FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Can any designer here recommend ways to learn?

ratanegra
I wish to learn how to design websites professionally, but I don't know where to start and what to read. I already know HTML and CSS, but I want to be able to judge the quality of my designs so that I can produce better stuff. If you can recommend any textbooks, websites or anything with that kind of information I would greatly appreciate it.
deanhills
Just lots of practice, doing as many Websites as you can and learning as you're doing. I'm not a professional designer myself, but have worked with someone who is excellent at designing Websites. I helped to moderate a Forum of his as well as change some templates from old HTML to HTML5. That gave me a real close-up in the world of templates and the designs I favoured. At the time I was using Notepad++ and Mozilla Firefox to do the translations. If you're very serious, I'm sure this guy will help you. I'll PM you his details.
amagard
A great way to learn how you are doing with web page design is to ask your users about it. Thus make sure you provide some "Feedback" function so that users can send you feedback how they like your pages and what they dislike.

Google just offered some training "Make your website more accessible to more users with Introduction to Web Accessibility".
tcarnevale
I'm going to respond to your query in stages:

If you already feel real comfortable with designing using HTML and CSS, I'd look into one of the free CMSs. Wordpress is the most popular, Joomla! is my favorite. Both are free, with plenty of documentation on the web at their respective sites, and other places. Try a Google search on Wordpress tutorials or Joomla! tutorials.

If you feel you need to see some applications of HTML and CSS in designing websites, here are some good websites on the topic:
1. [url]//www.wikihow.com/Design-a-Website [/url]
2. [url]//www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhy4aljvLyc [/url]
3. [url]//www.thesitewizard.com/gettingstarted/startwebsite.shtml [/url]
4. [url]//graphicdesign.about.com/od/websitedesign/ss/website.htm [/url]
5. [url]//www.2createawebsite.com/design/ [/url]
6. [url]//www.make-a-web-site.com/how-to-design-a-website/ [/url]

Finally, here's a list of 10 books that might help:

1. Build Your Own Web Site The Right Way Using HTML & CSS, 2nd Edition by Ian Lloyd
2. The Essential Guide to CSS and HTML Web Design (Essentials) by Craig Grannell
3. Designing with Web Standards (3rd Edition) by Jeffrey Zeldman
4. CSS Web Site Design Hands on Training by Eric A. Meyer
5. High Performance Web Sites: Essential Knowledge for Front-End Engineers by Steve Souders
6. The CSS Anthology: 101 Essential Tips, Tricks & Hacks by Rachel Andrew
7. Don't Make Me Think: A Common Sense Approach to Web Usability, 2nd Edition by Steve Krug
8. Web ReDesign 2.0: Workflow that Works (2nd Edition) by Emily Cotler
9. jQuery Cookbook: Solutions & Examples for jQuery Developers (Animal Guide) by Cody Lindley
10. Creating a Web Site with Flash CS4: Visual QuickProject Guide by David Morris[url][/url]

Hope it helps! Confused Very Happy
hazeZues
If You know Html and CSS already all need to do is learn how to use photoshop! sdownload a trial version and google tutorials on web designing and you will get better as you keep trying

well thats how i did it.

ps: ill post a tutorial for you soon
zimmer
try Joomla platform - very easy as a start up and highly recommended. Once you made your Joomla site then you can experiment or play it around how to edit.

Sometimes we just need more time because as they say Rome is not build in one day.

Keeps practice and you can be a professional developer.