FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Should the US persue prosecution of Israeli chem weap use?

Should we prosecute Israelis who initiated chem warfare against Palestinian civilians?
No. Israel has a free pass to murder people with chemicals whereas Syria does not.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Yes. If Syrian government officials are guilty of warcrimes, so are Israeli's.
100%
 100%  [ 2 ]
I am unsure.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 2

JoryRFerrell
http://www.hrw.org/news/2009/03/25/israel-white-phosphorus-use-evidence-war-crimes

Should the United States perform bombing runs all over Israel the next time they use WP against civilian populated areas (or any area with humans period, civilian or not)?
JoryRFerrell
http://www.policymic.com/articles/62023/10-chemical-weapons-attacks-washington-doesn-t-want-you-to-talk-about

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUP6RwTtGqc#t=36
deanhills
And so bombing kills innocent people. What's the diffs here? Syria and Israel allegedly using chemical weapons and the United States bombing innocent people and destroying their countries? Is bombing the solution? Or is bombing "as a deterrent" the equivalent of killing a mosquito with a sledge hammer and completely missing it?
JoryRFerrell
deanhills wrote:
And so bombing kills innocent people. What's the diffs here? Syria and Israel allegedly using chemical weapons and the United States bombing innocent people and destroying their countries? Is bombing the solution? Or is bombing "as a deterrent" the equivalent of killing a mosquito with a sledge hammer and completely missing it?

The point is that we are attacking Syria for using chemical weapons, but we are failing to attack Israel over the same thing. I am not saying that chem weapons are worse than "conventional" weapons, I am simply speaking from the perspective that if they are worse, their use deserves condemnation no matter who uses them. Right?
Nick2008
This is a purely ethical issue. If chemical weapons use is condemned globally, nobody deserves a "free pass" in using them. The only seven nations that are not parties to the Chemical Weapons Convention (CWC) are Angola, Burma, Egypt, Israel, North Korea, South Sudan, and Syria.

As we can see, both Israel (signed, not ratified) and Syria (applied this year) are non-parties to the CWC.

From a legal standpoint, can we prosecute the countries not bound by the CWC for using chemical weapons? Legally - No, Morally - Yes.

From a moral standpoint, it should not matter who the perpetrator is, whether it's Israel or Syria or North Korea or Angola is irrelevant. Any nation that authorizes the use of chemical weapons (of course, we would need conclusive evidence... something we don't have in the Syrian conflict) should face the consequences for those decisions.

Unfortunately, you have to look at the balance of global power. More or less, the United States retains a large share of global influence. If a nation is friendly to the U.S. (e.g. Israel), it is less likely to get in trouble simply because the major power player will defend it. On the flip side, a nation not friendly to the U.S. is more likely to face consequences because the power player will pursue it.

The U.S. wields enormous power over mass media, just look at how intently the media tried to accuse Assad of using chemical weapons but how quiet it is about Israel. In the 21st century it is the information war that is now the centerpiece of global conflict.

That's just the dirty game of politics and international affairs. In the end, all of this humanitarian/ethical mumbo jumbo is simply a cover for national interests.
deanhills
Great post Nick! Really enjoyed reading it. Cool

I have a problem with the US acting as judge, jury and executioner. I think that is just simply wrong. Like they did with Iraq. I'm glad the US is being vetoed by Russia on Syria. I'm not pro Russian, I just think that a country as gun and artillery happy as the US has proven to be, particularly over the last two decades, needs to be reigned in a little. They've had a good share in the destruction of mankind, particularly in Iraq but also everywhere else they've left their footprints. Such as killing Ossama Bin Laden. They seem to be acting as the world police without the world's permission. And they don't seem to have a particularly great record in what they're using their power for either. I'm not impressed with the US pointing fingers at others when their own home isn't that much in order either. Probably one of the highest crime rates in the world, citizens killing one another in mass shootings, including an economy that smells bad with a small group of wealthy entrepreneurs basically owning everything.

While I'm ranting, I hold the US banking system directly responsible for the major collapse at end of 2008. Worst part is the rest of the world slavishly following the US banking system after the US banking industry deregulated itself so it could comingle its business interests and flog any products it likes to its banking customers. If there's a revolution for bringing that system down, I'm joining it for certain! I want my small building society (credit union) with its friendly manager and staff just around the corner from me. Not a ring a ring a rosies telephone customer services person belonging to an impersonal faceless LARGE mega banking corporation, and NEVER being able to get through to a decision making supervisor. That said banking corporation acting as though it OWNS my money. Not earning a cent in interest. What idiocy is this?
manfer
Are they going to prosecute Bush for the use of chemical weapons?