You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Who "discovered" America?

Who "discovered" America?
Vikings, Columbus, ...?
What is your opinion?
I believe that both of them "discovered" the native indians back yard.

First of all, Columbus discovered the West Indies. Second of all, the land he discovered had occupants on it. You know, that's kind of like discovering somebody's backyard. So, when you think about it, all columbus did was discover A west Indian backyard. He got there with his little flag. He was like, "hey, I claim this land for Spain." And the west Indian guy is Like -- "hey, man, get your damn flag out my yard now." "move it now."
Amer-Indian tribes discovered it first. Anthropologists think they crossed the Bering Land Bridge during the Ice Age. The first Europeans to "discover" it were the Vikings. I think the guys name was Eric the Red.
Humans first settled the Americas from Asia between 40,000 BCE and 15,000 BCE. A second migration of Na-Dene speakers followed later from Asia. The subsequent migration of the Inuit into the neoarctic around 3500 BCE completed what is generally regarded as the settlement by the Indigenous peoples of the Americas. The first European discovery of and settlement in the Americas was by the Norse explorer Leif Ericson. However the colonization never became permanent and was later abandoned. The voyages of Christopher Columbus from 1492 to 1502 resulted in permanent contact with European (and subsequently, other Old World) powers, which led to the Columbian exchange. Diseases introduced from Europe and Africa devastated the Indigenous peoples, and the European powers colonised the Americas.
columbus ofcourse. Very Happy
Did Columbus even know that he had found a new continent? Can you really say someone has discovered something that they think is something else? If a doctor treats a patient for what he think is the flu but in fact is a not-yet-known disease, can you really say this doctor discovered a new disease? I think not.
Columbus, even he thought it was India
Who discovered America or who discovered North America. Two different questions. Columbus discovered what we (as Americans) call America. Hes the one that discovered the modern western world America. As for who first landed here I'm not too sure of that answer but they were here a long time
Vikings discovered north america
President of Turkey believes that Muslims discovered America continent. Laughing
Probably, "humanity" discovered America in the late ice age, before 10.000 BCE at the time the Bering Street was still land and became free of ice. It could be crossed.. and the America's were populated.

When talking European colonization there is strong evidence Norse (Viking) people travelled ca 1000AD to Newfoundland well before Columbus discovered the Gulf area in 1492.. and English expeditions landed north.

Wiki wrote:
L'Anse aux Meadows, from the French L'Anse-aux-Méduses or "Jellyfish Cove") is an archaeological site on the northernmost tip of the island of Newfoundland in the Canadian province of Newfoundland and Labrador. Discovered in 1960, it is the most famous site of a Norse or Viking settlement in North America outside Greenland.

Dating to around the year 1000, L'Anse aux Meadows is the only site widely accepted as evidence of pre-Columbian trans-oceanic contact. It is notable for its possible connection with the attempted colony of Vinland established by Leif Erikson around the same period or, more broadly, with Norse exploration of the Americas. It was named a World Heritage site by UNESCO in 1978.

According to: Wikipedia - L'Anse_aux_Meadows

This map is in Wikipedia,

Still lots of people keep on discovering America, for most of them without extraordinary consequences.
Truth is that NOBODY DISCOVERED AMERICA, it was always here, of course the native peoples were here well before the first Whiteman even the Vikings found natives already here.

Aliens, dude, aliens.
Actually, there's a theory or discovery that Amazighs, which are the native people of Thamzgha [north africa], and which even gave a name to africa, are said to have discovered "america" before anyone, and there are even ancient letters and signs of the Amazighs culture that dates to decades back in "america".
I can't remember the name of the article, but i wish i can bring it back, at the end i don't really think it does matter who discovered "america"... So far am not able to actually say that "america" or "americans" really exists.
But what really matter is does "america" belongs to its right native owners?
Which brings a huge debate and whatever, i dont see how can someone sleep nights in other people's land so I give all my respect to Indians.