FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Should FriHost Hire new staff?

Should FriHost hire new staff?
Yes
92%
 92%  [ 12 ]
No
7%
 7%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 13

RoylanM
I've noticed that Frihost has had a lack of staff presence lately and this is not good for a web host especially Frihost to not have regular staff activity because Frihost needs the staff to be here so the web hosting system can be managed and run effeciently. That is why I'm proposing that Frihost hire new staff members.

What does everyone else think?
deanhills
I'd say everything depends on Bondings. The moment he makes his appearance here and particularly in the Staff Forum, staff will make their presence as well.

Having said that however, Frihost is probably at the lowest number of posts as well as forum activity in a long LONG time, and we don't really need that many staff at this low level of activity. What little staff are attending to the forum right now are doing a pretty good job of taking care of everything.

So short answer, no, I don't think we need more staff. We need Bondings. I'm not saying that as an accusation however. I'm grateful that Bondings is still keeping Frihost alive when he is completely unable to spend time on it. As long as he is paying the bills to keep our Websites going, and checking on the servers on a daily basis, we probably don't really have a valid reason to complain about anything.
truespeed
Yes,especially account creators. Imagine a newbie joins,makes his 5 posts,requests hosting,only to be still waiting weeks later to be approved,he isn't going to hang around ,he will look elsewhere,,this isn't good for the forums,accounts should be approved within 24 hours of request,this would then guarantee more forum posts as these new members become regular posters.
Gregoric
I think that Bondings should remain as the one who takes care of the technical background of the whole hosting service but there should be a person or two who would add new accounts, remove spam, answer frihost related questions both on forums and the tickets system. Bondings could only check whether the new 'junior' staff members do their job accordingly and sometimes - provided he has some time to do that - help them with their stuff.

That would help a lot, yes, I like this idea. However, it is all up to Bondings himself, as he could have some experience with such endeavours and could share with us whether that is a good or bad suggestion.
deanhills
truespeed wrote:
Yes,especially account creators. Imagine a newbie joins,makes his 5 posts,requests hosting,only to be still waiting weeks later to be approved,he isn't going to hang around ,he will look elsewhere,,this isn't good for the forums,accounts should be approved within 24 hours of request,this would then guarantee more forum posts as these new members become regular posters.
Good point. Although I'm sure the staff must have made suggestions and communicated all of these concerns to Bondings a few times over. Still, I'd rather have an imperfect Frihost for now (which is not really that imperfect when one looks at it logically), than Bondings have to chuck in Frihost because of lack of time.
abhinavm24
hmmm, request handlinghas been quite slow in mean time.
cybersa
My vote for Yes.
Especially account creator as said by truespeed.
sonam
cybersa wrote:
My vote for Yes.
Especially account creator as said by truespeed.

Me too. We need new account creators otherwise Frihost will die.

Sonam
deanhills
Well if Frihost needs an account creator, I'm available. I've got more than two years of current experience. I enjoy doing it too. I'd love to help with the domains as well.
Sylin
truespeed wrote:

hmm, I think I fall into this category myself and thought about leaving once or twice after having my request just sitting there for almost a month now, I guess I joined at a bad time. But I just have nowhere else to turn to when it comes to free hosting.
I am still optimistic about it though, from what people's been saying, it should be well worth the wait Smile
badai
i agree that frihost need more staff, but frihost is not your normal organization where you can simply hire. bonding will somehow need to know and trust the new staff completely.

so not much we can do about this.
Bluedoll
badai wrote:
i agree that frihost need more staff, but frihost is not your normal organization where you can simply hire. bonding will somehow need to know and trust the new staff completely.

Would you be so kind as to elaborate on what you mean by frihost not being a normal organization?

@Deanhills
You are being very generous to offer your time. I think you have shown much dedication to the site over the years.
RosenCruz
I agree. To run web hosting and/or, moderate the forums we need some extra staff around here Wink
deanhills
Bluedoll wrote:
badai wrote:

Would you be so kind as to elaborate on what you mean by frihost not being a normal organization?

@Deanhills
You are being very generous to offer your time. I think you have shown much dedication to the site over the years.
Thanks Bluedoll. So have many others as well. But yes, I do love Frihost. There is something very special about this place.
RoylanM
I see a lot people who'd be probably willing to help so far and I may try to smush in if Bondings opens an applications for new staff.
Josso
I offered to mod a while ago but as mentioned account creators is a bigger priority. Spam gets canned pretty quickly. I would say in general yes, that's what I voted.
Dementei
Wow it's been awhile since I posted.. so um where's Bondings been at? I have so many website ran off of frihost it's crazy.
LostOverThere
I doubt it's really a choice and more a matter of money/finding someone willing to donate their time.

I'm sure it would be helpful to have more "staff", as you say. But Bondings manages to do a pretty damn fine job on his own, so I'm not concerned.
Blaster
Having been at frihost from when it was busy to now I've noticed a lot change in the presence of technology. Free hosting as we know it is beginning to disappear. With that so is forums like this. Its sad to say but we are coming to an end of an era for a forum like this. Frihost has been around almost the last 9 years. I've been here almost the last 8. Its weird to see that I joined in 2006 when I was still in 8th grade. Now I'm a senior in College.

