FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Just a funny computer problem

standready
So yesterday I come home to find a message on my home phone from a friend. She says her computer stopped working. I returned her call and she tells she dropped something in behind the computer and after she retrieved that item, her computer was not working.
I went her house. I found her computer running, modem powered up. speaker light on but a blank screen on the monitor. I reached behind the monitor and found it's power button and pressed it and BOOM! computer was 'working'.
We both had a good laugh!!
Peterssidan
I wish all computer problems was this easy to fix. Wink
riteshk1
Really Smile
Josso
You know being a tech kinda person has its disadvantages I just setup a new machine and was getting all these random pixels all over the place. Went through a ton of stuff for an hour, checked the drivers etc etc etc... then I nudged the DVI cable... PROBLEM SOLVED. Sometimes you get used to things being complicated you forget to check the simple stuff.

http://xkcd.com/530/
related
deanhills
Agreed. I'm not even close to a tech person, but some of my relatives think I'm brilliant. Almost all the problems I solved were because of turning the switch on and off. Same with the Internet. Turning the Internet box on and off got the Internet working again. Laughing

You're right Josso. We sometimes are so focused on the complicated reasons for the problem, we forget the simple solutions like just turning the switch on and off, and checking whether all of the wires are plugged in.
Peterssidan
deanhills wrote:
Turning the Internet box on and off got the Internet working again. Laughing

Been doing that many times Very Happy and surprisingly it always works, but when you have to do it too frequently it's probably time to get a new "Internet box".
Marcuzzo
Peterssidan wrote:
deanhills wrote:

Been doing that many times Very Happy and surprisingly it always works, but when you have to do it too frequently it's probably time to get a new "Internet box".

or an new provider Razz
Peterssidan
Marcuzzo wrote:
Peterssidan wrote:
deanhills wrote:
or an new provider Razz
Replace whatever is broken. I know, it's not always easy to know what that is.
Arrogant
You should have charged her
Marcuzzo
Arrogant wrote:
You should have charged her

If I had to charge friends and family for the times that I fixed their PEBKAC problem's then I would be rich.
sometimes I just had to look at the issue at it would be gone. literally just point my eyes at it.

as soon as somebody knows that you know a thing or 2 about computers they turn you into their private Service Desk. Very Happy
jdelfire
ah ghost in the machine...
Arrogant
I totally agree with you
anshkathuriaweb
Lucky You Razz
zimmer
Peterssidan wrote:

It is.. all you need to do is substitute each part for the hardware.. and if it is software then reformat would be the best.
SonLight
Once upon a time I worked around a mainframe computer -- raised floor with air conditioning underneath, room full of cabinets, similar to a server room today. It quit completely. After scrambling around a while, the engineers discovered an extension cord unplugged. The power hadn't been wired right to the main unit in a conduit or permanently wired cable, as one might have expected; it looked kind of like someone had improvised. There was this huge round connector where one cord plugged into another one, and apparently either it did not lock together or had vibrated loose. The connection was wrapped with strapping tape, and never gave us any trouble after that.

Another time the computer obviously had some power but wasn't functional. The back panel was opened up and people were looking for a blown fuse or similar problem. In the circuit breaker area, just one power connector had a light on. I pointed it out as the obvious culprit, since it was the one different from the others. Someone said no, that can't be the problem, the light is on. I shrugged my shoulders and waited. Twenty or thirty minutes later they finally got around to resetting the lighted breaker, and the problem was solved.
dabyd64
I work at a computer shop, sadly or funny, this happens a lot of times.
After a repair (usually a bad hard disk, motherboard, powersupply, ram stick) the client pays and leaves, and comes back after 10 minutes arging that nothing works. (They usually come back angry:evil:)
Did you connect everything? - Erm...YES! You did nothing, it's the same as before!Evil or Very Mad
Let me check it.....Beeep! Windows is loading... -everything is working fine, sir
SURE!? Evil or Very Mad.....Embarassed Okay, I may have done something wrong!
Ten minutes later, phone ringing. Hi, its me, well.. l I saw that I had to connect a lot of cables behind?? I was just plugging my USB drive...Embarassed
Could you tell me how to connect all this? what is this blue cable for? And the green one? Rolling EyesRolling EyesRolling Eyes

But when it takes to typical women without knowledge it's even funnier. My mother didn't let me touch any computer wire when I was a kid, saying that it would burn everything! Laughing
tamilparks
you are so lucky
standready
dabyd64 wrote:
I work at a computer shop, sadly or funny, this happens a lot of times.

I owned a computer shop for a while. People would bring their computers in saying it does not work. Put the computer on the bench and hook everything up and worked perfectly. Customers get upset when they have to pay the bench charge for nothing.
Marcuzzo
Some people just don't look at their Cables, because they "are not technical"....."" "..." "..." "..."
... on a Desktop PC you can't really plug a cable in the wrong port. well at least not without forcing it... you'd be surprised how many power cables I've pulled out of the DVD drive Razz ( nah, just kidding )

basic (cable) IO troubleshooting guide:
PC doesn't power on... check the power cable
No image on the screen.... check the cable that goes from the TV like square to the big buzzing tower.
my keyboard is dead.... is it plugged in?
my mouse is dead....do you have a cat?
Peterssidan
zimmer wrote:
Peterssidan wrote:

It is.. all you need to do is substitute each part for the hardware.. and if it is software then reformat would be the best.

If you don't care about how much time and money you spend I guess you can say everything is easy. Usually I want to fix my problems in minimal time and without spending any money which is often hard and not always possible.

Marcuzzo wrote:
Some people just don't look at their Cables, because they "are not technical"....."" "..." "..." "..."
... on a Desktop PC you can't really plug a cable in the wrong port. well at least not without forcing it... you'd be surprised how many power cables I've pulled out of the DVD drive Razz ( nah, just kidding )

You can easily plug the mouse and keyboard into the wrong ports. The 3 audio ports are also the same size. Thankfully they often have colour labels.
standready
Marcuzzo wrote:
my mouse is dead....do you have a cat?

Yes, I have a cat. Now what? laugh
sysna
This is very good because now computer makers should now about such problems too, maybe placing a little thing in monitor or pc to alarm that you should press the power button Very Happy would be a great idea.

I was trying to change cartridge of my HP laser printer some days ago and i was trying to do that using the manual, it was really annoying as the manual was only consisting of some pictures which were really hard to find which one is the current situation, finally i went to youtube to find the solution. this is an example of what companies lack today, they still provide you with paper manuals which really are not working in most of the times. they need to make some video tutorials for such things instead of drawing pictures on paper.
malaz
you are hero lol