FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Greek Alternative Internet

Possum
Hi

Bill Still http://www.redicecreations.com/radio/2013/08/RIR-130826.php mentions that Greek youth have started an alternative internet by connecting wi-fo ti wi-fi and on and on..

Is this possible?
How is this done..?

Seems like a lot of fun to try out..

Cheers Possum..
badai
well if you and your friend (singular, just one other person) has lots of content and you don't need to communicate with others, then by all mean, connect your PC together and have your own "Internet" and live happily ever after.
Possum
But can this go from wireless router to wireless router... And on an on.... Even to people you don't know...
badai
yes. try lookup router in wiki.

but i guess they all in the same subnet, so the router act more like a bridge. it's like a big wireless LAN
deanhills
Possum wrote:
But can this go from wireless router to wireless router... And on an on.... Even to people you don't know...
A friend of mine mentioned this morning she was calling her family every morning for free WIFI to WIFI - long distance from Dubai in UAE to Toronto in Canada. Apparently one does it with smart phones. She mentioned using viber.
http://www.appsapk.com/viber-free-calls-messages/

I'd imagine if they could do it for phoning they would be able to create an alternative internet as well.
Possum
Quote:
http://www.appsapk.com/viber-free-calls-messages/

Very interesting

thx
Insanity
Yes, I'm also not quite sure how this is just an intranet rather than an internet. It's between two networked devices, but can't connect to the global wider internet, which is what most people need. The intranet I believe only allows transfers between whatever computers are connected.
badai
Insanity wrote:
Yes, I'm also not quite sure how this is just an intranet rather than an internet. It's between two networked devices, but can't connect to the global wider internet, which is what most people need. The intranet I believe only allows transfers between whatever computers are connected.

Finally, someone see the light.
SonLight
I didn't follow the link, but I expect this may be a mesh network. The idea is to use the wifi on a peer-to-peer basis, essentially creating an intranet. But presumably some points in the network have internet access, and can make it available as a resource for everyone on the local mesh network.

I tried out an app that now does that for general use by non-technical people, but uninstalled it because it was using up the battery too quickly.
SonLight
I just re-installed Firechat. ( https://opengarden.com/ ) I intend to try it again, leaving wifi and bluetooth off unless using it as part of a mesh network. Previously, it used the radios even when they were turned off, and even when the app wasn't running. The app did ask me if the radios should be used, right after the install, and I said yes. There is no option to reverse this as far as I can see, but if I manually set them to off I hope the app will respect that and leave them off.

I listened to a nice Oscar Peterson Trio song recommended on the chat site. When there is no local mesh network, the app becomes simply another chat network. I hope it will be convenient to use in a park or shopping center with just one other participant. For that, use the #nearby channel. Although it should work to use another channel, which either mesh or remote devices can share.

I just observed that bluetooth was turned on by Firechat. It seems likely that if I manually turn off both bluetooth and wifi, I can use the app manager to exit Firechat. I will see if doing that prevents excessive battery usage.