FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

did anybody every use...

Marcuzzo
Freennet?
I just bumped onto this link and I was wondering if anybody ever used it and if so what they think of it.

https://freenetproject.org/index.html
codegeek
I haven't used it, but am downloading it right now. The anonymity factor makes it appealing. Moreover, I've read the wikipedia entry about it, and want to see what it is all about. Very Happy
rx9876
I read the wiki.
It seems Freenet stores file chunks in computers who joined Freenet.
It doesn't explain how to recover the whole file if one node is disappeared.

Maybe there are some documents describes this, but I didn't try to find them.
Marcuzzo
rx9876 wrote:
I read the wiki.
It seems Freenet stores file chunks in computers who joined Freenet.
It doesn't explain how to recover the whole file if one node is disappeared.

Maybe there are some documents describes this, but I didn't try to find them.

I think this works like any p2p network, the chunks will be uploaded to all the connected peers.
Pippo90
The problem is that the Internet connection becomes very slow. Sad
jmraker
When I first heard about it a long time ago I tried to give it a shot but gave up after failing to understand how to use it, I thought it would have some kind of GUI or a browser. Eventually I tried it again a few years later and found it's mostly a daemon that opens a port for a web browser.

It's one of the bigger darknets http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darknet_%28file_sharing%29

About the file chunks: (as I understand it)
Once it's started your computer becomes a part of the network. Random unknown file chunks are automatically uploaded and stored encrypted on your computer and deleted later to store newer file chunks. There's no way for you to know or control what's being stored
If you download open a site or a file, it will download in chunks. Once it has every chunk it's able to decrypt the file/site and make it available to the web browser to show or save.

If you think the freesite selection isn't too great you can download "frost" to access a usenet like message board system over freenet. http://jtcfrost.sourceforge.net/

I've used freenet for maybe 2 years. When it's running the process will consume about 300 megs of memory, and the disk it's installed will see almost constant drive activity which can really slow down the computer. Since javascript is filtered out and all the HTML, CSS, etc goes through a filter it should be safe. When I tried to make a freesite the css filter removed all the html5 transition tags (so it lost a snazzy mouseover effect). I don't know if those lines were removed when I uploaded the site or by the client when it downloads the css file.
Cruxader
This is interesting to say the least. Need to do some more reading on this. I'm always up for something like this.