FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Improve Worpress Multilanguage speed

biolu
Hello everybody,

I am using WPML for my website and it is damn slow! Sometime it takes me up to 4/5 seconds to upload main page!
I am already using a theme which is compatible with WPML, removed all the useless pluggins but still, can't figure out how to cut the loading speed of the website...
Anyone has an advice or a experience to share?

Thanks a lot!
medesignz
biolu wrote:
Hello everybody,

I am using WPML for my website and it is damn slow! Sometime it takes me up to 4/5 seconds to upload main page!
I am already using a theme which is compatible with WPML, removed all the useless pluggins but still, can't figure out how to cut the loading speed of the website...
Anyone has an advice or a experience to share?

Thanks a lot!
What does the support say on the plugin website?
biolu
Not much actually, last time I asked for some help (with some strings that the software could not detect), they pretty much said I had to figure out bu myself. I don't blame them they can't check every line of code of each website but still, a bit disappointed for a paid software...
SonLight
It's a little hard to suggest how to fix a problem with a closed proprietary plugin when we don't understand how it works.
I assume it machine-translates pages to other languages on the fly. If so, it would have to use caching to get reasonable performance. Is it possible that it is always dynamically translating and somehow fails to keep and reference a copy when the same page is referenced again?

The pattern of slowness might provide some clues. Is it slow even on pages with nothing to translate? If so, it could be erroneously trying to translate those, or the problem might not be related to the translation process. If some pages do load fairly quickly, the language content and type of pages that work well are also clues.

I suggest looking at log files to see if error messages or unexpected operations occur. There are tools available which show you the timing of the individual requests by your browser. If the plugin depends on a third-party site for the translations, the slowness might be mostly in the time waiting for that site.
biolu
Yeah thanks. I also have difficulties to see a pattern but it might be a caching problem involved here. I noticed that opening the website for the first time is usually quite slow (takes up to 5/6 sec), but after that, most of the pages (with or without translated contents) open qui smoothly. But for unknown reason, at some point, there is another breakdown and basically any webpage just doesn't open.
medesignz
biolu wrote:
Yeah thanks. I also have difficulties to see a pattern but it might be a caching problem involved here. I noticed that opening the website for the first time is usually quite slow (takes up to 5/6 sec), but after that, most of the pages (with or without translated contents) open qui smoothly. But for unknown reason, at some point, there is another breakdown and basically any webpage just doesn't open.
What does it use to detect language?!
biolu
I desactivated the translation using mo files, it kinda reduced the uploading speed (from 4s to 1s, so it's quite good).
I guess there were some problems with queries.
Thank you guys anyway!
SonLight
I'm glad to hear you made some progress. Now I wonder if you selectively enabled translation for a specific page, could we find measurement techniques that would tell us what kind of problem there is with it?

I looked up a little info about WPML and it looks like a great idea; well worth paying for the package. If you can find a specific page that is slow when translating and fast when not, I hope you can share it with us to see if we can find a workaround for whatever the problem is.