FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

An apple a day keep the doctor away?

jajarvin
The old expression 'an apple a day keep the doctor away' is one of my favorite life instructions.
I follow this advice in my own way by eating two apples a day.

I recommend this procedure to all of you.

Let's consider some of the apple's components and their effect on our health: http://science.howstuffworks.com/life/human-biology/an-apple-a-day.htm

Quote:

Pectin -- Pectin is a form of soluble fiber than lowers both blood pressure and glucose levels.
It can also lower the levels of LDL, or "bad" cholesterol in the body.
Pectin, like other forms of fiber, helps maintain the health of the digestive system.
Apples are an excellent source of pectin.

Boron -- A nutrient found in abundance in apples, boron supports strong bones and a healthy brain.

Quercetin -- A flavonoid, this nutrient shows promise for reducing the risk of various cancers, including cancers in the lungs and breast.
It may also reduce free radical damage. Free radicals develop when atoms in the body's cells have unpaired electrons, which can lead to damage to different parts of the cell, including DNA. Quercetin may neutralize free radical damage, which has been implicated in a variety of age-related health problems, including Alzheimer's disease.

Vitamin C -- Vitamin C boosts immunity, which helps maintain overall health.

Phytonutrients -- Apples are rich in a variety of phytonutrients, including vitamins A and E and beta carotene. These compounds fight damage from free radicals and can have a profound affect on health, including reducing the risk of heart disease, diabetes and asthma.

Apples also act as a toothbrush, cleaning teeth and killing bacteria in the mouth, which may reduce the risk of tooth decay. They're also low in calorie density, one of the trademarks of a healthy food. When a food is low in calorie density you can eat good size portions of the food for relatively few calories. In addition, apples are affordable and readily available.
[/quote]
abhinavm24
true true true. Embarassed
thats my secret.
dietagainstdiabetes
I have just joined here.
I am sure I can call it that. Most gratifying indeed. However it is important to also state it here that the apple can be "consumed' in many different ways. You need not eat it as around fruit. It can be eaten as a whole fruit, yes. But it can be taken with rice too. It makes a good salad combination as well. It can also be blended into a natural drink. The many ways of taking the apple can make the therapy less monotonous while achieving the health goals.[/url]
Queiros
i love apples, good advise Wink
badai
if you are married to a doctor and are tired of her nagging, you really would wish this is true.
codegeek
A nice, fresh apple always cheers me up. I like to chop it up, put some salt on it, and eat it with a toothpick in the winter daytime. Followed by a nap, this is the best way to spend the winter holidays. Yup, you guessed right, I'm really lazy. Very Happy
mshafiq
I always like to eat apples.I have a habit of eating apple early in the morning as soon as when i woke up.I like to eat fruits in the morning.I know apples are good for health.They are nice and juicy.
They reduce cholesterol level in your body.Keep your heart healthy.Protect from cancer.Protect from diabetic.Help in normal bowel movement.it means you don't have constipation.No constipation mean you are healthy. Constipation is cause of lot of diseases.So eat fruits especially apples and be healthy.
amagard
I must say: most days I have been eating an apple I haven't seen a doctor. Wink
Peterssidan
Normally I try to eat one fruit a day but not necessary an apple, but now the apple trees in the garden are producing more apples than we can eat so lately I have been eating at least one apple a day.
mengshi200
I don't think so.according old chinese medical theory ,wild ginger keep the doctor away.hehe.
tonberry
Many countries have their own favorite fruits and vegetables, I guess. I wonder if there is a country with a saying "crack-cocaine will keep the doctors away". Rob Ford could sure add his two cents in this department.

That saying is not as true as it used to be, unfortunately. The problem is in fertlization. It takes a hundred years for nature to enrich the soil with good stuff that will make plants rich in healthy minerals etc. The reality is simple: better and richer soil = crops richer in nutrients useful for our bodies.

The problem is that crops grown on rich soil will look similar to crops grown on poor soil most of the time and even when they don't, farmers know ways to make them look the same (change the color of their skin etc.).

Growing stuff times after times depletes the soil and it needs to be remineralized - this costs substantial amount of money and who would do that if the customer won't even know?

I hope one day new food standards will be introduced. For example, an alternative line of fruits and vegetables grown on great soil could be introduced - I'd gladly pay more if I'd know that what I get is super rich in what my body needs.
CreativeVeganCooking
I agree that apples are healthy, but I think the saying is as much about eating natural, unrefined food as about eating specifically apple. We need to eat varied, not just apple. Try to eat natural, unrefined food, like fruit, vegetables, grains, and nuts. Smile
mshafiq
I love apple.I have routine daily in morning before breakfast i eat apples and also trying of making habit of other family members too.
zimmer
Queiros wrote:
i love apples, good advise Wink

Totally agreed!

I think this quotes more become familiar on a children story.

Its just wired with other countries which they don't have local apple and they need to import it to purchase like Philippines.

There are also more fruits here which is not also present in other countries.
loveandormoney
jajarvin wrote:
The old expression 'an apple a day keep the doctor away' is one of my favorite life instructions.
I follow this advice in my own way by eating two apples a day.

I recommend this procedure to all of you.

Let's consider some of the apple's components and their effect on our health: http://science.howstuffworks.com/life/human-biology/an-apple-a-day.htm

Quote:

Pectin -- Pectin is a form of soluble fiber than lowers both blood pressure and glucose levels.
It can also lower the levels of LDL, or "bad" cholesterol in the body.
Pectin, like other forms of fiber, helps maintain the health of the digestive system.
Apples are an excellent source of pectin.

Boron -- A nutrient found in abundance in apples, boron supports strong bones and a healthy brain.

