FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

If you could hear an Alien talking what would it sound like?

chasbeen
I think that the sound could be different depending on the atmosphere.
If you tried to speak in an Oxygen rich atmosphere your voice would sound very high pitched.
Intelligent sounds to communicate are only possible when a species has learnt to articulate enough to compose send and decipher communication from other members of that species.

What do you think an Alien convo would sound like?
loremar
There won't be any sound because they'll be using telepathy Very Happy
grofet
I think they (alien) just like animal. They don't have enough intelligence like human, angel or jinn. Angel and jinn are invincible so we can not see them without God's permission. Some Jinn can show something to human to make a fool to human.

But it may possible other human already live on the other planet because they have good technology in the past and move to other planet that have better environment than earth. Only God knows everything.
standready
Who knows. They erased my memory of being with them but I know it happen. Wink
Peterssidan
I think that if the atmosphere, pressure, etc. was similar to that on Earth the aliens would probably have evolved sound on similar frequencies as animals produce here on Earth. We only know one species that has evolved speech so it is hard to say if it is likely that it will be similar to our own speech. If there was too big difference in how the sounds was produced it would probably be harder for humans to learn it or maybe even impossible. In any case, it would probably sound very strange, like all new languages sound strange at first.
Josso
Peterssidan wrote:
I think that if the atmosphere, pressure, etc. was similar to that on Earth the aliens would probably have evolved sound on similar frequencies as animals produce here on Earth. We only know one species that has evolved speech so it is hard to say if it is likely that it will be similar to our own speech. If there was too big difference in how the sounds was produced it would probably be harder for humans to learn it or maybe even impossible. In any case, it would probably sound very strange, like all new languages sound strange at first.

This^ but there still is a slight possibility it would be past our hearing range, or telepathic as suggest above. It might be possible to communicate through smell alone on an intelligent level who knows with good enough noses.
Bluedoll
Clicking noises, they would all use i-pod type devices and be very non emotional.

The aliens we would meet would be very technically adaptive since there had been many generations of them evolving in their flying machine to get here from so many light years away.
deanhills
Depends on the alien. Strong possibility that I won't be around to find out what it sounds like! Shocked Twisted Evil
the_emissary
This question is weird...
chasbeen
Maybe there would be only a few words since telepathy integrates
Just like evolution the connection/communication links will evolve.
Some sound would enhance the communication.
Marcuzzo
I think it will sound something like this:

check at 0:56
Nyasro
i dont think they can produce any kind of sound Smile
Bluedoll
the_emissary wrote:
This question is weird...
Not sure about the sound now but maybe it means "let me outta here". Laughing
playfungames
May be it would just sound like the sound of aliens from the Movie, Aliens Vs Predators. Kututututu click clik.
bukaida
May be they will communicate in sub-sonic or ultrasonic range so that human ear will not be able to identify.
Marcuzzo
this just popped into my mind.
so far we've only been able to see a fraction of the universe and we've not found a single form of life.
so if there is another form of life it must be intelligent enough to evade us.
if there is intelligent life out there, they may have been able to receive and watch our TV broadcasts that have been emitted by our satellites over the last 50 years and have learned our languages.
toke toke puff Laughing

personally I don't believe that "the truth is out there" and that the entire alien hype started back in 1962 ( by Weed smoking hippies ) when a prototype reconnaissance aircraft (Lockheed A-12) crashed during the Oxcart project.
This was a top secret project and the cold war was going on so the US government didn't want the Russians to find out that the Americans had a spy-plane that was undetectable by radar so they had to cover it up.

and if you don't believe me I'll use my Neuralyzer Very Happy

EDIT: for those that are interested: http://natgeotv.com/ca/inside-area-51s-secrets/videos
GuidanceReader
grofet wrote:
I think they (alien) just like animal. They don't have enough intelligence like human, angel or jinn. Angel and jinn are invincible so we can not see them without God's permission. Some Jinn can show something to human to make a fool to human.

