FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Where is Egypt heading??

biolu
Hello everyone, I guess you all have seen what happened in Egypt for a couple of weeks now.
Since the "coup" (depending on which side you are on) which destituted former president Morsi, the temporary governement led by the militaries, there are serious civil trouble in the country, with houndred of casualities.
Yesterday, the military backed governement has forbidden the manifestations of Morsi's supporter.

Here is the article:

Quote:
Egypt’s military-backed government instructed its security forces on Wednesday to end two sit-ins by tens of thousands of supporters of the deposed Islamist president, a decree that many feared could lead to a new round of violent confrontations.

In a televised statement, the cabinet said the sit-ins were disruptive and represented “a threat to the Egyptian national security and an unacceptable terrorizing of citizens.”

For weeks, supporters of the former president, Mohamed Morsi, have been occupying two squares in Cairo — Rabaa al-Adaweya in Nasr City and Nahdet Misr in Giza — to protest his ouster on July 3. They have vowed to remain until Mr. Morsi is released from detention and reinstated.

The sit-ins have become a nuisance for the government, and flash points for the bloodiest confrontations since Mr. Morsi’s ouster, including the killings of more than 140 of his Islamist supporters by Egyptian security services. And as they grow more permanent, with stores and barbers and even their own television station, the encampments have become potent symbols of Egypt’s impasse.

A spokesman for the Muslim Brotherhood, the Islamist movement that brought Mr. Morsi to power, said some in the square hoped the government order was an empty threat, given that clearing the camp would be perilous, violent work.

There was no sign late on Wednesday of any incursion by the security services, though there were indications that one might not be far off. The Brotherhood spokesman, Gehad el-Haddad, said that residents near the Nasr City sit-in had been told to remove their cars, and that police vehicles had started to gather on the outskirts of the sit-in.

Rights groups denounced the interim cabinet’s decree as a new provocation to violence. “Given the Egyptian security forces’ record of policing demonstrations with the routine use of excessive and unwarranted lethal force, this latest announcement gives a seal of approval to further abuse,” Amnesty International said in a statement on its Web site, calling the decree a “recipe for further bloodshed.”

The authorities have painted the squares as hotbeds of “terrorism,” a term they use loosely to describe their opponents. Officials have also said that the Islamists are storing weapons, and have accused them of other abuses, including the fatal torture of at least 11 people in the two squares.

The interim cabinet’s televised statement, read by the country’s minister of media, Dorreya Sharaf el-Din, appeared intended to establish a legal basis for dispersing the sit-ins by force. The minister said the decree was necessary because of “the huge mandate given to the state by the people in dealing with the terrorism and the violence that threaten the dissolution of the state and the collapse of the homeland, and in order to protect the national security and higher interest of the country, and the social peace and the safety of citizens.”

She said the Interior Ministry had been instructed “to take all the necessary measures in that regard within the framework of the provisions of the Constitution and the law.”

It was unclear from her statement when, or how, the Interior Ministry would carry out the order. Interior Minister Mohamed Ibrahim said officials were still consulting over how to proceed.

The Obama administration, which has been engaged in a delicate balancing act over how to deal with the Egypt crisis, expressed concern. Asked about the new decree at a daily State Department briefing in Washington, the deputy spokeswoman, Marie Harf, said: “We have continued to urge the interim government officials and security forces to respect the right of peaceful assembly. That obviously includes sit-ins.”

On Tuesday, two Republican senators, Lindsey Graham of South Carolina and John McCain of Arizona, frequent critics of President Obama, said he had asked them to visit Egypt next week to help persuade the interim leaders to move forward with new elections and an inclusive government. The senators said they would convey a bipartisan message from the United States, which has regarded Egypt as a crucial ally in the region for decades and provides $1.5 billion in annual aid.

The decree aimed at ending the sit-ins came shortly after the interim authorities announced they had referred Brotherhood leaders to a criminal court on charges of incitement to violence. They included the movement’s spiritual leader, Mohamed Badie, and Khairat el-Shater, its onetime candidate for president. That was seen as a further expansion of the crackdown on the Brotherhood that has included arrests, closing of television stations and an effort to purge state institutions of the movement’s members.

The military has detained Mr. Morsi and kept his whereabouts secret. He has not been allowed to communicate with his family or a lawyer. This week the European Union’s top foreign policy official, Catherine Ashton, was able to visit him, and said he was in good health. On Wednesday, a delegation from the African Union said it had also visited Mr. Morsi, according to Ahram Online, an English-language news site.

During the visit Tuesday night, Mr. Morsi told the delegation that he was powerless to end the crisis, the former president of Botswana, Festus G. Mogae, told the news site.

“Morsi told us that he cannot do anything in the current situation, as he does not have contact with the media or his followers,” Mr. Mogae said.

