FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Brain Efficiency

Dennise
It's been said that the human brain functions at only about 20% efficiency.

What I find interesting and question is this: how is that efficiency determined? Assuming the efficiency is energy efficiency, one must know both energy in and energy out.

I could accept that energy input can be somehow measured on the basis of brain glucose consumption while performing intense mental tasks. But, how can brain energy output be measured?

This has always puzzled me.

Any ideas out there?
kelseymh
Dennise wrote:

What I find interesting and question is this: how is that efficiency determined? Assuming the efficiency is energy efficiency, one must know both energy in and energy out.

I could accept that energy input can be somehow measured on the basis of brain glucose consumption while performing intense mental tasks. But, how can brain energy output be measured?

Any ideas out there?

So far as I know, it's complete urban legend crapola. The "20%" or "10%" or "1/7th" or whatever random figure shows up, basically comes from assuming that only the cerebral cortex (the outermost, folded-up layer) is involved in "brain functions", and comparing the mass of the cortex to the total brain mass. As you can probably see, that's utter nonsense, for so many reasons that it would be pointless to enumerate them.
spinout
In the 70s-80s I was told the brain only use 5 - 7 %, I think 7% was the number that most was heard about. And today well not it is the other way around. I suppose back then they got eyes on the savants, but they didn't grasp the disablement of the rest of the brains functions.

So is there a superbrain "normal" out there? I don't think so. Hm, the superbrain case is in a brittish guy (he has autism) I suppose. He learned the Islandic lingo in a week Shocked with good pronaunsination (he that a hard word to spell, have mercy on me). Chek him out, he has a famous TEDtalk too.
spinout
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pzd7ReqiQnE

Daniel Tammet's rare condition
Agil1ty
Dennise wrote:

Any ideas out there?

In biology the term what wires together fires together exists..meaning neurons that are inactive die off (they have no use and would waste energy). It's urban myth
Mason_Baumgar
And so perhaps there is some sort of superbrain "normal" on the market? We don't believe consequently. Hm, the particular superbrain circumstance is in some sort of brittish guy (he provides autism) I assume. He / she learned the particular Islandic language in the 1 week Amazed along with very good pronaunsination (he a tricky word for you to enter, have whim upon me). Chek him out there, he has some sort of well known TEDtalk also.
Chogart
I remember I watched a movie on Discovery about that. I remember they examined a lot of people and almost all of them used the maximum of their brain (100%). They said it's a myth.