FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Memory How good is yours?

chasbeen
I was travelling home once and I suddenly did not remember where the **** I was. That was worrying and it happened a few years ago. It's not something that happens to me every day.

Also I got a good memory for numbers but cannot remember more than 3 names from all the Premiership football teams (UK league)?

I therefore have problems with memory. How good is yours.
Vanilla
I remember reading somewhere that the brain starts do "die" at age 27. I'm 28 and I'm not trying to think too hard about it... I was discussing memory with a friend and we were talking about how easy it was to know by heart lots of telephone numbers, addresses and info like that. Our conclusion: our bad memory was caused by cellphones. Now we don't need to remember those things anymore because our phones do the job. Besides that, I think my memory is ok.

When I have important things to do I tend to remember everything, but it doesn't hurt to use my cell to help me remember too. Razz
Deline
I dont know how good my memory is, but there are things that I forget very fast, like something that happened yesterday..I have to think and think to remember it. But I guess it happens when I dont pay much attention on what people say.

Also, when I'm in a conversation, I'm almost sure that I wont remember part of the subject or even what exactly I said - and this always makes me lose the discussions with my boyfriend. -.-

If its true that the memory dies after 27 years, I'm may be killing mine before get to 25 years! Razz
standready
I don't remember how good my memory is? laugh
nickfyoung
They reckon that your memory deteriorates as you get into old age. I think I can attest to that as stuff does just seem to disappear from your memory banks. Basic stuff like names and places etc. which can be very annoying. Our mind also has a safety mechanism built in that seems to delete bad or painful memories especially if you were very young at the time. So soldering on into old age I can look forward to forgetting stuff. I just hope it is not too important stuff.
zimmer
chasbeen wrote:
I was travelling home once and I suddenly did not remember where the **** I was. That was worrying and it happened a few years ago. It's not something that happens to me every day.

Also I got a good memory for numbers but cannot remember more than 3 names from all the Premiership football teams (UK league)?

I therefore have problems with memory. How good is yours.

My memory? so far so good. Very Happy
grofet
My memory is quite bad in some aspects. I forget a lot of things in the past. It is very hard for me to remember a lot of theory and formula in the school and college. But my memory is good in music, so i don't need any music player to enjoy music. Music already installed in my brain with some talent to manipulate the music right in my brain.
codegeek
I have a debilitating memory problem. I can't remember roads. Nada. Zip. I could walk the same road like 10 times, and yet the next time I have to get to the same location, I'd have to ask around.

Especially around areas with lots of small alleys and shortcuts, I am completely and utterly without a clue. I do remember some landmarks though, which I use to navigate. Other people have told me that they can visualize the entire journey in their heads. I can't do that for some reason, unless it's a road that I've travelled more than 100 times. This is strange because I can play fairly decent blind chess (without looking at the board).

I also can't seem to remember what colour clothes someone was wearing even if I am asked as soon as they are out of sight. I have been trying to develop these abilities slowly with practice. Smile
deanhills
Worries me too. Particularly when I decide to collect or do something in a different room, get to the room, and completely forgot why I'm there. Or go to my boss, to discuss something important, and get there and forgotten what it was.

I've figured out how to solve it though detective wise. Sort of the worst thing one could do is get tense or stressed that one has "forgotten". As one hasn't really forgotten. It's somewhere in the mind, and one only needs to recall it. I find if I relax completely, take a deep breath, and then think what I've been doing before, by not focusing too much on anything specifically, it just pops back.

Another thing I do is to write it down, i.e. when I see my boss to discuss some important stuff, I make a list of those. Just crazy, as I don't really need to check back to the list, as the list actually makes me remember better than without having it. The list is also great for recalling other important things.
Bluedoll
Memory problems are not located in the brain. They are located in the posterior region that is the backside because every time you go into a room and can not remember why you entered it - when you sit down instantly you remember, “oh right!” then need to get up again.

I am not good with numbers or names but can remember faces and what that person said to me four years ago. Like what’s with that?
pravojednostavno
Vanilla wrote:
our bad memory was caused by cellphones.

