FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Lemon Computere





Tony The Tiger
I bought a Hewlett Packard DV7 laptop on May 24. I just sent it back for repair for a third time. The first time they had to reconfigure the motherboard to communicate with my secondary hard drive. The second time they had to replace the motherboard. However, since they forgot to reconfigure it like the first one, it did not communicate with my OEM hard drive that I had moved from the primary drive position to the secondary drive position. Thus, I just had to send it back for a third time.
Tony The Tiger
Tony The Tiger wrote:
I bought a Hewlett Packard DV7 laptop on May 24. I just sent it back for repair for a third time. The first time they had to reconfigure the motherboard to communicate with my secondary hard drive. The second time they had to replace the motherboard. However, since they forgot to reconfigure it like the first one, it did not communicate with my OEM hard drive that I had moved from the primary drive position to the secondary drive position. Thus, I just had to send it back for a third time.

Well... I spoke with a case manager today and he said they were shipping it back today. However, the shipping notification that I received by email said that it will not ship until tomorrow. This will make 24 days without my computer (not counting the three days it took them to get me a prepaid Fedex shipping box when my computer crashed on a Saturday). I just noticed that oddly, my estimated return shipment delivery time is 8:00 PM on Friday. That is odd for Fedex. What is up with that?

Since I purchased my computer on May 24, I have had to send it back three times already. If something goes wrong again in the near future, I think they are going to give me a new computer. Maybe I should hope for that.
Tony The Tiger
Tony The Tiger wrote:
Tony The Tiger wrote:
I bought a Hewlett Packard DV7 laptop on May 24. I just sent it back for repair for a third time. The first time they had to reconfigure the motherboard to communicate with my secondary hard drive. The second time they had to replace the motherboard. However, since they forgot to reconfigure it like the first one, it did not communicate with my OEM hard drive that I had moved from the primary drive position to the secondary drive position. Thus, I just had to send it back for a third time.

Well... I spoke with a case manager today and he said they were shipping it back today. However, the shipping notification that I received by email said that it will not ship until tomorrow. This will make 24 days without my computer (not counting the three days it took them to get me a prepaid Fedex shipping box when my computer crashed on a Saturday). I just noticed that oddly, my estimated return shipment delivery time is 8:00 PM on Friday. That is odd for Fedex. What is up with that?

Since I purchased my computer on May 24, I have had to send it back three times already. If something goes wrong again in the near future, I think they are going to give me a new computer. Maybe I should hope for that.

Well, it is still not working correctly. They have agreed to build me a new computer and upgrade me from 8GB RAM to 16GB, from a 1GB video card to 2GB, from a standard DVD drive to a Blue-ray DVD drive, and from and i5 processor to an i7 processor. I guess I am not too mad that I have had three months of headaches, now that they are hooking me up.
Bluedoll
Tony The Tiger wrote:
They have agreed to build me a new computer and upgrade me..
Seems fair to me from the standpoint of time. Now you will have (after waiting that long) an "upgraded" computer. The time lost if it is personal really lies on yourself and not the company. You had the option to lease. borrow or find a used computer while your computer was being fixed?

But how do you feel about that part, the waiting time, interested in how you feel about that? As far as the deal you got seems alright as you are getting a better computer. How do you feel about how the company treated you? Good thing there is a lemon law.
sysna
Free upgrade is good but what about the new one ? how will it be ? Very Happy I hope that new one at least works for a year before needing to be sent for repair !

I have a asus laptop myself and i have sent it to repair service once after 1 year and 5 months (it comes with two year warranty) and the problem was flat cable of its display. but i have also a 5 years old "Ireland Made" Dell which is still working without any problem and i use it every day ! this is the difference between chinese made ones and others !
Tony The Tiger
Bluedoll wrote:
Tony The Tiger wrote:
They have agreed to build me a new computer and upgrade me..
Seems fair to me from the standpoint of time. Now you will have (after waiting that long) an "upgraded" computer. The time lost if it is personal really lies on yourself and not the company. You had the option to lease. borrow or find a used computer while your computer was being fixed?

But how do you feel about that part, the waiting time, interested in how you feel about that? As far as the deal you got seems alright as you are getting a better computer. How do you feel about how the company treated you? Good thing there is a lemon law.

