FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Windows 8.1

Tony The Tiger
Is it worth upgrading from Windows 8.0 to Windows 8.1? I had problems with performing the upgrade on my current Hewlett-Packard laptop computer but have a new one coming next week that comes with Windows 8.0 pre-installed.

MODERATOR - Moved from Software to Operating Systems

- Ankhanu
cybersa
It depends on you.
Check the Changelog of Windows 8.1
If you like it,then upgrade it.
I think there is no up-gradation fees.
Da Rossa
It's always worth doing the upgrade. Specially when there are no fees. Why not? Take a look at the changes. No problem should arise.
Tony The Tiger
cybersa wrote:
It depends on you.
Check the Changelog of Windows 8.1
If you like it,then upgrade it.
I think there is no up-gradation fees.

I would love to look at the changes. Is that what the change log is? What are some of the best reviews of the upgrade. I would like the experts to interpret the changes for me. Me reading a change log might not be terribly productive or informative.
Marcuzzo
is windows 8.1 already RTM? I thought is was still a preview
Marcuzzo
is windows 8.1 already RTM? I thought is was still a preview
zimmer
about window 8.1 -There are some caveats when installing Windows 8.1 onto a computer running Windows XP or Vista. While users upgrading from Windows 7 will be able to carry over their files during the installation process, those using XP or Vista will have to manually bring over files if they want to use them with Windows 8.1. If you find yourself in this situation, the Windows Team advises that you purchase the retail DVD to perform a clean install instead of downloading the OS.

You’ll notice that the Windows Store has a new look which makes it easier to discover and download new apps. And the apps that are included with Windows 8.1 Preview let you do a bunch of cool things. For example, with Reading List you can save articles and stories across apps and devices, and the updated Photos app gives you fast and fun editing.
sysna
No much difference from 8, i'm currently using win 8.1 (Preview)

There is some differences like "a start menu" but that is nothing near then start menu you have seen in windows 7 , it is just a shortcut to metro UI Neutral , but a right click on it would give you many good options like accessing some control panel stuffs and also shutting down the pc and etc.

Also it seems that multi monitor support is not better, i haven't tested it so i can't tell. also it boots directly to desktop if you shut down it from desktop in the last time. Also the search is now better than win 8 but not as good as win 7 still.

Many other small changes are done but i haven't found them any useful.
Tony The Tiger
sysna wrote:
No much difference from 8, i'm currently using win 8.1 (Preview)

There is some differences like "a start menu" but that is nothing near then start menu you have seen in windows 7 , it is just a shortcut to metro UI Neutral , but a right click on it would give you many good options like accessing some control panel stuffs and also shutting down the pc and etc.

Also it seems that multi monitor support is not better, i haven't tested it so i can't tell. also it boots directly to desktop if you shut down it from desktop in the last time. Also the search is now better than win 8 but not as good as win 7 still.

Many other small changes are done but i haven't found them any useful.

I miss the start menu because I could find recently opened files by program, which is better than Windows 8 where I seem to have to search for the recently opened files among my folders.
riteshk1
even i am also searching that there is any way to update windows 8 to 8.1. May be your discussion is helpful for me also. Smile