I havn't been here to really say how posting has been. But it seems as though intrest itself has dropped.
truespeed
Blaster wrote:
Having been at frihost from when it was busy to now I've noticed a lot change in the presence of technology. Free hosting as we know it is beginning to disappear. With that so is forums like this. Its sad to say but we are coming to an end of an era for a forum like this. Frihost has been around almost the last 9 years. I've been here almost the last 8. Its weird to see that I joined in 2006 when I was still in 8th grade. Now I'm a senior in College.

I havn't been here to really say how posting has been. But it seems as though intrest itself has dropped.

Free hosting is on a decline,and the facebook effect is having an affect on forum participation,but with a little tweaking frihost could still thrive,it doesn't have to be a continual downturn.

What I would do.

1: Appoint new staff,both moderators,and more importantly,account creators,we do get new users,but they end up waiting weeks/months to get accepted and leave for elsewhere.
2: Streamline and downsize the forums,by that I mean merge the less active forums,there are far too many categories. On my forum I always merge the less active categories,I think it looks bad on forums where you have categories that haven't seen activity in months,sometimes years.
Bluedoll
This is one subject that is not been touched in this thread regarding staff. The current staff is limited to atheist persuasion and one of the staff is extremely dominating as to how the forum should function. I think new management could possibly also revitalize new membership activity. I could be more specific here but I think most readers understand what I mean. Although frihost is not merely a religious forum the current policies do certainly had a negative impact on the overall forum. It is not merely the facebook trends affecting it. Changing management and policies would be a definite improvement.
Bikerman
Bluedoll wrote:
This is one subject that is not been touched in this thread regarding staff. The current staff is limited to atheist persuasion
That is simply untrue..I don't actually know the religious position of most staff, but I know for a fact that we have several theists.
Quote:
and one of the staff is extremely dominating as to how the forum should function.
and that is misleading. The 'staff' in question is me, so I'll respond directly. I certainly am an atheist and I am one of the few staff members who is an active poster, so I often post as an atheist in appropriate topics.
I mostly limit my moderation to the philosophy and religion forum and, in that forum, I would accept that I might appear to 'domineer' -- for which I make no apology. I think that there is room within the system for one forum where user postings are held to a higher standard than normal. By that I mean that if a user makes an assertion or claim then they are expected to support it, either with evidence or reasoning. It seemed to me that the philosophy forum would be the place for such a thing and I proposed this in the staff forum a long while ago and received tacit approval. I therefore apply different rules in the p&r forum - along the lines just described.

I was aware, when I first proposed this, that it was likely to annoy/provoke some religious posters who think that they should just be able to post their religious views and not be required to offer any support for them - the 'I love Jesus' type of posting that one often sees in forums. Religious postings are, of course, still very welcome, but the poster is expected to defend their position and they must expect that position to be attacked by other posters, as is normal within philosophical debate.

As I anticipated, the changes did indeed annoy some religious posters. This was carefully considered by staff - including me - and I proposed that we setup another forum for those who wished to post religious material and not feel that they had to defend it, or that it would be rigorously criticised. This was done - the faith forum was setup. I agreed, informally, to stay out of that forum and to avoid any moderation of postings within it - and I have honoured that agreement.
A small number of posters were still unhappy with this, but I think this was a reasonable solution and other staff agreed.

So that is the current position and there are no plans to alter it. It does not seem to me to be unreasonable to have one forum which is slightly different to the others. Users of the forum are made aware of those differences - chiefly the requirement for them to support any assertions, and the expectation that any such assertions may be robustly challenged by other posters. If they do not find this acceptable then they are free to post in any of the large number of other forums where this does not apply.

I have taken the time to explain this but I don't intend to enter into a debate about the issue here and I would ask posters not to reply - either supporting or criticising - in this forum. It will sidetrack the thread and I wish to avoid that happening. If any poster does with to express an opinion on this then please do so in a pm to me, or to other staff.
dxverm
I have personally PM'd Bondings about this issue stating that I have experience and would love to help with this issue, but yet to hear a response. I have experience and would like to share it by seeing people getting their free hosting and more support in a timely manner. It took me 3 1/2 weeks to get my hosting account created. So yes I agree we need more dedicated staff that will at least log on once or twice a week to create accounts and assists with technical issues on the users side as well as backend.

Honestly, the whole website could use an update, that's just my opinion. Maybe upgrade to a Wordpress/MyBB backend with the ability to keep user blogs, as well as a facelift and reorginization of the site/forums, maybe adding new advertising for revenue and SEO for traffic.
Blaster
Bondings made this website back in 2005 and upgraded it a few times in 2006/2007. Since then he hasn't done much to it that I can recall. We are still using phpBB2. Bondings has stated several times he will NOT switch. We are using the stock colors for the most part although not the stock format as you may be able to see.

Bondings coded the forum himself for the most part. The point system he made. A few of the other mods that you see he also did.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but when Bondings created this website he was a college student. Since then he has been busy with life and everything that goes along with it. I know how this is especially being a young adult.
deanhills
Blaster wrote:
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but when Bondings created this website he was a college student. Since then he has been busy with life and everything that goes along with it. I know how this is especially being a young adult.
Indeed he was. But even as a college student he was enormously busy. If one checks his Official Blog posts, he would do a disappearance every now and then, but return much more frequently and much more energetic than he is now. You're right of course too that he has started his career in "real life" and seems to be completely immersed in a huge project that has him burning the midnight oil almost 7 days a week. As it should be at this time of his life. Pretty awesome to think that with being as busy as he is he still has Frihost on his mind.
Blaster
The bills for the servers are still coming in and i'm sure adsense is still sending in money. So for it not to be on his mind I think it would be hard.