FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Screenshot software for Windows

Gregoric
I have recently been trying out some applications that could serve as screenshot making tool. There was one by Ashampoo that was on a free discount, it came out to be resource-greedy, interface was faaar too complicated when it comes to apps that should only create screenshots, so I uninstalled it right away.

Then, I've used some portable app - which name I do not remember - but it was buggy so I decided to find something more popular with more feedback and staff behind it. I used http://imgur.com/ that allowed to paste images that are in the memory (so I could easily Ctrl-V screenshots right onto the web).

Then came Lightshot, which I am using at the moment but it is also a bit buggy so I would like to ask you for an alternative. What software do you use? Preferrably, I'd like the application to send the screenshot to the web right away after taking it with PrintScreen.

Thanks for any suggestions, regards
Marcuzzo
I use GreenShot.
it's Open Source and easy to use
codegeek
I use Windows 8. There is a very convenient shortcut combination Win+PrintScreen which immediately takes the screenshot and saves it in the Screenshots folder in the Pictures library. It has worked well for me so far.
Marcuzzo
codegeek wrote:
I use Windows 8. There is a very convenient shortcut combination Win+PrintScreen which immediately takes the screenshot and saves it in the Screenshots folder in the Pictures library. It has worked well for me so far.

Greenshot is more then just that. windows has always (at least since XP) shipped with a screen capture function but would save the desktop or active window (ALT+PRTSCRN) as a bitmap in the context menu.

greenshot basically allows you to choose what you want to do with the image. eg: export to a specific application, save the image "as..." and even has an editor that you can use to add arrows, highlighting and the like
Gregoric
codegeek wrote:
I use Windows 8.

Well, unfortunately I prefer Windows 7 so I cannot even judge whether your suggestion went out to be useful, thanks though. It's surprising to me to hear that Microsoft added something that I would like Smile

Marcuzzo wrote:
I use GreenShot.
it's Open Source and easy to use

Well, it seems that I do have a winner Smile This app has everything I'd like sych a program to have: it is customizable, has various useful options (that can easily accessible as well). It can submit the images to the Internet (that was my 'most-wanted' feature).

Thanks, Marcuzzo, really! Gotta go 'n make some screenshots (Very Happy).

My regards
bogisha
I use Lightshot (http://app.prntscr.com), it is free, simple and have everything i need like taking screenshot of selected area, auto uploading, quick online editor... There are also browser plugin for firefox and chrome that let you do a screenshot of whole web page with one click...
Nick2008
I second Marcuzzo's suggestion of using Greenshot. I've also had a very good experience using Screenshot Captor.
codegeek
Marcuzzo wrote:
codegeek wrote:

Greenshot is more then just that. windows has always (at least since XP) shipped with a screen capture function but would save the desktop or active window (ALT+PRTSCRN) as a bitmap in the context menu.

greenshot basically allows you to choose what you want to do with the image. eg: export to a specific application, save the image "as..." and even has an editor that you can use to add arrows, highlighting and the like

Thanks. It sounds pretty good. I'm going to give it a try. Very Happy By the way, do you keep it in your startup, or do you run it when you need it?
cybersa
I tried Greenshot,It looks good.
Thanks for the suggestion.
andro_king
I use print screen button and paste the image in the paint and save it with available extension Smile any way I ll try Greenshots too !!
Blummer
Just tried Greenshost - what a nice tool. Way better than default Windows screengrabbing tool. Many nice functions. It is lightweight and very useful.
Gregoric
Quote:
By the way, do you keep it in your startup, or do you run it when you need it?

I personally launch it on startup of the system, I did not notice a big difference in bootup speed. Ashampoo screenshooting tool took far more resources and really slowed down the startup process of Windows. Greenshoot seems not to.

Now, after using it for a while, I can say it is perfect! After finding out how to configure imgur plugin, I can upload screenshots directly to my imgur profile. And overall, the application is great!

A basic bit of information fo r those who hesitate whether to use Greenshot or not: when you press the PrntScrn button, the programs takes a screenshot and pops up a menu allowing you to choose whether you want the picture to be saved on your local disk using default settings, open a file saving dialog or do something else (there are several other options that you can just turn off). I usually send my file to imgur. When you send a file to the web, you automatically get link to it copied to the clipboard! That is amazing Smile

Thanks, Marcuzzo yet another time Smile
codegeek
So, I downloaded and started using Greenshot. I must say I've fallen in love with it. Especially because it allows me to snip any part of my screen easily. Windows does contain a snipping tool, and it's fine too, but I like Greenshot's tool much better. Plus, I can access it very easily by pressing PrintScreen. Thank you for introducing me to this program.
manfer
I have never tested that GPL image capture software Greenshot though its features sounds good.

Anyway I'm going to introduce other applications.

First the options that comes already with Windows without needing to install other software.

* Option 1. The Print Screen button default actions. If you just click Print Screen a screenshot of the whole screen is saved to the clickboard. If you just click Alt + Print Screen, a screenshot of the active window is saved to the clipboard.

* Option 2. From Windows Vista and above Windows comes with a tool called Snipping Tool that allow you to take screenshots of the whole screen, a window or just a custom part of the screen -both a rectangular area or a freeform area-

If that isn't enough for us then we have to start thinking on intalling a third party application and in my opinion the king on capture software is TechSmith with their Camtasia app to do video capture of your screen and SnagIt for just image capture of the screen. Those are payed applications.

But TechSmith has a free screenshot application called Jing, which is in my opinion really good and that you can easily configure to use the print screen key as hotkey. It allows to do some edition to the screenshot, mostly highlight some parts of the screenshot, and it allows you to save the result on your disk or send it with just one click to the cloud, to your own account on screencast.com that is configured during the installation of the application just by choosing a username, a password and filling your email, if you don't have already an account there. If you choose to upload the scrreenshot it is just a one button click function and a link to the image is automatically saved on the clipboard so you can share the link anywhere you want, a chat, a forum, ... Just after installation finishs it starts the application with a fantastic interactive tutorial on how to use it. It allows video capture of the screen too. And you can learn too how to use embed code for the captures you upload to the cloud. It can be customized to include 1click buttons to share with facebook, twitter, youtube, ...