FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Vevo vs. YouTube

Tony The Tiger
Can someone explain the difference to me between Vevo and YouTube. I just saw Miley Cyrus' Vevo posting of her "Wrecking Ball" video. I don't even understand why artists prefer one type of video host to the other. Do they use different technologies? Operate on different operating systems? Have higher performance ratings? Why are two different platforms successful? Is Vevo just for music? I have never seen anything but a music single on Vevo, whereas on Youtube, I have seen an extremely wide variety of video types.
Gatos7
Take a look here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vevo.

Basically vevo started from Google along with some music companies (Sony Music Entertainment, Universal Music Group etc) as a way to post music on the web with advertisement and split the revenue from the adds.

It also offers some extra features if you open a vevo account as opposed to a youtube account like itunes sync and better playlist support. There are also dedicated apps for it on both IOS and Android
Tony The Tiger
Gatos7 wrote:
Take a look here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vevo.

Basically vevo started from Google along with some music companies (Sony Music Entertainment, Universal Music Group etc) as a way to post music on the web with advertisement and split the revenue from the adds.

It also offers some extra features if you open a vevo account as opposed to a youtube account like itunes sync and better playlist support. There are also dedicated apps for it on both IOS and Android

Thanks for the summary. Are you familiar with Vimeo? I just saw a great video on that today. How does Vimeo compare to Vevo and YouTube? Is there video upload market share data somewhere? What are the most popular places to upload by market share? What about popularity as measured by pageviews?