But it may possible other human already live on the other planet because they have good technology in the past and move to other planet that have better environment than earth. Only God knows everything.

how do you know that aliens don't have enough intelligence like human? Perhaps they are more intelligent than humans? Maybe why we don't have any evidence of them - if I came across humans (and was more intelligent) then I'd probably want to stay away too. Laughing
deanhills
I can't imagine it. First thought was a clanky clonky type metallic sound, but I'd have thought if they could have communicated on our level so we can hear them actually talking, we'd have been in touch centuries ago.
chatrack
Hi,

I think there will be aliens around us. But they are harmless, since (I think) they are from 4th dimension only and we rarely find their presence here
ratanegra
Like random unintelligible sounds. I would not expect to understand what the hell a living being from the other side of the universe speaks like.
deanhills
Worst part for me is that they may be around but we can't see them. Maybe they're happy we're so hell bent on science for having this incessant need to "prove" they're around.
ratanegra
deanhills wrote:
Worst part for me is that they may be around but we can't see them. Maybe they're happy we're so hell bent on science for having this incessant need to "prove" they're around.

Or perhaps they're really frightened. I mean, you go to a planet and before you arrive people are already suspicious of everything and they are looking everywhere for you. You must feel like they're going to find you. And since they're so paranoid, they will make an excuse to kill you. Poor aliens.
Radar
I can't help but think that this question is related to the Fermi paradox, and one suggested solution being that we just aren't detecting other life in the correct ways.
Marcuzzo
Radar wrote:
I can't help but think that this question is related to the Fermi paradox, and one suggested solution being that we just aren't detecting other life in the correct ways.

it does.

some things just can't be proven, like heaven and hell.

here's a little food for thought:
"if aliens would fart, what would it smell/sound like?"
"If I was to fart in outer space, would the smell travel all the way through space until a counter fart stops it? and would the smell still be the same a few light years away? "

Twisted Evil
Sylin
Very interesting topic this is.

I would guess that life of less or somewhat similar level of intelligence as humans would still use some sort of sound as a mean of communication. We just need some amount of work if we are to perceive/understand it.

But I would think that there is a more efficient form of communication once a life form manages to get up to a certain point in their technological advancements.

I wouldn't go so far as to suggest telepathy, partly because I don't know how one would accomplish that. Perhaps an equivalent sort of thing is something like a [1]device that can scan our brains and facilitates radiations of some kind. There will be none/or less of the usual projection of sounds, and communication will largely be done in a very systematic and orderly manner. Even reading and writing that we humans have is already very similar to this.

I also think that there will come a point where there won't be 'languages' as we know it, but perhaps a [2]direct exchange of our semantic understandings which will always need a language as a median if we are still going to be sticking with sound/sight(read/write) as a mean of communication?
It's a mean of communication that is more semantically direct, one that transcends all languages. Although this does bring in some very interesting questions about our thoughts and their connections with the language we use.

If some life form manage to achieve both [1] and [2], then translations will become an extinct art even to other species that commutes with them.

It may be hard to appreciate, but humans themselves are already a very very scary life form to observe as a third 'person'. Indeed they have already come so far as to accomplish communications over agents who are otherwise geographically located via phones and internet, albeit the message is still going through a 'language filter' and whatnot.
deanhills
Sylin wrote:
It may be hard to appreciate, but humans themselves are already a very very scary life form to observe as a third 'person'. Indeed they have already come so far as to accomplish communications over agents who are otherwise geographically located via phones and internet, albeit the message is still going through a 'language filter' and whatnot.
Laughing This is soooo true. They are VERY scary indeed. Hell also has no fury like a human being scorned. Shakespeare seems to have been able to capture all of the scary parts.

spinout
Hm, there are some stuff on youtube about that. Some guy speaking some alien lingo...

Hm, the terrifying films about abductions in Canada had aliens talk some elderly style of eufratian lingo... since our genes was made there they kind of learned the language from those aliens.... Cool
chasbeen
Aliens in Canada, that explains everything!
jmraker
One shouldn't assume that all aliens have the wisdom of billions of years of evolution. Just because they're using a vastly more advanced vehicle doesn't mean they're as advanced as it.

If I drive a really fancy car it doesn't mean I'm vastly smarter than a person whose vehicle is a bicycle.

Who knows, there's a chance that some could be their planet's equivalent of chimps-in-space. There's also the chance that they're all the best and brightest of their species.
RoylanM
I think it they would sound like they are using French or Italian as I imagine.
daltonedwards
I can totally imagine an alien sounding like it just inhaled tons of helium.. Or like it's about to sing a Lady GaGa song.
harrer
If aliens were to be on earth, it would mean they are far ahead in technology than humans.

Which means that they’d be communicating on the internet and won;t speak anything.