FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How do you speed up ur dial-up connection?

RavenCross
well i need some tips guys, i think is gonna be awhile before i have a cable connection, but my dial-up connection is not that good.. any tips on how to optimize it?
progman89
There are a couple things you can do. I would download Google Web Accelerator first. http://webaccelerator.google.com/
Second, there's a plugin in the old X-Setup freeware that REALLY speeds up dialup - I used it and doubled my dialup speed. You have to download the latest freeware version of the program from http://linux4.wekanet-team.de/download/390/xqdcxsp-setup-en.exe
Install the program, run it, click on "Classic," and on the plugins list go to Hardware>Modem>Modem Speed. Check the box and exit X-Setup. Now you can go to your modem properties and enable speeds of up to 921600bps instead of the normal max of 115200bps. Trust me, this tweak works AWESOME for dialup, it's worth the trouble of downloading and installing the program.
bananaphone
if you use firefox then install the extention "fasterfox"
I sped up my cable connection and it REALLY speeds up dial up connections!!!
mirzapirza
You don't.. I had dial up forever and spent a lot of time trying out various ways to optimize it.. just forget about it. The best thing you can do is peek into your browser's settings and disable images and plugins.
Sunny
Quote:
There are a couple things you can do. I would download Google Web Accelerator first. http://webaccelerator.google.com/

Google web accelerator can hardly do any wonders for dial up connection.Even google doesnt recommend it for dial up users.

I think all you can do is :

1) Set the site you visit most as homapage

2) Go to internet options>>settings> check the never button for the stored pages. That would mean that when you open a page, your pc will try to open it from your temp files rather then looking on the net straight away.

3)In internet options go to advanced tab, uncheck play animations in web pages.
chiragcoolboy
Razz Be happy guys. Chirag is here. Want to speed ur internet connection. Download this software Artera Turbo. It rocks man. There r different versions for bband and dial-up. I will increase ur download speed by 3-4 Kbps and web-surfing speed also. If it doesn't work than change Bonding's name Laughing . Joking. If it doesn't work change my name.I bet it will work.
gonzo
have you heard of bonding? No, not bondingS.
otiscom
Forget it!

You will never REALY speed it up. All the talk about download managers etc is crap!

The only way is to pay for broadband, and even that depends on internet trafic, your bandwidth etc.

FiZiX
Back in my day's of dialup I would our second phoneline at night to double my download speeds. This process is called shotgunning or bonding. You can read about it here:

http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:uKLJK2-oRdkJ:www.56k.com/reports/bonding.shtml+bonding+dial-up&hl=en

Sorry, the original site is down but the Google cache still works.
pjv
Just what the other good guys suggested, you can try using applications that promises to boost up your internet connection but I don't think it would add much to the speed. A broadband connection is still the best option.
Rhysige
otiscom wrote:
Forget it!

You will never REALY speed it up. All the talk about download managers etc is crap!

The only way is to pay for broadband, and even that depends on internet trafic, your bandwidth etc.

You talk complete and utter bull shit, im on dialup and download managers speed my downloads up 10 fold.
Speeding up general access ive had no success but dont need to give up im sure theres a way.
gonzo
FiZiX wrote:
Back in my day's of dialup I would our second phoneline at night to double my download speeds. This process is called shotgunning or bonding. You can read about it here:

http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:uKLJK2-oRdkJ:www.56k.com/reports/bonding.shtml+bonding+dial-up&hl=en

Sorry, the original site is down but the Google cache still works.

Wow that a good idea. Why didn't I mention that before.

ohhhh

wait, I did. (scroll up)

Shotgun is a trademark of Diamond. As such its only available on ISA Diamond modem cards... but you knew that didn't you?
toshlad
Well I have a similar problem as I live in rural Ireland. The fastest connection available to me is currently ISDN. I know I have the advantage of bonding both lines to give me a blistering 128k but even that is slow these days.

I decided to research this problem and came up with a subscription download accelerator.

It's called ONSPEED.

The web address is www.onspeed.com and it gives you a current speed test so you can see really how slow your connection is.

I know it costs around 25 per year but it really does help. If you receive a lot of text only emails, it pulls these down faster by compressing the text and shrinking what it is you're actually downloading. The installed app the decompresses it all in the flash of an eye and without you even noticing.

I hope this helps.
drpiga
Yes,the only way to relatively speeding up your connection on dial-up,isdn etc is compressing files that you are downloading.This could be done by ISP sides or some independent software company as onspeed is...
I don't use it because I don't want to surf without graphic,rich animations,multimedia contents,but actually this is how things works ...
kennyq3a
You upgrade to 56K or cable.
dandollinger
Look up the program "Morpheus Internet Accelerator" and download it. It is freeware. It optimizes your modem settings so it downloads at faster rates. You should notices a small difference, especially your downloading rates. It has no spyware and does not run in the background. Once you run it, it optimizes and the settigns stay when you restart the compouter.
mOrpheuS
dandollinger wrote:
Look up the program "Morpheus Internet Accelerator" and download it. It is freeware. It optimizes your modem settings so it downloads at faster rates. You should notices a small difference, especially your downloading rates. It has no spyware and does not run in the background. Once you run it, it optimizes and the settigns stay when you restart the compouter.

Just out of curiosity I had once downloaded one such program.
It claimed that it would optimize my modem and internet settings for faster browsing and downloads.
I did a full system snapshot (system files + registry) after installing the program.
Then I ran the program and let it do its stuff.
I was assured that my settings "were successfully optimized" and my dial-up connection would now be "upto 30% faster".
I did a snapshot again and found NO change since before running the program whatsoever.

Dialup will be slow, no matter what you do.
You can only -
1. Ensure that the telephone line is noise free.
2. Ensure that you use an ISP whose network doesn't get clogged.
3. employ browser caching
4. use some paid proxy service which will compress the pages sent to you (lossy compression for images, gzip for text etc.) like onspeed etc.

Not to forget Bonding. Wink