FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What is DirectAdmin???

erlendhg
I just wondered.
Now that the new frihost servers has come, I see a lot chatting about DirectAdmin instead of Cpanel.

But....

What IS actually DirectAdmin?

Can someone explain that for me???
dxhunter
Also for me ınteresting Direct admin :S I think little same Cpanel ?
quick_basic
Its basicly like Cpanel but less features. Like it doesnt have fantastico.
DutchManiac
Direct Admin is pretty same as Cpanel but Direct admin only got the basic things like SQL Subdomains emails etc etc.
But no tools and system information (so I say)
n0obie4life
FFS. Don't talk crap!

Directadmin does NOT get basic features!

Feature-wise, Directadmin and cpanel are almost the same!

http://www.directadmin.com:2222

User - demo_user
Pass - demo

http://www.lightningservers.net/cpanel-demo/frontend/bluelagoon/

Yes. While the main tradeoff between the 2 cpanels are that they don't have Fantastico (which is a horrid thing IMO).

DirectAdmin's simple interface beats it, so a newbie like me doesn't have to spend hours understanding it. Directadmin also have several features that Cpanel does NOT have. I can't tell them all here, but just look at the demo Wink
DutchManiac
thnx n0obie4life, I have never really seen Direct admin, but my friends told me that its more basic.
I only have worked with cPanel, but I cant wait to try out Direct admin.
Now I have seen the features, I will not talk crap any more ^^
Thnx again!
Slick
i prefer cpanel myself... for complete noobies the fantastico feature is a must! saves so much time and hassle for people that dnt know anything! Wink
abhinav
for me its DirectAdmin
which is better
n0obie4life
Slick wrote:
i prefer cpanel myself... for complete noobies the fantastico feature is a must! saves so much time and hassle for people that dnt know anything! Wink

IMO, if you are a complete noobie, you should be doing things yourself and not rely on external and dumb programs to install things for you!

You will not become good by asking Fantastico to install ANYTHING for you. Learning how to install/debug/config things youself is the best.
DJHicks
n0obie4life wrote:
Slick wrote:

IMO, if you are a complete noobie, you should be doing things yourself and not rely on external and dumb programs to install things for you!

You will not become good by asking Fantastico to install ANYTHING for you. Learning how to install/debug/config things youself is the best.

thats all well and good but some users arent gonna be interested in being able to install scripts etc.. they just want to use the facilities available.. hence y there are still people using crappy freewebs!

hahaha Laughing
supersonic
n0obie4life wrote:
Slick wrote:

Having another program due work for you won't really help. After I go use to using cpanel I stopped using fantastico and installed phpbb on my own. Your just lazy or you don't know how to read if you use fantastico.
godam64
basically we don't need fantastico. fantastico is only for beginner.
usually there is preinstalled scripts looks like fantastico.
or you can manually install the script in some step. and don't forget to try it.
arno
I prefer cpanel. but frihost gave me Direct Admin Sad
shaggly
n0obie4life wrote:
Slick wrote:

Hear, Hear. This is the most sensible thing I've heard anyone say in a long time....

I'm an admin on another large forum (which, granted is a gaming forum) and we have an absolute plethora of members who wuld rather have someone simply tell them how to do things everytime, or better still have them done for them. My method has been, and always will be (failing a good link to the manual or tutorial) to write out the most detailed instructions known to man...

If you don't do things the originally intended way at least once, then how are you ever going to debug anything when it goes wrong? Simple, most people don't. Then they are the ones who end up completely uninstalling and reinstalling things when 9 times out of 10 it's either one file or setting that's caused the problem Rolling Eyes
erlendhg
Well... thanks Very Happy

Now I know what this Direct Admin thing is!

Thanks for the links, n0obie4life Very Happy