FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Are dogs fond of air conditioners

raaeft1
It is strange but true.
In the summer months, my dogs have been fond of air conditioners. Prince, the German Shepherd, would come bounding into the bedroom whenever my wife would switch on the AC. He died in 2008 and we got a Labrador puppy Caesar soon thereafter. It was around that time we changed our ACs.
The pup would look longingly at the AC in the bedroom and pant near it as if he was feeling very hot. My wife would switch on the AC and this has become a regular pattern.
Now, he just goes near the AC and starts barking if it is off. Once it is on, he sits in front of it and rolls his head in glee. Or he just lies down in front of it.
Some doctors say that how can a dog be mad about AC. But we do not agree. The dogs are intelligent beings and have instincts similar to humans.
Nyasro
I dont think so! Laughing
deanhills
raaeft1 wrote:
It is strange but true.
In the summer months, my dogs have been fond of air conditioners. Prince, the German Shepherd, would come bounding into the bedroom whenever my wife would switch on the AC. He died in 2008 and we got a Labrador puppy Caesar soon thereafter. It was around that time we changed our ACs.
The pup would look longingly at the AC in the bedroom and pant near it as if he was feeling very hot. My wife would switch on the AC and this has become a regular pattern.
Now, he just goes near the AC and starts barking if it is off. Once it is on, he sits in front of it and rolls his head in glee. Or he just lies down in front of it.
Some doctors say that how can a dog be mad about AC. But we do not agree. The dogs are intelligent beings and have instincts similar to humans.
I doubt his interest has to do with cooling. As dogs as far as I know have a different way of cooling themselves. Could be a conditioned response that goes with plenty of love and affection.
biolu
Dogs can bear better heat than humans, but still their heat dissipation systems have their limits (they put out their tongue when they need more dissipation).
From that, it's not illogical that they like AC when the weather is too hot!
standready
You like to be cool, right? So does the dog. Their cooling methods since they can't remove their coats are their paws, ears and panting.
Peterssidan
If it's too hot go to a cooler place. I think this is probably the most efficient method of lowering the body temperature there is and I would be surprised if most animals didn't use it. Panting and sweating helps but you waste a lot of water that way.
75alex
Your dog doesn't especially likes AC, he just understands that it makes the room cooler and that you can make it work, and since it's an animal, he can just feel too hot, like you.
BigGeek
My definitive answer on this is that dogs like AC, yup, they sure do. My present dog will stand between the seats of the car on the center console to get the cool air blowing in her face from the car AC. She will also lie in front of the swap cooler under the cool blast of air to get cool on hot summer days.

My last dog was an 8 lb. poodle and when his hair was long in the summer he would like right on top of the AC vent in my old house that had central AC and get cool from the cold air blowing out of the vent. So with that kind of experience I would say dogs love AC.
LxGoodies
Is it really surprising, dogs love AC' ? Most dogs are confined to a house - cannot go out when they want to - and like to be cooled. A dog can cool itself by drinking.. and breath (tongue) so it 's always good to provide your dog with more water when the wheater is really hot. Go out more. This all seems very obvious.. it is.

raaeft1 wrote:
]It is strange but true.

Dogs love ritual and regular habits. Maybe it is just gameplay...

When he does it often, the puppy may have no reason at all. It just has fun seeing you switch on the AC, even when it is not needed Razz

Quote:

Starts barking ?? Are there more occasions, your puppy starts barking when it wants something ? Be careful, your dog has apparently found a way to condition you !

I think it is better you give your puppy negative feedback, when it barks in the house. Use an unfriendly word, or remove it from the room. That is, you'll have to learn your dog to obey you.. and not to bark when it wants something. Pets need a proper uprising, especially dogs.

Quote:

Owww certainly, your puppy is intelligent.. Wink
Bluedoll
I think the dog is not stupid just being a dog with a dog's life. Doesn't sound to me that dog has such a bad one.
mshafiq
I think when it is hot they like some thing cold.but i really don't think they like air condition.