FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How can I get my laptop to detect my external Harddrive ?

Collier951
Everytime I boot up and connect my Hard Drive I have to got to My computer and Manage + Disk Management to add a drive letter and then open/access my external drive. Can this be fixed to ensure that the laptop detects it when it is connected. (2) when I do access the external drive it will not accept file names longer than 6 characters so it changes the original file names. Can this be corrected?
cybersa
May be drivers problem.
Uninstall your previous drivers and install it again.
To uninstall see Device Manger on Control panel.
siemens13
im guessing that your hard drive is using an old file system, reformat your hard drive using the NTFS file system and your problem should be solved if it doesn't work then try this software http://longpathtool.com/
JohnRenee
Uninstall all the drivers and then install. It will work then. Sometimes these kind of situations occurs.

viager
p3t6
Collier951 wrote:
Everytime I boot up and connect my Hard Drive I have to got to My computer and Manage + Disk Management to add a drive letter and then open/access my external drive. Can this be fixed to ensure that the laptop detects it when it is connected. (2) when I do access the external drive it will not accept file names longer than 6 characters so it changes the original file names. Can this be corrected?

The problem is that the harddrive has got the same driveletter as your external device. Change the letter of the coliding harddrive and the problem is solved.