Quercetin -- A flavonoid, this nutrient shows promise for reducing the risk of various cancers, including cancers in the lungs and breast.
It may also reduce free radical damage. Free radicals develop when atoms in the body's cells have unpaired electrons, which can lead to damage to different parts of the cell, including DNA. Quercetin may neutralize free radical damage, which has been implicated in a variety of age-related health problems, including Alzheimer's disease.

Vitamin C -- Vitamin C boosts immunity, which helps maintain overall health.

Phytonutrients -- Apples are rich in a variety of phytonutrients, including vitamins A and E and beta carotene. These compounds fight damage from free radicals and can have a profound affect on health, including reducing the risk of heart disease, diabetes and asthma.

Apples also act as a toothbrush, cleaning teeth and killing bacteria in the mouth, which may reduce the risk of tooth decay. They're also low in calorie density, one of the trademarks of a healthy food. When a food is low in calorie density you can eat good size portions of the food for relatively few calories. In addition, apples are affordable and readily available.
[/quote]

And the taste of an apple is better than the taste of sugar.
Insanity
I think there's more of it than just eating the apple. It's good to eat more fruit everyday, but I wouldn't take it as a panacea for sickness.
loveandormoney
Depends how strong Your body is. Some people do smoking and they become 110 years old.
BigGeek
I eat an apple a day - but I eat organic apples.

The reason is that Apples have made the Dirty Dozen list for the fruit contaminated with the most pesticides. If you look at the list of fruits and vegetables that have the most pesticide residue they are all sweet and or leafy green - the bugs just love that stuff so they have to spray the frequently to keep them from being eaten by the insects and birds.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/health/dirty-dozen-list-apples-top-2014-list-of-most-pesticide-contaminated-produce-1.1799569

My old house I had a cherry tree in the front yard and a pear tree in the back yard - never got a single cherry - the birds would devour them all before I even thought about picking them. The pears were almost as bad - the birds and insects would eat most of them - and I would only get a few off the tree every year. But then again I never sprayed those trees with anything - they just grew natural - used some fertilizer on them in the spring is all - Miracle grow to be precise Very Happy
deanhills
You're right Biggeek, I've been wondering about what spray is used on the produce that has to travel thousands of mines from the West Coast of North America to the Middle East. They never go off. Like sometimes they last weeks in the fridge. Can't be that healthy.
loveandormoney
BigGeek wrote:

The reason is that Apples have made the Dirty Dozen list for the fruit contaminated with the most pesticides. If you look at the list of fruits and vegetables that have the most pesticide residue they are all sweet and or leafy green - the bugs just love that stuff so they have to spray the frequently to keep them from being eaten by the insects and birds.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/health/dirty-dozen-list-apples-top-2014-list-of-most-pesticide-contaminated-produce-1.1799569

My old house I had a cherry tree in the front yard and a pear tree in the back yard - never got a single cherry - the birds would devour them all before I even thought about picking them. The pears were almost as bad - the birds and insects would eat most of them - and I would only get a few off the tree every year. But then again I never sprayed those trees with anything - they just grew natural - used some fertilizer on them in the spring is all - Miracle grow to be precise Very Happy

This is right. There is a lot of poison in every apple. But in bread there is much more poison. Be careful.
jajarvin
loveandormoney wrote:

BigGeek kirjoitti:

This is right. There is a lot of poison in every apple. But in bread there is much more poison. Be careful.

As I started this discussion I forgot to tell that I always chancel apples that I will eat if I have bought them in a shop.
In this way I do not have to worry how poisonous apples can be.

I have in my garden apple trees and they produce apples that are not poisonous.
Those apples I of course will eat as they are. Smile
loveandormoney
BigGeek wrote:

This is a very good idea.
The best apples of the world come out of Your garden.
playfungames
True, apples are great. I think a fruit a day keeps the doctor away. So, I try to eat at least a fruit a day. Depending upon the seasons, I try certain fruit in certain seasons. Right now it is summer and mangoes are common during this season. So, it's a mango a day for me. Sometimes, I put it up in the mixer with some ice, yogurt and nuts, turn it into a thick juice and drink the refreshing drink.
deanhills
playfungames wrote:
Sometimes, I put it up in the mixer with some ice, yogurt and nuts, turn it into a thick juice and drink the refreshing drink.
That sounds great. I should try it. Usually in summer I have plenty of fresh mango juice but have missed out so far. For now I have an apple in my salad every day. I also like freshly squeezed orange juice. They do it special at a supermarket near where I live where they filter the pulp and some of the taste of the rind is included. Got a really lovely flavour.
loveandormoney
I think You can use any fruit Pineapple is delicious.
mshafiq
Eating apple daily not only keep you away from Doctor but also keep you healthy in old age also.
ReginaGG
BigGeek wrote:

http://www.ctvnews.ca/health/dirty-dozen-list-apples-top-2014-list-of-most-pesticide-contaminated-produce-1.1799569 table

not bad idea, but not easy to achieve
deanhills
Apples ain't what they were many years ago. This week I've been day dreaming about baling out of life for a year or more, and going somewhere natural like Vilcabamba in Ecuador where one can grow one's own vegetables and fruit. And the way of life is a bit closer to earth.

http://www.naturalnews.com/photos.html
loveandormoney
Our apples are fine.
Advice: Take the apple from a tree not out of the supermarket. In the supermarket there is a lot of poison.
You are right.
Haiku2016
It took nearly a year for this post to get a reply. I think that's really cool. Almost like telling a joke and getting the laughter the next day. Patience is the answer. Probably from eating lots of apples.
jestoy0514
@Haiku2016 your right, might be better to start again lol. Now a days a lot of my friends drink apple cider vinegar. Maybe a new reincarnation of apple's capabilities to keep the doctor away.