FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Leave yourself a secret note for the year 2025

goutha
This is amazing. Forbes.com can lets you create a "e-mail time capsule" that will automatically email you in up to 20 years later. Surprise the you in the future...

http://forbes.codefix.net/capsule/

your comments...
Jack_Hammer
Thats kinda cool, to have an e-mail from yourself 20 years later.
Xcelerate
Considering technology gets shifted around a lot, I would think that that website might be shut down by then. Who knows, we may even have something other than internet?
bassgs_17
This is so... evil! So, if I have the same e-mail account in 100 years, my clone can access it! Definitely cool. Coolness rating=4/5 stars.
-Aquastrike
goutha
To answer your concern about the site probably will be shut down in few years, here is what forbes is doing to maxzimize the longivity of the program :

Quote:
So how did we do it? Obviously we can’t 100% guarantee that our program will work, but we vastly increased the odds by using the same strategy that helps keep the Internet up and running--lots of redundancy.

Even though Forbes Magazine has been around for 85 years, and Forbes.com for a decade, we can't just assume that the company will be around in another 20 years--or that a database and application will be safe sitting on our servers for that long. But we can be fairly certain that if several different entities are charged with storing and potentially sending our e-mails, at least one of them will come through. So we decided to recruit two very different kinds of partners to help with this effort.

The first, Codefix Consulting, is a small technology consultancy based in Sleepy Hollow, N.Y. Its president, Garrison Hoffman, wrote the e-mail time capsule application and designed the database that will store the messages, so we know he has the expertise to keep it running. He can also adapt the software to work on any new networks and computers that might come online in the future. By asking him to contribute, we're vesting our hopes in the entrepreneurial model of getting things done--by making the time capsule one individual's personal project, they'll be less likely to forget about it or abandon it.

For our second partner, we decided to go in the opposite direction, and choose a multi-billion dollar international corporation. The hope here is that a huge business can provide the support and expertise needed to keep our project going, and that it will survive in institutional memory--even if the employee in charge of it today drops the ball, someone else will pick it up.

We chose Internet giant Yahoo! (nasdaq: YHOO - news - people ) to take over the responsibility. Yahoo! has the savvy to shepherd our time capsule through whatever technological changes occur over the next 20 years. And their business is big enough and strong enough that we feel they're probably going to be around for a long time to come.

On Nov. 30, 2005 we seal the time capsule, and copies of the application and data will be saved here at Forbes.com, at Yahoo! and at Codefix Consulting.

But the job's not over then. We don't want you to get three copies of your e-mail if all three applications stay up and running. So we've designed the software to keep the partners in touch with each other over the Internet. Once a year, a few days before that year's messages are set to go out, the application running on Forbes' servers will send a message to Yahoo! and Codefix, letting them know it's up and running, and that it's ready to send the e-mails. Once they get that message, Yahoo! and Codefix will stand down, and won't send duplicates.

But if something happens to the Forbes' server and that message doesn't get sent, the other two partners know something is wrong. Codefix Consulting's will then take over the year's mailings--and will send a message to Yahoo! to let it know the job is underway. In turn, if both Forbes and Codefix are down, Yahoo! won't get any messages at all, and that server will know it has to take over the mailings. All this happens automatically, so human intervention isn't needed.

There's still one weak link in the equation: What if you're using a different e-mail address in five, ten, or 20 years? Well, if that happens, you're not getting your message. But you can help improve the chances of delivery success by e-mailing yourself at a personal account, one operated by a major Internet company, or a job you expect to hold for a while. Don't send the message to your work address if you're planning to leave in a few months.

Will the entrepreneur, the media company, and the Internet giant be able to pull this project off? Send yourself an e-mail, and you'll find out the answer…in 20 years.

<EDIT: Please quote all articles>
abhinav
looks like gr8 news actually
awesome

but is it ad supported Crying or Very sad
bdoneck
pointless, yet awesome

i would send myself one but my email is always changing...
gh0stface
That's kind of neat.

However, I think doing a time capsule would probably be even neater. Find like a water and rust proof tin can and put some items from right now such as a video game, movie ticket or what not, bury it some place in your yard. Come back to it after like 25-50 years and dig it up and relive the memories! Razz
ocalhoun
Make a technological time capsule, bury some old computer parts and protect them from the elements. 100 years later, dig them up and sell them to a museum. This is a good way to get rid of lots of old junk.
goutha
The program is not ad supported. Actually, Forbes is financing every thing... And they have all the money to make it free Laughing
mceejaydee
Awesome!! I will get this email 1 year from now. I'll remind myself to keep my head up!
php_wizard_l33t
Wow I actually find that very amazing.

I am going to do it myself and I'm going to set it for 5 years if I can.

Nice job.. coolness rating 7/10!!
tingkagol
I just made myself a message when I'm 43 years old. Shocked That's kinda creepy. I wonder how I'd react to it. I do hope I still use e-mail by that time. Laughing
Nameless
... or, you could take the traditional method and burry a time capsule. So much more reliable, so much more simpler, so much more dirty, so much more that can be included!

Seriously, getting that buy e-mail just... doesn't seem that great.
godam64
it's so silly.

we don't use e-mail in 2025. it's a primitif form of communication like sending mail by post office.

i hope yahoo gmail aim and other mail service still survive until 2025 Very Happy
yupeng
What i will be after 20 years?
I don't know
argha
Its cool..

The problem is my girlfriend keeps changing her email ID after every year or so.. I am No. 4 in her boy friend list... 20 years is more then a light year for her... Laughing but the concept is cool..

hope I will have my email ID with the same server ... ... in 20 YEARS????
leon44
that is amazing, that will be so cool
xorcist
That's nice I would proberly do that but I doubt I will have the same email in 20 years. It will be a good thing to do, my teacher in 8th grade have us write letters to ourselves saying what we will be doing 4 years after high school. I just wanna see if its really going to be mailed to me.