FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

is the sun really going to burn up someday?

stanleykc1
I heard the sun is the closest star to earth and it is currently burning up and one day it is going to burn out. Is this really true? And how long will it take the sun to burn out. This is really scary though I'm sure I won't be around to witness it but how true is this?
Bikerman
Yes it is true. It will be in about another 3-4 billion years, so no need to start packing just yet.
amagard
"bild der wissenschaft" writes: 90 % of all stars in the universe will end some time as a white dwarf, including our sun. Our sun will continue burning for the next 7.6 billion years ...
Nyasro
ofcourse Smile
every things has a life and all ends when time comes
so does SUN.
codegeek
Nyasro wrote:
ofcourse Smile
every things has a life and all ends when time comes
so does SUN.

The sun has a life? Well, maybe you're speaking figuratively. About the sun burning out, I really wouldn't worry about it. Yes, it's going to happen, but humanity will most probably be long gone by then. They'll either have moved to different planets and colonized the galaxy or will more likely be extinct. I mean we're talking billions of years here. They probably won't look anything like us, all the flora and fauna on earth will be completely different from what we have now. That is, you know, if a large asteroid doesn't wipe out everything. What is the probability of a large, life-destroying asteroid hitting the earth before the sun burns out? 100%. What is the probability that humans will survive it? Nobody knows!
asnani04
Yes, the sun has completed nearly half its life and will burn out after completing the other half. And there's a lot of time, about 5 billion years till then, so no need to worry. Whether humans survive till then is a different issue altogether. First of all, conditions on earth will not be favourable many years before the sun dies, for survival. Secondly, I don't know if humans would be able to find alternate resources, as one by one they all get fully consumed. One can only wait and watch.
jajarvin
One picture tells you more than thousand words:

Mrs_Robota
yes, it will happen, I wonder if the humanity would find a way for survive or if there will be any humanity to that time...
spinout
The sun have a life... I wonder how dumb a thing must be to exclude it from "life"?
Grass? life? Well it grows. Triffid? well it moves alteast! Cool Ah, if you don't have seen it please watch the day of the triffids, a 50/60s horror movie!
So something that burn don't have a life I suppose.
Ankhanu
spinout wrote:
The sun have a life... I wonder how dumb a thing must be to exclude it from "life"?
Grass? life? Well it grows. Triffid? well it moves alteast! Cool Ah, if you don't have seen it please watch the day of the triffids, a 50/60s horror movie!
So something that burn don't have a life I suppose.

No the Sun isn't alive... nor does it burn.

If one understands how life if defined (I suggest you do some reading, it's been covered here on Frih and is readily available to read about elsewhere on the web), it's clear that stars do not fit the description, while organisms like grasses do.

Nuclear fusion is not burning; there is no oxidation nor reduction involved.
Arrogant
It will burn out of Hydrogen someday
Arrogant
yep, it certainly is
Someday the fuel is gonna burn out
dansm01
Bikerman wrote:
Yes it is true. It will be in about another 3-4 billion years, so no need to start packing just yet.

And that's not the worst of it. Before it burns out, it's going to become a so-called red giant and expand to a size that's bigger than the earth's orbit. So before it gets really cold, it's gonna get really hot.
Nick2008
All stars come to an end and that obviously includes the sun. But there will always be new ones created after supernovas and such. Humans on Earth won't survive when the sun does to an end, but by that time we'll probably be colonizing other planets.
BruceChastain
everything will burn out eventually, in the end everything is cold still and black. actually in the end there is even less than that from what I've read.
zarawatsonn
it may be happen some day, it is a prediction, but it is true that everything have its own life cycle.