FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Frihost Code Repository

Marcuzzo
Change of plans

Thanks to the feedback I've received on this topic I decided to change my plant.
instead of using a repository, we'll use this forum.

If you've got Snippets on JSFiddle or the like and you want to share them... Post the link here.

Here's my First contribution: http://jsfiddle.net/Marcuzzo/JPZ2z/embedded/result/
heaven25976
Hi marcuzzo, italian? I'm heaven and i read about your initiative.

I think that it could be interesting.
I agree that it's important to have a standard and some rules. For example the structure you pointed to.

I think that for starting you need only a simple structure like /root/language/projects, when you'll see many pieces of code, you could decide to still subdivide it.
I think it's important also to define a policy, like ..." don't copy code from third party and paste here without permission, don't write illegal code, etc.".

For simple use, i think that every project could have 2 folders:
- Code: the working code
- Documentation: readme and usefull things for using the code
or something like this.
Marcuzzo
Hello Heaven,
since this was your first post here... welcome to Frihost Very Happy

heaven25976 wrote:
Hi marcuzzo, italian?

I was born in Belgium and still live here but my roots are Italian, my father came to this country when he was 13 years old.

heaven25976 wrote:
I think that for starting you need only a simple structure like /root/language/projects, when you'll see many pieces of code, you could decide to still subdivide it.

I totally agree with that.

heaven25976 wrote:
I think it's important also to define a policy, like ..." don't copy code from third party and paste here without permission, don't write illegal code, etc.".

Absolutely, as long as it is permitted to add the code, for instance: GPL licensed code should not be a problem ( I think )

heaven25976 wrote:

since most reposities will support markdown we could also accompany the code with a README.md in the actual project folder and then the documentation will hold all the detailed information such as API usage or the functions.

other throughts:

• incase of javascript plugins we could also minify the code with yui compressor.
  • classes/methods/properties and functions should be well documented in the src version and omitted in the compressed version
  • I'm also a fan of production and development ( acceptance) folders, that way we can make sure that the production folder will only hold tested and stable code.
manfer
I don't think it is a good idea to mess up a bunch of projects in one repository. That's not the way to work on repositories at all. What you need to host a bunch of projects is a git server (github, the whole site is, amount other things, a git server) or any other version control system server, Subversion Server, CVS Server, Mercurial Server...

So even not going in depth if it is a good idea or not, the implementation is not correct.

And I hope you don't get angry for this but in my opinion the way to do collaborative coding is to code something then sharing it with others to allow them to collaborate if they want (if it is useful and they use the code they are going to be glad to collaborate to enhance the project). But that repo hasn't any code at all. I can't imagine Linus sharing to the world, "hey it would be a good idea to make a kernel that will allow us to have a collaborative free Operating System. Here is a link to the repo. Let's do it folks.", and the repo containing a readme mostly with same text.

If I'm going to start a project makes any sense for me to add it to a repository in your github account? Why I should push my code to your account where you have full control and I will only have partial control of my code? Makes that any sense at all?

If any frihost member wants to share any code project he can just share a link to his project, on github, on google code, ..., or on any other place he has it hosted.

And if you want to have all those shared projects accesible from just one place, just create some kind of directory with links to the projects (organized into languages and categories if you like). You even wouldn't be limiting frihost members to just share their projects in github.

But a repo, a repo owned by you makes no sense, at least in my opinion.

The only way in github that would make any sense would be using the concept of submodules so you would need to clone into the subdirectories on your repo other members projects but the projects themselves would be in each member github account and fully controled by the member that owns it. I don't know in depth how github implements submodules. But, still for me just a directory listing makes much more sense.
codegeek
Admittedly, I am not a very experienced programmer, but I have worked on a few projects on my own. I would love to work on something like this, and believe this would help me very much in progressing as a programmer. However, I am pressed for time right now, and I will join it in a month when I have more time. For now, best of luck, and happy coding! Very Happy
Marcuzzo
@manfer
I'm actually glad that you posted this.
I was actually planning on putting code on it but I didn't have the chance to write anything because of personal reasons.

my idea was to collect bits and pieces of code that could be used by the users here.
I'm not talking about huge open source projects but more like a PHP mail class or a very simple JQuery plugin.

