FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Leadership

stimul111
The most powerful leadership style is the democratic leadership style. Another name of this leadership is participative http://www.stimulbrain.com/ There is a valid reason for this kind of name of this leadership style. In this leadership style members of the group play more participative roles than the other leadership style. This type of leadership is very
boosscortez
Very what?
You didn't finish your statement. I really want to know. I need to know. Please finish this statement!!! Very Happy
jajarvin
stimul111 wrote:
The most powerful leadership style is the democratic leadership style. Another name of this leadership is participative http://www.stimulbrain.com/ There is a valid reason for this kind of name of this leadership style. In this leadership style members of the group play more participative roles than the other leadership style.

This works in civilian life.

On the other hand, it does not necessarily work in a military environment as stated in the following opinion:

http://www.stimulbrain.com/democratic-leadership-style/ wrote:
Some situations demand quick response and decision. Unfortunately, this is a potential downside of democratic leadership style.
amagard
Wikipedia has a nice article about Leadership Styles.
Whether the Democratic Style is the most powerful one depends on the type of team and circumstances. Imagine a police team getting into a house full of terrorists and finding a situation there requiring a quick decision. Group decision-making probably would take too long and it might be critical to mission success that someone makes a quick ( and hopefully ) right decision.

Nevertheless, I have been sitting in a one hour video class last week about Social Project Management. Social as in "Social Software" or "Social Enterprise" becomes more and more en vogue these days and thus Democratic Leadership Style might become more and more the preferred leadership style for most projects and teams. Especially think about effort sizing, risk identification and assessment, but also gathering lessons learned at the end of a project: the most efficient way to get solid input is thru the entire team.

It has been always my leadership style to get sizings as well as due dates and finally commitments from those people who actually need to do the job. The best motivator for a team member is the own commitment she has made. On the other hand everyone knows from own experience: the best way to de-motivate people is to give them fuzzy objectives and impossible due dates. And to micro-manage them and thus demonstrate how less you trust them.