FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Is there anything that can be done about the downtime?

medesignz
In the past few days, it has been quite frequent for me to want to log onto my various websites, and even this forum, but unable to do so because of the server downtime?

Although, I do understand that sometimes this is something can't be helped, but is there anything that can be done to try and reduce the amount of times it actually happens?

Is there anything that we can do as a community so we can all benefit?
Ghost Rider103
Has this been happening more frequently than usual? I noticed the servers were down yesterday and some of the day before yesterday.

Naturally, there is going to be some amount of downtime, there has always been a very small amount here and there. If there has been a ton of downtime recently, perhaps I could make sure that Bondings is aware of the problems - however usually when the servers go down he is on top of it asap, so I'd imagine he is probably already aware of the most recent downtime as well.

Anyways, I do apologize for any inconvenience.
deanhills
Ghost Rider103 wrote:
Has this been happening more frequently than usual? I noticed the servers were down yesterday and some of the day before yesterday.
Yes it has Ghost. Bondings is aware of the problem. He's planning on moving us to a different server when he finds time available. I think he is struggling with time.

We were down for several hours yesterday - most of the day, and on 25 September too. Server 1 was down on 24 September. Been going on for months now.
zimmer
all of us hate downtime.. i guess what we can do is a be aware of scripts we run on server to avoid downtime.

I guess that can help as a pure member.
RosenCruz
These kind of issues. Happening a little too much lately. Crying or Very sad

I m moving my mainsite off frihost until things get stable. I will still be a member here on the forums and have others kept on FH servers of course.

Since 2005, I m proud of this community and service. Wink
medesignz
Sorry to say it happened again today. Causing all sorts of errors on Wordpress
deanhills
medesignz wrote:
Positive part of it is that it couldn't have been down for that long. I must have checked in at Frihost at least four times during the day at various times on a quick in and out basis and it was OK all of those times. So Bondings' server reboot time must be improving. That's great news! Cool
RosenCruz
Anyone notices e mail issues ?
Josso
I used to always post this certain external site in situations like this which had all the server status things on it. Can't find it on google recently, gonna have to search back through my posts, if it's gone I'll have to make my own Very Happy

Someone used to have a sig that was similar but from another site.

EDIT:
Ok I found it for you guys, the URL changed probably why it isn't high up on Google anymore: http://fh.info.tm/ - bookmark it!
Peterssidan
medesignz wrote:

If wordpress gives you error messages it's probably MySQL that is not working at the moment. This will probably not be counted as downtime by the page linked by Josso because the server isn't really down during that time and can show pages that doesn't use MySQL just fine.
deanhills
Josso wrote:
I used to always post this certain external site in situations like this which had all the server status things on it. Can't find it on google recently, gonna have to search back through my posts, if it's gone I'll have to make my own Very Happy

EDIT:
Ok I found it for you guys, the URL changed probably why it isn't high up on Google anymore: http://fh.info.tm/ - bookmark it!
I've got it in my signature ..., been there for quite a while. Bondings has it in his signature too. Probably easier to find mine though. Twisted Evil
medesignz
Josso wrote:

EDIT:
HAHA, that site gave me a time-out error message Smile
deanhills
That's weird. As I accessed it successfully earlier tonight. Just accessed it again, and indeed it timed out.

What made me chuckle when I accessed it was the up time percentage for Server 1 - 99.51%

Wait a minute. I still have it up, let me make a print screen of the page:

Josso
Seems to be back ^^
deanhills
Ah right. Indeed it is. Medesignz seems to always surface when it's down. Hehe ....

OK, so having a look at it, it appears Server 4 is the champion mySQL server with 82 up days. Server 1 has eight up days and Servers 2 and 3 3 up days each for mySQL. Wonder whether Bondings is resetting Servers 2 and 3 regularly just to make sure they don't go down, particularly after the last major down periods just before the last weekend started and on last Sunday? Or maybe they've been down for much shorter periods so I haven't noticed them being down. Which is also a huge improvement. Our Forum is on Server 2. My Website is on Server 1. And the last time my Website was down was eight days ago. So although I don't agree with the up time percentages, the rest seems to be accurate.

*Clicked around a little bit* OK this must be the reason for the high up time percentages. They are accurate, but are taken over a period of a day, instead of as a weighted average over a fixed period of time like a month or a week:
http://host-tracker.com/event_list/?task_id=1182846
medesignz
Was it down again today... There seems to be an error most Wednesdays around midday (gmt)
watersoul
Yep, 2 or 3 hours this late afternoon, checked it with http://www.isup.me/ few times
medesignz
Does it happen most afternoons? I can't seem to find a site that has site stats by the hour...
medesignz
Website out majority of yesterday. Did anyone else experience this?
Peterssidan
medesignz wrote:

Yes, and it has happened quite a few times lately.
Ankhanu
medesignz wrote:
Does it happen most afternoons? I can't seem to find a site that has site stats by the hour...
medesignz wrote:

Yeah, I've noted it seems to drop some time around 10am, my local time... maybe 2pm MST? It's usually back by 3pm or 6pm local. Yesterday it still hadn't come back when I went to bed at 1am :/
alvarorojas4
medesignz wrote:

Yep, same problem here
medesignz
I have had to start transferring my sites to another host. It is a shame that I am having to leave FriHost, as I have enjoyed my time here. I may still host certain sites on the server, but if the downtime does not get rectified, I shall shift them all and leave the site all together.
watersoul
medesignz wrote:
I have had to start transferring my sites to another host. It is a shame that I am having to leave FriHost, as I have enjoyed my time here. I may still host certain sites on the server, but if the downtime does not get rectified, I shall shift them all and leave the site all together.

I left the hosting a while back, I just have images/stuff linked to old posts here which removing the hosting would equal messy posts.
It's a pity about the increasing downtime and lack of information by admins, I'm almost expecting to see Frihost down for good one day. Hope not but Bondings is obviously ignoring the place - can't make a single post to explain from work/home desktop/mobile phone/internet cafe/friends mobile even?

Of course he's not obligated to do anything, it's a free site he owns, but I'm sure new members will run a mile when they read threads like this one.
deanhills
I don't think Bondings is ignoring Frihost. If he were, then the servers would stay down once they're down. Just imagine all the times the servers have been down, and they have been rebooted, does indicate he is not ignoring Frihost and that he does care. I think if we Google Frihost, he has been absent before. This time round it's the longest yet, but I'm sure he'll be back. Very soon we'll be getting an epic official blog post from him with a touch of humour after a long absence. And of course we'll still be around as well. Happy to see him back.
sysna
Yes i think we will see him again soon, but about servers how you know that servers are restarted ? is there any sign that we can know that the server is restarted ?

I ask this question because i only see the mysql restart which can be done with a average load threshold or memory usage threshold and things like that but i don't know how we can see the up time of the server os.
deanhills
sysna wrote:
Yes i think we will see him again soon, but about servers how you know that servers are restarted ? is there any sign that we can know that the server is restarted ?

I ask this question because i only see the mysql restart which can be done with a average load threshold or memory usage threshold and things like that but i don't know how we can see the up time of the server os.
I'd say it could be useful to check this url from time to time:
http://fh.info.tm/

It's also in my signature - Server Status link.

You have to be a little patient as it takes a while for the page to load but it should give you an idea of the status.

Obviously when the server is down, you won't be able to get this page up.
medesignz
I always wondered that, the fact that status pages were usually on the same server as the actual site... Wouldn't it make more sense to not have it hosted elsewhere? HAHA