldahyde. In 30 years of working with formaldahyde she's developed a severe allergy to it, to the point that she has to wear a full face filter when entering a room where any is stored. It's really slowed down her ability to process specimens for her research Sad
spinout wrote:
But time cures allergic, the older the human get the more resistent...

This is pretty spurious... got any kind of reference for that?
back_to_grandma
If you cut milk out of your diet, be prepared to possibly make it a life choice. Most of us have persistent lactase b/c we never stopped drinking milk, and considering our bodies operate on a "use it or lose" mentality, you might induce lactose intolerance by removing it from your diet. Such is the case in people around the world who don't have access to milk post-infancy.
jackyxie
nickfyoung wrote:

MODERATOR - This isn't exactly a philosophy question... moved to appropriate forum
-Ankhanu

Maybe he is right in most of the situlation~
00ROM00
Our stomatch is not prepare for the milk. If we don't take it since we are babe we won't be able to digest it. I think that's a clue.
Bikerman
00ROM00 wrote:
Our stomatch is not prepare for the milk. If we don't take it since we are babe we won't be able to digest it. I think that's a clue.
This is wrong. It should not surprise anyone that most human babies can tolerate milk from birth with no problem - anything else would be extraordinary. After infancy a large proportion of our species become intolerant to lactose - the primary nutrient (a sugar) in both human and dairy milk products. This is genetic and is NOT related to the intake as a baby. This, again, makes evolutionary sense since adults would no longer rely on milk in primitive human groupings. It is only with the advent of farming that milk became available to the adult population. In cultures where milk was farmed - Europe and large parts of India and Africa - natural selection would have favoured individuals with a mutation in gene MCM6 which would normally 'turn off' lactase (the enzyme which allows digestion of lactose) production after breastfeeding. Such individuals would have been able to digest milk and milk-products into adult life and it is fairly easy to see how this might have offered an evolutionary advantage, which would, in turn, have favoured the spread of this mutation. In other cultures - much of Asia and a large chunk of Africa - this did not happen and most adults (up to 90% or so) become lactose intolerant as they move out of childhood - just as we all would have done before the MCM6 mutation became widespread.
jajarvin
Milk is for babies and children who grow up.
Adults do not need milk.
jamesparker
Milk is good for every one and for all ages as it contains calcium which is good for bones.
kaysch
back_to_grandma wrote:
If you cut milk out of your diet, be prepared to possibly make it a life choice. Most of us have persistent lactase b/c we never stopped drinking milk, and considering our bodies operate on a "use it or lose" mentality, you might induce lactose intolerance by removing it from your diet. Such is the case in people around the world who don't have access to milk post-infancy.

I agree. I do not have any intolerance towards dairy products. However I do not like the taste. So unless there is so much sugar in it that I do not notice it's milk I will not have it. And my body so far has adapted to that diet perfectly well.
Deline
I think I don't have any intolerance to milk or its derivates, sometimes I try to avoid drinking it too much, but it's really hard to resist a hot milk with chocolate in the winter *-*

I also think that people don't need to cut it from their diets, unless the cause is for health issues. It's a good thing for those who need calcium. We just have to choose a reliable brand and control another meals in our diets.
mshafiq
I like milk and milk products.although the milk taste is not good but you can add lot of other things to make a taste good for drink.
mshafiq
Well, the Milk. I am sensitive to milk taste Actually for all tastes.
The raw/pure milk , I can not drink because of its Oder or taste.
Luckily, the milk available in Canada (on shops) does not taste what a raw milk milk tastes and I am able to drink it.
Let me fix my myself. I do not drink as 'just milk' but with cereal in the morning.
Other than this, I avoid milk products and they contain a lot of fat and calories..
I remember to east pita bread with dipping and butter but not any more.
I know when milk product/fat is there in food ingredients, it tastes better but can't afford as I'm accumulating more fat on my own body.
Blummer
I have met hundreds of people who hate milk. Actually milk is healthy when it comes to traditional medicine, there are many recipes including that ingredient.
mshafiq
I am not allergic to milk. I always prefer to drink chocolate milk or some flavour inside plain milk.
Plain milk i can not drink.