FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Paying attention...

joshuajack
I want to learn key techniques when it come to paying attention. I can read very good but loose focuse pretty easily, what can keep me motivated?
standready
I can't pay attention either. After all others are paid, there is nothing left for attention.

But seriously, Are you losing focus because of background noises, TV, radio, other people chatting? If yes, find a quiet space or try headphones with a white noise generator playing.
Myself, I need quiet to study/read. If pleasure reading, I don't if my concentration gets broken by noise.
Radar
Avoiding distractions or just fostering genuine interest in what you're doing. Those are my only tips.
bukaida
You are the best person to judge what distracts you, so avoid them. Sometimes the distraction comes from within oneself ,that is reading something and thinking of something else(Multi-tasking is good for machines only Smile ). Sometimes sitting straight, closing the eye and taking some deep breath helps.
rmines
Is the reason for your lack of focus caused by a lack of purpose or goals?
If you have an end result and it looks like a mountain to climb, then break it up into shorter more reasonably attained projects.
Example is the following:
Goal- I want to clean out my basement and make a place where I can have my office and hobbies spaces.
First reaction to my goal was oh my, what a dumping ground the lower level had become. Where do I start?
I rounded up some containers and marked one donate, another trash, another recycle, and the last one was keep.
Then I started in one corner.
Scheduled a reasonable time slot every day for the next month to only do a half an hour a day for the actual sorting and an additional fifteen minutes to take care of the things in each of the containers.
Am now about two-thirds of the way through it and am on a roll.

Because I have been doing so well, I started letting myself look at the ideas out there to organize the space when it is finally completely cleaned out and scrubbed down.
Purchased a one inch thick binder and some sheet protectors to put the printed out ideas into so that project wouldn't become a disorganized mess.
The more I do, the better I focus.

Looking forward to getting it to a final working space I can call my own.
Bonus to all of this moving around is that I have lost ten pounds!
Maybe something on this order would work for you.
jajarvin

joshuajack wrote:
I can read very good but loose focuse pretty easily, what can keep me motivated?

This works for me:
Once you start reading, so think in advance how many pages you read at one time.
Set the target to begin with moderation. Say to yourself: 'now will I read five pages'.

If this is successful you can increase the number of pages to be read slowly.
Pande
Eliminate the distractions. Very Happy

Really, there isn't much more than just getting rid of distractions or learning to ignore them. Problem is, most distractions tend to be other things that actually need attention. So the key is to finish/complete those things as quickly as you can to allow you to focus on the bigger task.
codegeek
Quote:
The best way to do many things in a short time is to do them one at a time.

Just try to allocate time slots to everything else. That way you know you're going to be doing those tasks later and need not think about them now. So, the time you have now is pretty open and you can focus on the job at hand. Plus, schedule some reward time at the end of a long working spree. That way you have something to look forward to.
mshafiq
Near me paying attention in each and every field is a key of success.
boinsterman
Regular meditation is helpful. If nothing else, it makes you more conscious of when, how, and why one loses focus on the present task, and then that can be worked on.
Blaster
Its called ADD... I have it... I just have learned to deal with it. Sure there is medications out there for it but I refuse to take them... I am who I am and thats how I want to stay. Give me something I'm interested in and I can stay focused for hours on it... give me something I could give 2 shits about and most likely i'll last about 3 minutes on the topic.
Da Rossa
Always mind the reward after meeting your goals. After that, do some attention exercises. See a psychologist for that. I got treated and got better in my study performance. I had attention and hyperactivity disorder. There is always a solution.
tonberry
ADD is bullshit in my opinion and taking medications for it is just ridiculous. I have known many people who had ADD and it so happened that most of them were forced to work their asses off in environments that require focus and concentration royale and now they are perfectly organized.

I used to smoke a lot of MJ and had problems of my own with focus. In my worst days when I was reading something, my brain used to switch off during reading some sentence and I started wandering or just "blurring out" while the other part of my mental process finished the sentence to come back from the start, "read it" again, come back and so on and so forth until my consciousness returned to finally read it properly and continue. This could go on for minutes, so some sentences I read like hundreds of times.

And guess what: I started training my focus and it improved. While I'm sure there are people with damaged genetics which can't seem to do much about it, most of us are just distracted because of all the sensory information around us in this day and age. It's like a distorted radio. Just tune it up to the until you hear the station you want Wink
BigGeek
tonberry wrote:
ADD is bullshit in my opinion and taking medications for it is just ridiculous. I have known many people who had ADD and it so happened that most of them were forced to work their asses off in environments that require focus and concentration royale and now they are perfectly organized.

I used to smoke a lot of MJ and had problems of my own with focus. In my worst days when I was reading something, my brain used to switch off during reading some sentence and I started wandering or just "blurring out" while the other part of my mental process finished the sentence to come back from the start, "read it" again, come back and so on and so forth until my consciousness returned to finally read it properly and continue. This could go on for minutes, so some sentences I read like hundreds of times.

And guess what: I started training my focus and it improved. While I'm sure there are people with damaged genetics which can't seem to do much about it, most of us are just distracted because of all the sensory information around us in this day and age. It's like a distorted radio. Just tune it up to the until you hear the station you want Wink

I so agree with this, my nephew had to go through rehab because he was addicted to ADD drugs.

Whatever happened to plain old concentration and dedication. Sure things that are not interesting are hard to focus on. Takes discipline and focus to learn and apply things that we aren't interested in.

The mind is like a muscle in that the more you push it the better it preforms when I fist started in College I struggled to learn a chapter a week in a freshman chemistry class and focus was hard because it was boring. By the end of 4 years I could digest a chapter an hour, and focus was no longer an issue.

The more you work at concentration and focus the better you will get at it, the more you learn the better you get at learning.

Problem is that folks are too caught up in ..... have a problem ..... take a pill to fix it - syndrome.

boinsterman also had a great suggestion - meditation - learning to shut off your internal voice. At first this is incredibly hard and most folks quit after one or two sessions claiming they can't do it. However, if you work at it, daily - eventually you get good at shutting off that internal distracting voice. Once you get good a meditation you will watch all the other intangible areas of life improve - concentration, focus, discipline, learning, blood pressure (biggie for me), eating habits, and insomnia.

For me it sure beats taking pills!!!