Wink You are right. But there is a solution: to train memory

I'm 28. I was relatively close to Chornobyl when the exposure happened. All school years we were told that we are victims, we have a lot of diseases and also bad memory. Well, that's not true. As for me, I'm very healthy and my memory is better than many people around me (I moved to another country). Four years ago i fall in love with sudoku and noticed, that this game helped me to improve my organisation, like building consequence of tasks in order to save my time. Last month i started to play that simple memory game and i discovered that my short memory has improved. I work at the reception desk and it is very useful just to remember a telephone number instead of writing it in a hurry. Also, during last month i finally learned all phone numbers of my colleagues. Of course i tend to forget something, but it happens less frequently to me than last year.
Vanilla
pravojednostavno wrote:
Vanilla wrote:
our bad memory was caused by cellphones.

Wink You are right. But there is a solution: to train memory

I'm 28. I was relatively close to Chornobyl when the exposure happened. All school years we were told that we are victims, we have a lot of diseases and also bad memory. Well, that's not true. As for me, I'm very healthy and my memory is better than many people around me (I moved to another country). Four years ago i fall in love with sudoku and noticed, that this game helped me to improve my organisation, like building consequence of tasks in order to save my time. Last month i started to play that simple memory game and i discovered that my short memory has improved. I work at the reception desk and it is very useful just to remember a telephone number instead of writing it in a hurry. Also, during last month i finally learned all phone numbers of my colleagues. Of course i tend to forget something, but it happens less frequently to me than last year.

Could it be that the radiation caused you to mutate? So now you're an X-men? JK, JK! Sorry! Laughing

I was reading about how exercising could improve both your short term and your long therm memory and how exercise is the best way to avoid senility associated dementia. I try to exercise regularly (and I started to frequent a gym again last week) and to train my brain with simple tasks like reading in another language (usually English or Spanish, my mother tongue is Portuguese). Being an English teacher I'm kind of obligated to do that, so I'm accustomed to it. Sudoku is awesome! I used to do at least one every day using a phone app.
jajarvin
If I have spent many sleepless nights in a row so I can see that my memory does not work in the normal way.
It may be that I do not remember some instances of yesterday's events.
playfungames
My memory sucks. I find it hard to remember names and even words sometimes. I meet someone and I am introduced to them. They remember my name (it is easy) and their's I forget after some time. I remember the face though.

Also with names of movies and places, I forget them quickly. But I am able to google them with hints and then I find out the names of those movies and places.
deanhills
playfungames wrote:
Also with names of movies and places, I forget them quickly. But I am able to google them with hints and then I find out the names of those movies and places.
I do the same. With most things. Almost like a detective game, I Google on related names and finally get to the name that I could not recall.
Radar
Depends what it is.

There are some things that I will remember very well, some things that I forget quite deliberately. I think most of the time, how good your memory is might be an indicator as to how much you care about the thing in question.
Teio
hmm I remember reading the question on the first page, but as I proceeded through page, I can't seem to remember what the question was... Question Question Question
airh3ad
consult your doctor, and take healthy foods Don't think so much
rmines
Don't think!
That will get you to the old timer's memory real fast.
Jigsaw puzzles and the like help you a lot especially if you start them young and keep it up.
They say juggling (no not too many things like work and homelife) really improves the brain.
Me, I can still look at my car keys and know what they are for.
Guess I am still doing okay, today anyway.
sonam
Here is lot of answers on your question but I would like....

Sorry, what is you question? Shocked

Sonam

Laughing
william
Honestly, I don't have too much of a problem with memory. What I do have a problem with is maintaining attention and actually allowing information to enter my memory. I'm not sure what it is with me, but my mind wanders off a lot. I remember those thoughts in clouds very well, but not necessarily what someone else was telling me at the time.

Now, why am I here again?
vpnvpnvpn
How can we know how good our memory is Smile
DanielMartin1
I never the face i met in my life. but when it comes on phone number my memory don't allow me to remember more than 2 or 3 numbers Wink
Utopia GFR
I believe it might be an age issue even though I am quite good at remembering things I did more than 20-25 years ago (I'm turning 40 soon).

Still having enough sleep, a good health and keeping your brain active (for instance I play videogames) stimulates the cells and therefore is highly recommended Very Happy
ratanegra
My memory sucks in the long term. I can't remember things that happened just 5 years ago. People tell me stories of stuff I did, said, promised, etc... important stuff. But even then I just have an image recreated from their stories and I cannot remember it at all. I started looking into memory techniques, but I'm too lazy to try them, since they require intensive effort.