I'm not getting angry for you posting this, but to be honest I am just disappointed.
it's easier to criticize then to be constructive.
manfer
Marcuzzo wrote:

it's easier to criticize

I gave my opinion that happens to be that is not a good idea even if it is only for snippets.

If a member of frihost wants to share a snippet why not use a gist (gist.github.com) or pastebin (pastebin.com) for any coding language, or jsfiddle (jsfiddle.net) if he has to share a javascript snippet, or onlinephpfunctions.com (sandbox.onlinephpfunctions.com) for a php snippet, ...

Some of those not only let you share the snippet but they allow anyone to test what the snippet actually do (the sandbox.onlinephpfunctions let's you even test the code in different PHP versions).

Besides pasting a snippet and sharing on those sites is a lot lot lot lot lot easier than pushing to a repository in github which can only be done by members that know how to use git and that have a github account.

On the other hand, the only knowledge to paste and share on any of those sites is copy&paste knowledge from text editor or coding IDE into the browser. Some of the sites doesn't even require to register to share a snippet.

Quote:

...then to be constructive.

I gave on my previous reply my opinion on what could be one way to do something like that. A directory listing. Just links categorized by language and whatever other categories you like, as for example the member that started sharing the code, purpose of the code,... Something that works for snippets or any kind of project, being it very very small, small, large...

If I'm not wrong that's constructive.

And in my opinion pointing out the flaws on the other idea is constructive too. I'm sorry but I can't construct anything positive following the idea of the github repo.

If I were an architect and someone points me to construct a building in some terrain and it happens that I know that the terrain is just quicksand or a swamp I wouldn't be doing any good going on with the construction.
IceCreamTruck
Hey, Everyone! I'm looking forward to contributing to this as well, and I have some suggestions.

Environments: We should split the code into Dev, Beta, and Alpha folders unless you only plan to include "alpha" projects that are tested and used publicly. This way code that is still under development, or in progress, is not included along side code that is tried and true.

Directory structure suggestion: Code Language > Region/Spoken Lanugage > Project Folder (Named like project name) > Project Folders (Source, Documentation, and Classes/Executables)

This adds subdivision of Region/Spoken Language as frihost is fairly diverse already, and adds the suggestion of how to organize the folders under the project folder.

I'm a java programmer so I think in Jars, packages, and Classes not executables.
Arrogant
recently learned about git and the concept is awesome
I would love to see how this goes.
Marcuzzo
@manfer, I can't really disagree with your arguments.
I'll try to come up with another solution.
using existing sites like jsfiddle and pastebin is a good idea but where could we 'collect' all the snippets?
a directory is a good idea but where would this directory be hosted?
Pande
You really need an end goal for progress and teamwork to be done. How can people write issues and discuss fix/wontfix when the end result of the code isn't static?
Marcuzzo
I've deleted the repository and changed the plans, see the first post in this forum for more info.
abhinavm24
i just don't understand what you all are after:?
Wink
Marcuzzo
abhinavm24 wrote:
i just don't understand what you all are after:?
Wink

Then don't post BS like this!
mikelilin
Marcuzzo wrote:
Hello Heaven,
since this was your first post here... welcome to Frihost Very Happy

heaven25976 wrote:
Hi marcuzzo, italian?

I was born in Belgium and still live here but my roots are Italian, my father came to this country when he was 13 years old.

heaven25976 wrote:

I totally agree with that.

heaven25976 wrote:

Absolutely, as long as it is permitted to add the code, for instance: GPL licensed code should not be a problem ( I think )

heaven25976 wrote:

since most reposities will support markdown we could also accompany the code with a README.md in the actual project folder and then the documentation will hold all the detailed information such as API usage or the functions.

other throughts:

• incase of javascript plugins we could also minify js the code with yui compressor.
  • classes/methods/properties and functions should be well documented in the src version and omitted in the compressed version
  • I'm also a fan of production and development ( acceptance) folders, that way we can make sure that the production folder will only hold tested and stable code.

appreciate, useful information.