FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Losing Weight

kaylors
I have no place to run and no gym access. I have a bare room at my disposal. I'm not very heavy but kinda flabby. Lots of extra fat, mainly around the belly portion. I need to get rid of it.

Currently, the only thing I'm doing is rope-skipping. Around 700-1000 skips a day. Also cut down on calories.

Any other suggestions?
deanhills
Skipping is perfect. If you could get some weights, you could use that to tone up as well. I'm sure if you Google it you'll find plenty of introductory courses on working out with weights.

Good to cut down calories, but for me it's the quality of what you eat that is more important than the quantity. If you eat nourishing food you will feel more satisfied. Nourishing for me means square meals having protein at every meal, such as chicken, fish, lean meat, eggs, etc. I very rarely eat grains and lean towards the Paleo Diet where focus is on getting all carbohydrates from vegetables and fresh fruit. I don't drink enough water, but apparently with diets, and particularly if you work out regularly, it is recommended to have at least eight glasses of water a day.
mshafiq
Here some important and easy step that help a lot in weight lose as i am doing for me too.
First one is always eat in small portion instead of eating a lot at a time. Like eat five to six small meal daily instead of eating big meal.
Foods with healthy fats like olives, salmon and walnuts they are very good to eat as you will not feel hungery very early.
Oat cereal is very good. Eating a cup of oatmeal in the morning will prevent you from gorging in the afternoon.
One important thing is that always plane a head so that we have less chances to eat unhealthy food.
Never ever try to skip meal.because this is not a good idea.
Always have vegetables on hand. big bag of frozen mixed vegetables in olive oil and garlic. Add some red pepper or turmeric for additional flavor.
Always try to share your weight loss goals with your friends and family.In this way you have more ideas and more information about how to controll body weight.
appsdevelop
Running is one of the best forms of exercise for losing or maintaining a consistent weight. You will find that it is a leading way to burn off extra calories and that it is the second most effective exercise in terms of calories burned per minute, following only after cross country skiing.
mshafiq
There are lot of method to lose wait. Excerise is very important and also good take care of diet.
myleshi
I lost about 100 lbs over the course of about a year by the following:

1. Watch calories (calculate your maintenance level and eat 20% below that).
2. Moderate exercise (I ride a bicycle every day, barring weather).

It really comes down to those 2 simple things. Diet and exercise. Grandma was right after all Very Happy
Blaster
I'm in the process of trying to lose weight. I try to make sure that I am more active during the day and also I have tried running. Even if its just a mile any little bit can help really.
BigGeek
I'm old, been doing this a long time, and still use an Olympic bar for most of my workout.

As far as getting a good workout, I do not even need a bar, in a bare room like kaylors has I could punish most people and have the sweating and huffing and puffing in 5 minutes or less.

Do calisthenics, squat thrusts, push ups, mountain climbers, bear crawls, non weighted squats, single leg squats, use a broom handle between two chairs for inverted rows. There are so many ways to workout hard with no equipment it is not funny. Go to t-nation and search on "third world workouts", there a number of guys that use some off the cuff, improvised equipment to get a hell of a workout.

As far as running, skip it, it is not effective for fat loss, the steady state cardio and fat loss equation is a myth, and not effective, use interval training instead, run through a series of exercises and stop and catch your breath (30 second rest) and repeat, do it for as many sets a possible, don't over do it, and then work up by adding a set once a week or more often if you feel up to it.

Here are some articles that explain why running for fat loss is ineffective:

http://www.t-nation.com/training/death-of-steady-state-cardio
http://www.t-nation.com/training/final-nail-in-the-cardio-coffin
http://www.t-nation.com/training/fasted-cardio-eats-muscle
http://www.t-nation.com/training/regular-cardio-will-make-you-fat
http://tnation.t-nation.com/free_online_forum/diet_blog_hammer_velocity_shugart/running_makes_you_fat
Jones2020
By just eating right and not exercising you will achieve weight loss... Food is important
amagard
We have had this topic recently in "How to loose weight...?".
As I wrote there:
Quote:
Get enough sleep: "Make a Sleep Plan to Help You Lose Weight"
And avoid alcohol, because this keeps your liver too busy to handle other food properly, at least according to this article: "The Science Behind Why Beer Gives You a Beer Belly".

And: go running or doing any other endurance sports, as appsdevelop already mentioned it.
zimmer
kaylors wrote:
I have no place to run and no gym access. I have a bare room at my disposal. I'm not very heavy but kinda flabby. Lots of extra fat, mainly around the belly portion. I need to get rid of it.

Currently, the only thing I'm doing is rope-skipping. Around 700-1000 skips a day. Also cut down on calories.

Any other suggestions?

Stop posting on the forum and push your self now!

If you dont have budget go out on your house and do walking and jogging on the street. I guess street jogging is free. right?

Also, get motivated everyday. Do not depend on others.

Idea
mshafiq
Exercise like yoga,zomba.there are lots of exercise that suits your body and keep you fit.
These exercise do not want any money just do your self.
Exercise is very important as sleep.so make a habit of exercise daily
Yoga is very good to loss weight.it keep your body slim because of streching of body mussels
Many yoga exercise put strength in your body you can support the weight of your own body in new ways, including balancing on one leg , or arms
Yoga helps shape long, lean muscles
I am drinking Luke warm lemon water early in the morning as soon as i woke up.My this habit changed my life for ever.Because Luke warm water with lemon drops cleans my digestive system by removing all unwanted material.In this way whole day i feel happy and fresh.Lemon has very important role in freshens of skin.It is good cleaner of Liver and digestive system.
CreativeVeganCooking
I say as the others, diet and exercise. Try to eat food in its natural form; that is, avoid highly processed, refined, and junk food. Eat plenty of fruit and vegetables, and avoid animal products like meat and dairy (second-hand food). If you want some snack, go for nuts and dried fruit and other sources of fat/sugar in its natural form.
Also, eat a good breakfast it has been shown to help people loose weight because they are less inclined to snack during the day. There is a saying that you should eat like a king for breakfast, like a queen for lunch, and like a poor man for supper. Most people eat their biggest meal for supper (dinner), but since the day's work is over, all that energy has time to be stored in the body during night instead of burned through activity. Also, when you eat less at night, you will have more appetite to eat a substantial breakfast.
And another thing I really want to point out is to drink a lot of water it helps to clean out the body. You should drink at least eight glasses of water a day, so bring a water bottle with you so you can take a sip now and then.

A quick recap:
- Eat natural food, e.g. fruit, vegetables, nuts, etc.
- Avoid refined and second-hand food
- Eat the biggest meal in the morning and the smallest in the evening
- Drink plenty of water
- Exercise whenever possible