FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Is it possible to boot a laptop with no disk drive?

foumy6
So, I have an old laptop that is missing a cd/dvd drive. It will not boot, only get 1 beeps and stays on a blanks screen. Is there a way to trick it into thinking there is a drive, or force it to boot? It is just an old laptop I want to mess around with, so I dont really want to spend $40 on a new disk drive.

The laptop is a HP Compaq 6820s. If anyone finds a cheaper disk drive it may also be helpful, but I would rather find a work around if possible.
Ankhanu
Does it do post? A RAM count, etc? Can you get into BIOS?
rx9876
If that laptop can access bios, change the boot sequence to USB,
then you can try to boot it from a USB linux O.S.
jmraker
If it still has the "DVD+/-RW SuperMulti DL LightScribe, DVD/CD-RW Combo" drive you can burn a CD or DVD of a Live CD.

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/ca/en/sm/WF06a/12139188-12139280-12139280-12139280-12434660-80583797.html?dnr=1

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Live_CD
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_live_CDs

Before you start you should know it probably won't be windows, and it won't be as fast due to the time it takes to spin up the disk to read something off the disk. You can also "burn" it to a USB thumb drive with less drive access delays and the option to save files to it.
http://www.linuxliveusb.com/en/download
Ankhanu
rx9876 wrote:
If that laptop can access bios, change the boot sequence to USB,
then you can try to boot it from a USB linux O.S.

This is exactly where I was going with my questions Smile
sonam
If you get only one beep I don't think you can do lot of thinks. Try to open your lap and clean out all dust, check connections, etc. Then start it again and see can you load BIOS. Then follow suggestions from other members. Smile

Sonam
Qantas94Heavy
foumy6 wrote:
So, I have an old laptop that is missing a cd/dvd drive. It will not boot, only get 1 beeps and stays on a blanks screen. Is there a way to trick it into thinking there is a drive, or force it to boot? It is just an old laptop I want to mess around with, so I dont really want to spend $40 on a new disk drive.

The laptop is a HP Compaq 6820s. If anyone finds a cheaper disk drive it may also be helpful, but I would rather find a work around if possible.

Do you never see anything on the screen, at all? If so, it might be tough to solve the issue... If you do for a flicker, then you might have a hope of fixing your computer. Anyway, how do you know it's the disk drive at fault? Think
sysna
Optical Drive should not be necessary for booting , i think there is another hardware problem which is making that beep and you can't boot. My laptop was booting without any problem when i was changing my optical drive to blue ray, so please be sure first about that beep, i haven't seen any motherboard beep related to optical drive !
Josso
Can you see the windows file system in linux? It sounds like more than a CD drive problem
Pippo90
Yes, it's possible with a USB flash drive. Try with the program UNetbootin to create an installing USB pendrive (you should also set in the boot at the start of your machine that the USB ports are the first boot option Wink ).
rx9876
The bios beep codes depends on the vendor of the bios.
They got different meanings.

Because you didn't describe the details,
I checked some major bios vendors.

Maybe you should check the bios vendor and get more specific information.

AMI (American Megatrends International) BIOS Beep Codes.
AMI BIOS uses beeps of the same length and pitch. The error is displayed as a number of beeps. For example, 4 beeps indicated a timer failure.
1 Beep (No video) Memory refresh failure Bad memory

Award BIOS Beep Codes
1 Short Beep all systems clear

Phoenix BIOS Beep Codes

Compaq BIOS Beep Codes
riteshk1
I think you can do, If you get BIOS system.
mattk71
If you can get into the bios settings, just set to boot to cd or usb.
I think to get to the bios for hp, you need to hit the F1 key...if that dont work
try F2 or Delete button.
aayushsrivastava14
Thats pretty easy: (But you will need a working pc. Maybe you can take help from a friend or cyber cafe)
1. Download one of the linux iso file(you can try Puppy Linux or Damn Small Linux. Infact any Linux will do)
2. Download UNetBootin (just google it)
3. Insert an empty pen drive
4. Now run UNetbootin and define the path to iso file.
5. Now select the option to write the files on pendrive and the software will take care of the rest!
6. Now insert the pen drive in your pc and open the BIOS settings and change the boot sequence. You can search on the net for help regarding your motherboard's BIOS.
7. Save the settings and reboot and you will be running an OS from you Pen Drive!
schermann
if you want to temporary change the boot-sequence, you can also try to press F12 during bios-post / boot sequence. Modern notebooks show you a boot-menu where you can select the boot device (HDD, DVD, USB, ...)

if you want to create a bootable USB-Stick, download a tool "rufus" on a different PC und format your USB stick with that tool. it creates a Free-Dos bootable stick - enough for diagnostics.