FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Email notification - Warning: 350 emails have just been sent

zimmer
Hi,

Good day!

I have recieved this notification on my email; below are the details of notification:

"The zimmer account has just finished sending 350 emails.
There could be a spammer, the account could be compromised, or just sending more emails than usual.

After some processing of the /etc/virtual/usage/zimmer.bytes file, it was found that the highest sender was zimmer@host.frihost.org, at 351 emails.

The top authenticated user was zimmer, at 351 emails.
This accounts for 100% of the emails. The higher the value, the more likely this is the source of the emails.
An authenticated username is the user and password value used at smtp time to authenticate with exim for delivery.

The most common path that the messages were sent from is /usr/local/directadmin/custombuild, at 351 emails (100%).
The path value may only be of use if it's pointing to that of a User's home directory.
If the path is a system path, it likely means the email was sent through smtp rather than using a script.

This warning was generated because the 350 email threshold was hit.

================================
Automated Message Generated by DirectAdmin"

May i know what is this all about? I did not use any email so far on frihost. Anybody encounter his also?
Qantas94Heavy
zimmer wrote:
Hi,

Good day!

I have recieved this notification on my email; below are the details of notification:

"The zimmer account has just finished sending 350 emails.
There could be a spammer, the account could be compromised, or just sending more emails than usual.

After some processing of the /etc/virtual/usage/zimmer.bytes file, it was found that the highest sender was zimmer@host.frihost.org, at 351 emails.

The top authenticated user was zimmer, at 351 emails.
This accounts for 100% of the emails. The higher the value, the more likely this is the source of the emails.
An authenticated username is the user and password value used at smtp time to authenticate with exim for delivery.

The most common path that the messages were sent from is /usr/local/directadmin/custombuild, at 351 emails (100%).
The path value may only be of use if it's pointing to that of a User's home directory.
If the path is a system path, it likely means the email was sent through smtp rather than using a script.

This warning was generated because the 350 email threshold was hit.

================================
Automated Message Generated by DirectAdmin"

May i know what is this all about? I did not use any email so far on frihost. Anybody encounter his also?

That's rather odd - have you ensured that you have no e-mail accounts apart from the default on Frihost, lower the limits if you can, check your web scripts can't send email directly, and also that your account hasn't been compromised? That is all I can think that is somewhat probable - weird.
zimmer
i have check everything and its all normal. In fact my site is offline as of now.. it is still under development for 4 month.. because i revised it and sometimes i dont have time to work on it.

But when i check my email that is been the issue and i am shock that comes from frihost so i immediately post here so that i can have information.
RosenCruz
You ve got any script installed on your hosting account ?
william
My notification was different:

Quote:
A new message or response with subject:

Warning: 1471 emails have been sent yesterday by william

has arrived for you to view.

Hadn't actually spotted that message until I was contacted about how much server load it was causing. Confused Basically, I had an old forum that was even more dormant than the rest of my site (I was just trying out myBB) that got bombarded with spambots. These spambots took no hesitation to send out tons of emails as well.

Though, I'm not sure if what happened to me is similar to what happened to you (since your site is offline). I suppose it could be a script.
Qantas94Heavy
william wrote:

Quote:

Hadn't actually spotted that message until I was contacted about how much server load it was causing. Confused Basically, I had an old forum that was even more dormant than the rest of my site (I was just trying out myBB) that got bombarded with spambots. These spambots took no hesitation to send out tons of emails as well.

Though, I'm not sure if what happened to me is similar to what happened to you (since your site is offline). I suppose it could be a script.

It could be that someone is exploiting a function in your site (such as the email someone function in some forums) that might be causing the issue. You might want to see which area of your site has the most traffic, and seeing what's there and whether anything exploitable would be seen there. Good luck!
william
Qantas94Heavy wrote:
william wrote:

Quote:

It could be that someone is exploiting a function in your site (such as the email someone function in some forums) that might be causing the issue. You might want to see which area of your site has the most traffic, and seeing what's there and whether anything exploitable would be seen there. Good luck!

Yeah, that is most likely what happened. I don't recall the settings for that forum, but I imagine most things besides mods and themes were set to default. Doesn't matter, I hadn't used it in six years, so I just shut it down.