FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

iTunes on a Google Chromebook

Tony The Tiger
Today on twitter someone forwarded a link for a movie trailer. The link led me to an iTunes movie trailer service. In order to play it there was some software that I needed to download. However, it seems that the software was only available for Mac and PC. I could not find a page that would produce a download link on my Google Chromebook, which probably runs on some sort of Android operating system platform.
SonLight
Unfortunately, itunes does not provide a version for Linux nor, presumably, any Unix-based OS. So it's not just a problem with certain notebook computers. I tried to install the Windows version of itunes with Wine. It appeared to install, but complained that an essential component was missing. It appeared the missing component was used only for copying files from a CD, and I'm quite sure it wouldn't install correctly because of DRM issues. Of course itunes could work without it and be useful for many things, and any non-DRM-protected CD could easily have their files copied by other software. But no, they will not allow use of any of their functionality unless it is entirely contained within their safe little box.
Tony The Tiger
SonLight wrote:
Unfortunately, itunes does not provide a version for Linux nor, presumably, any Unix-based OS. So it's not just a problem with certain notebook computers. I tried to install the Windows version of itunes with Wine. It appeared to install, but complained that an essential component was missing. It appeared the missing component was used only for copying files from a CD, and I'm quite sure it wouldn't install correctly because of DRM issues. Of course itunes could work without it and be useful for many things, and any non-DRM-protected CD could easily have their files copied by other software. But no, they will not allow use of any of their functionality unless it is entirely contained within their safe little box.

Yes. I think the operating system that my Chromebook runs on is the Linux based Android Operating System. I just didn't know I could not get iTunes on it. That does not make much sense to me.
chartcentral
If iTunes is out of question to not be compatible on your Google Chromebook, alternately, you may just have to find a version of that movie trailer, from another site or service, which is playable on Chrome OS. Smile
Tony The Tiger
chartcentral wrote:
If iTunes is out of question to not be compatible on your Google Chromebook, alternately, you may just have to find a version of that movie trailer, from another site or service, which is playable on Chrome OS. Smile

I am usually on a Hewlett Packard Laptop. I have Windows 8 machine and a Windows 7 machine. I wont be too worried about getting iTunes on my Chromebook too often and I already have found another version of the trailer on YouTube that I could view on my Chromebook.