Kareem Fahim reported from Cairo, and Rick Gladstone from New York. Mayy El Sheikh contributed reporting from Cairo.

Source: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/01/world/middleeast/egypt.html?_r=0

Quotes added by Vanilla
Add quotes and cite the source of the material when copy-pasting.
lemonedia
Egypt is being used to start a religious war, something that is archaic and primitive in terms of getting shit done. Thankfully, many people over there are seeing this, and realize that we're all people of the same earth, and to divide each other based upon who has the better imaginary friend is simply retarded. I have high hopes for the outcome in the East, especially since the Military joined w/ the people to remove the tyrannical president from power.
deanhills
I couldn't believe what I was reading today with Yahoo news breaking about the 95 people who were killed in Cairo and the announcement of a State of Emergency. I knew it was bad, but that has just gone about 100% worse than bad.
http://en-maktoob.news.yahoo.com/egyptian-police-kill-least-30-protest-crackdown-brotherhood-085257703.html?vp=1
jajarvin
Unfortunately, Egypt is heading towards chaos.
zimmer
I guess Arab world is now getting open and have ideas on how control there governments with the inspiration with freedom countries such as United states.
deanhills
zimmer wrote:
I guess Arab world is now getting open and have ideas on how control there governments with the inspiration with freedom countries such as United states.
Just have a feeling that the citizens of Egypt are not ready for democracy yet.
jmraker
It's a blood bath over there
http://www.news.com.au/world-news/egypt-bloodbath-leaves-278-dead/story-fndir2ev-1226697234967
http://www.ctvnews.ca/world/death-toll-rises-to-525-after-violence-in-egypt-1.1411786
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2392992/Egypt-protests-Horrifying-moment-Egyptian-protestors-push-armoured-police-van-50ft-Cairo-bridge-officers-stoned-mob.html

The churches are under attack by the muslim brotherhood
http://www.foxnews.com/world/2013/08/14/morsi-supporters-torch-three-churches-in-egypt/

Just keep telling yourself that Muslim/Islam is the religion of peace*

*once one side gets rid of the every infidel on the other sides and there's no other side left alive

---- Edit ----
Warning: Do not click on the evil hatemonger brainwashing web page of FOX News. I may have become infected by their lies. There were no attacks on any churches, the Coptic Christians must have simply burnt down and attacked their own churches and blamed the peace loving unarmed brotherhood.
Quote:
Mourad Ali, a spokesman for Mr Morsi's Muslim Brotherhood group, said his organisation had nothing to do with the attacks. He accused saboteurs working for the security services of carrying them out to incriminate the Islamists and justify repression against them.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/76c03b6a-0683-11e3-9bd9-00144feab7de.html#axzz2cBedOhUa
deanhills
You're right jmraker. It looks like a civil war. Really REALLY sad. Can't help but think that the ending is going to be less than a democratic system. The security forces may take over?
handfleisch
jmraker wrote:
It's

Stop with the right wing hate-spin. It's bad enough without your FOX-brainwashed BS spread all over it. All sides are killing everyone. It's an equal opportunity bloodbath, but the latest massacre was done against the Muslim Brotherhood/Morsi supporters, so shut up
deanhills
handfleisch wrote:
It's an equal opportunity bloodbath, but the latest massacre was done against the Muslim Brotherhood/Morsi supporters, so shut up
That is true. Just learned this morning directly from a source, i.e. someone who was on leave in Cairo and returned to work today, that there is a LARGE element of hooliganism and mob rule responsible for the carnage. I.e. people with machetes out on the loose that are killing at random - they even killed an American who was trying to hide in a mosque. So the security forces have to deal with them too. It's CHAOS and I doubt any of us can really picture the mayhem. We have this organized picture in our mind of Security Forces versus Brotherhood whereas it's something to the equivalent of a complete civil unrest and citizens in the street out of control. As you said, an equal opportunity bloodbath.

Does look as though it is confined to Cairo for now. According to this guy who returned to work today.
DaLoca
I have a friend in Egypt working for the AP over there (for free I might add since AP doesn't really pay anymore) and he told me tongue in cheek that a lot of the hooliganism is coming from American sponsored mobs. Granted, I have a tendency to believe it seeing as how the US railroaded Gaddafi and then caused Libya to fall into ruins by "Al Qaieda", which Gaddafi from his own mouth said was a alphabet US agency brainchild. Go fig. But the violence is high and he may have to flee to Tunisia. I hope the Pyramids can withstand all this mess.
grofet
Egypt will become peace if the bad military end the coup and respect for the democracy. It's just another conspiracy. Some people play dirty as the brain, and the military as the puppet. They have very good brain, but have very very bad heart. They just do not want islam to rule egypt. I remember when politic / tactic of "Devide Et Empera" ruin my country for hundreds of year.