FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Stupid Question: Why do men have nipples?

jongoldsz
Why do men have nipples?

My Bio honors teacher asked this question earlier today. Does anyone know the answer?
tingkagol
Much like saying why do we have everything else on our body.
jongoldsz
Rephrased question:

What are nipples meant for on men? And if they are useless why are they formed?
izcool
There's many sites on Google that can give you the answer to that.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&c2coff=1&rls=GGLG%2CGGLG%3A2005-37%2CGGLG%3Aen&q=Why+do+men+have+nipples%3F

Maybe it's worth a look ? Confused

- Mike.
lilrage
humans and many other animal have body parts/features that have no use what so ever. there are only three reasonable answers that i could think of. The first reason would be that they were used in the past while the animal was evolving. Another reason would be that they are to be used later on in the animals evolution. The last is that something screwed up and its just there.
bananaphone
why do we have a tailbone?? why do we have earlobes??

they're just leftovers from evolution
stiffler
I have heard that supposedly, should the women in the world stop producing breastmilk, that the men would just instinctly start producing it......dunno if that is true or not. But it makes sense.
mceejaydee
Everything should have a purpose!!!
jongoldsz
Answer:

Men have nipples because when a male is developing in a womb the X chromosome kicks in earlier than the Y chromosome. Later the Y chromosome kicks in. In other words your body begins developing the same way a females body does and then the Y chromosome kicks in and your body starts developing as a male.
mceejaydee
Interesting, I think i learned that i science class
godam64
one of the function is for sexual activity.
it's one of the most sensitive part of our body.
usually use for torment
budazz
its for pleasure.........
pietpuk
It is proof that in the beginning men and women are equel, the first few months of our life (at least) in this time the "basics" are develloped indepentent of your going to be a man or woman. One of these developments is the getting nipples, in puberty hormonal influens help to do the rest.

(please don't mind the spelling and grammar Embarassed , if you do wonder if your dutch would be as good as my english Confused )
argha
It is proof that in the beginning men and women are NOT equel.......

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

SIZE DO MATTER...
leon44
i thought it was so that a baby can suck on them if the mother dies, getting no food but it relaxes the baby
tefa_taftaf2010
every part of our body has a benfit to us

that mean nippls are useful

may be it's usefu; but we all don't know

what ever i'll ask a doctor Wink Question
PatTheGreat42
Nipples are formed on the fetus before there is any gender distinction. They offer men no particular advantage, but they're just sorta... there.

In a related note, I had three nipples at one point. One started appearing while the other disappeared. It sorta migrated, really.
psycosquirrel
Um... Thats wierd.

I got shot with a paintball gun close-range in the center of the chest and had a "third nipple" for a while...

Back on topic, I believe that it is due to the X chromosome being active before the Y chromosome during development. I may be wrong, but I do know that it is possible for men to lactate... Though I have never heard of it actually occurring.
lbs
I heard about a man in a third world country, and his wive died in childbirth. He let the child suck and started producing milk a day or two later. Saved the baby! Glad it wasn't me Very Happy
joshua_erceg
I think the part about the X & Y chromosomes makes the most sense...
But I thought that they would have both "kicked in" at the same time...
tingkagol
godam64 wrote:
one of the function is for sexual activity.
it's one of the most sensitive part of our body.
usually use for torment

Laughing lol. Please, torment me with my useless nipples.
Helios
I actually saw a TV program about this topic..

When a baby forms inside the womb, the original sex of the baby is female.. so the nipples are created before the pen*s and they're like an appendix.

So basically men can live w/o nipples.. =|
Dark-Tech
jongoldsz wrote:
Answer:

Men have nipples because when a male is developing in a womb the X chromosome kicks in earlier than the Y chromosome. Later the Y chromosome kicks in. In other words your body begins developing the same way a females body does and then the Y chromosome kicks in and your body starts developing as a male.

about 6 people have said this and this is true but the next question is if it does occur before gender diferentiation than why exactly do we have them if they serve as distribution "nozel" for breast milk, making themn predominantly female oriented

i believe that at one point in evolution allhuman were hermaphrodites, no not looking as we do now nut in a previous form like an amoeba
in this state we produced genetically identical offspring and over time through cross breeding between these forms we slowly mutated because of damaged X chromosones turned into Y chromosones millions of years of evolution later through a need for botha orgasn the species formed known commonly as humans and that nipples being in the upper part of the torso not the lower part happened to remain intact unlike certain other things in that region

2nd all that BS about male lactation in event of parent deat is just BS males are not equiped with organs capable of producing a milk source capable of sustaining life.
OutlawSpirit
tingkagol wrote:
Much like saying why do we have everything else on our body.

i agree Smile
bsimpsn05
"2nd all that BS about male lactation in event of parent deat is just BS males are not equiped with organs capable of producing a milk source capable of sustaining life."

Men do have the milk ducts, sinuses, and mammary tissue required to breastfeed, and we also have oxytocin and prolactin, which are hormones that produce milk... Its not a very popular thing, but yes, it is possible for men to breastfeed.
myrevolt
my friend has a book with the same name Why men have nipples its got all kinds of things like "are you a virgin if you have used a tampon" weird things like that, he showed it to me during a firedrill. oh those firedrills that no one takes seriously, cause come one, with brick buildings what are you worried about.
RebelYell4x4
men and women share many characteristics such as the female clitorous is the same as the male penis except much smaller. Also, like the female, men have nipples too. For those of you that have gone through puberty your nipples were probably sore or felt hard. Thats because there are hormone producing "factories" so to say in your tits. So nipples in men are for good use and are very necessary...

just search google if you want to learn more about it i guess...lol..nice question tho..
btocakci
really, what a idiot question? I send all my love to your teacher. He/she is too clever, too creative...I cant manage to answer, i am offline, i am disconnect, i give "blue screen"...Uhhh!!!
yzy
hahahahahhahahahahahahhaha.........
Men,you must cause or allow to take milk at the breast or udder; nurse.
It is natural. The same as why we have mouth,eyes or ....
byt
bsimpsn05 wrote:

Men do have the milk ducts, sinuses, and mammary tissue required to breastfeed, and we also have oxytocin and prolactin, which are hormones that produce milk... Its not a very popular thing, but yes, it is possible for men to breastfeed.

new born babies will often produce very small amounts of breast milk due to the sharing of blood/hormones with the mother before birth, this affects both male and female babbies, I know this from experience (I have 5 kids) and deffinatly males can produce milk.
summer-sensation
mceejaydee wrote:
Everything should have a purpose!!!

I agree, everything should have a purpose. And if it doesn't have one with an overly obvious one, then...

Uh...I don't have an answer...

*whispers* This is where someone jumps in and explains it....

You could just make a purpose up for it. Like...we have earlobes to be pierced and pulled on (my friends pulled on each others for Cross Country).
dydx
Clearly men have nipples for oggling at and poking.