FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

I can hear a hard drive cut off.... But why

Possum
Hi

I had some spare hard drives (ATA) so I put them all into my new (second hand ) computer. I can hear one of them switch off after 30min. It goes on again if accessed.

Is there a way fro me to stop this. Also is this a function of the hard drive or the computer....

thank you...
william
I'm assuming you're running Windows, in which case it's the operating system that's making them turn off (though, some newer hard drivers have this functionality built into the firmware). If you are actually running Windows, you can turn it off from the Power Options in the Control Panel.
badai
which one is better? auto turn off or disable it? which one will make the drive last longer? i don't mind power consumption. i want the drive to last longer.
Possum
Good Questions Bada..
Da Rossa
Also don't forget to check for funny noises and clicks on the hard drive. If that's the case, then replace it immediately! Failure is coming. There is no help to this unfortunately, but to keep regular backups and, if you're ok with that, always have a brand new hard drive to replace as soon as one starts failing.
dabyd64
yeah, it's powersaving features. In windows, co to control panel, power options. Edit the active profile and go to advanced, you'll see "poweroff hard disk after....30 minutes".
Set it to never and you're done!