I have a 2003 Dell Inspiron 8200 that I use for Office and a 2012 Google Chromebook that I use for the internet. I am not in too bad a shape. Now that the defective 2013 HP is back, I use it to get on the internet, for office and for DVDs. I just can not access my secondary drive where all my data is. Oddly my 2010 HP is also out for repair. When I spoke to HP 11 days ago they said that they would get me a new computer in 2 weeks. Yesterday, after 10 days, they said it could be another 7-10 days. But the processor is 17 months newer technology, double the RAM, double the video card size and Blue Ray, sort of make it worth the wait even though I don't now that I will want to watch Blue Ray.
Da Rossa
A computer sent to repair a single time can be acceptable, but three is just a reason for you to take your money back and post a very truthful paragraph about them on Facebook. They'll get better!!
Tony The Tiger
Da Rossa wrote:
A computer sent to repair a single time can be acceptable, but three is just a reason for you to take your money back and post a very truthful paragraph about them on Facebook. They'll get better!!

The new one that they sent me is not working so well either. I am having trouble browsing in Mozilla Firefox, Microsoft Internet Explorer, Google Chrome and Opera. I have installed Safari and Netscape Navigator, but have not tried those yet. I am considering switching brands, but the problem is that Dell computers do not have dual drive capability. I.e., they don't manufacture any computers that have a secondary hard drive bay. All my files are windows based stuff (I have a ton of Microsoft Windows excel and word documents). I don't like having to keep track of what I have updated and such. I just like to keep my data drive right there. I don't like to keep my data on the same disk as the system either. Not sure how I would feel about Apple. At some point I may get an apple too. Right now, I want windows with a dual drive setup. I am really frustrated.
william
Tony The Tiger wrote:
Da Rossa wrote:
A computer sent to repair a single time can be acceptable, but three is just a reason for you to take your money back and post a very truthful paragraph about them on Facebook. They'll get better!!

The new one that they sent me is not working so well either. I am having trouble browsing in Mozilla Firefox, Microsoft Internet Explorer, Google Chrome and Opera. I have installed Safari and Netscape Navigator, but have not tried those yet. I am considering switching brands, but the problem is that Dell computers do not have dual drive capability. I.e., they don't manufacture any computers that have a secondary hard drive bay. All my files are windows based stuff (I have a ton of Microsoft Windows excel and word documents). I don't like having to keep track of what I have updated and such. I just like to keep my data drive right there. I don't like to keep my data on the same disk as the system either. Not sure how I would feel about Apple. At some point I may get an apple too. Right now, I want windows with a dual drive setup. I am really frustrated.


Netscape Navigator. Oh, the nostalgia. Very Happy

Are you sure you're not just having software problems? Pretty much every notebook I buy from a mainstream brand has to undergo thorough cleansing and tweaking before it runs at a level I deem acceptable (Windows 8 seems to have made this harder...). What do you mean you're having trouble browsing?

By the way, if you don't need an internal optical drive, you can just remove it and install your second hard drive. It's pretty easy to do on most notebooks, and you can find the adapters from the manufacturer or on eBay. Some notebooks also have mSATA slots that allow you to install one or two SSDs in addition to the standard HDD bay. That may be an option. I feel like some of Dell's Latitudes had that as an option, but I might be completely wrong.
Tony The Tiger
william wrote:
Are you sure you're not just having software problems? Pretty much every notebook I buy from a mainstream brand has to undergo thorough cleansing and tweaking before it runs at a level I deem acceptable (Windows 8 seems to have made this harder...). What do you mean you're having trouble browsing?

By the way, if you don't need an internal optical drive, you can just remove it and install your second hard drive. It's pretty easy to do on most notebooks, and you can find the adapters from the manufacturer or on eBay. Some notebooks also have mSATA slots that allow you to install one or two SSDs in addition to the standard HDD bay. That may be an option. I feel like some of Dell's Latitudes had that as an option, but I might be completely wrong.


This is about my 5th laptop after a couple of desktops and I am having a lot of issues of odd things opening up in various browsers. Right now FF and Chrome are real problems. I am getting along in Opera OK. I have never had to figure out how to wipe a browser of addons before.

I definitely need my optical drive. I rent a DVD from netflix about 5 days a week.
Related topics
John Lemon...the return
My list of musics
Teh Lemon Inc
How's Your Job?
ATI 9600xt AIW Making lots of noise
How much and How often you Drink ?
Formating & the Hard disk
What's you favourite drink? recommend me of one...
What is...
Effective Hangover Cures
Lemon Demon Anyone?
A orange seedling or a lemon seedling?
Importance, Benefits and Uses of Lemon in Our Daily Life
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Computers -> Hardware and Electronics

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.