FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Favstar.fm





Tony The Tiger
I have recently discovered Favstar.fm. I signed in and tried to figure out my own most popular tweets. For some reason it does not seem to be tallying correctly. Something that I tweeted yesterday had 6 retweets and 14 favorites, yet when I request the best of myself favstar seems to show only 3 favorites and 2 retweets (probably only the ones after I signed in). However, for other people's accounts it seems to count their whole history. What is wrong?
medesignz
It will most likely have something to do with how the API is set up. Depending on the key it issued when you authorised the app, it may be time specific and therefore may show data which is not 100% up to date.
Tony The Tiger
medesignz wrote:
It will most likely have something to do with how the API is set up. Depending on the key it issued when you authorised the app, it may be time specific and therefore may show data which is not 100% up to date.

Is it more likely that it is not up to date or that it only counts favorites and retweets after a certain time. E.g., for each account it monitors might the start date be the time that any given account is first queried. I.e., for a common person like me, maybe no one has ever favstar queried statistics. Thus, might it only count my own stats from the time I first requested statistics on myself?
medesignz
Tony The Tiger wrote:
Thus, might it only count my own stats from the time I first requested statistics on myself?
Exactly that... But that's only my assumption, can't guarantee that that's the case.
Tony The Tiger
medesignz wrote:
Tony The Tiger wrote:
Thus, might it only count my own stats from the time I first requested statistics on myself?
Exactly that... But that's only my assumption, can't guarantee that that's the case.

More precisely, it probably only counts an individuals stats from the date and time that that individual is first queried by another favstar user. In the case of most people I want to learn stats about, this was a long time ago. However, in the case of my own stats, probably no one on twitter has ever favstarred a person like me who only has 70 followers. Thus, when I favstarred myself, it was the first time anyone initiated interest in my stats which are now to be calculated going forward.
medesignz
Tony The Tiger wrote:
medesignz wrote:
Tony The Tiger wrote:
Thus, might it only count my own stats from the time I first requested statistics on myself?
Exactly that... But that's only my assumption, can't guarantee that that's the case.

More precisely, it probably only counts an individuals stats from the date and time that that individual is first queried by another favstar user. In the case of most people I want to learn stats about, this was a long time ago. However, in the case of my own stats, probably no one on twitter has ever favstarred a person like me who only has 70 followers. Thus, when I favstarred myself, it was the first time anyone initiated interest in my stats which are now to be calculated going forward.
That's a very possible assumption
Tony The Tiger
medesignz wrote:
Tony The Tiger wrote:
medesignz wrote:
Tony The Tiger wrote:
Thus, might it only count my own stats from the time I first requested statistics on myself?
Exactly that... But that's only my assumption, can't guarantee that that's the case.

More precisely, it probably only counts an individuals stats from the date and time that that individual is first queried by another favstar user. In the case of most people I want to learn stats about, this was a long time ago. However, in the case of my own stats, probably no one on twitter has ever favstarred a person like me who only has 70 followers. Thus, when I favstarred myself, it was the first time anyone initiated interest in my stats which are now to be calculated going forward.
That's a very possible assumption

Who would know for sure? Where would you research this?
medesignz
Tony The Tiger wrote:
Who would know for sure? Where would you research this?
It would be a combination of reading the Twitter API documentation and the site admin Smile
zimmer
this is a good information.
Tony The Tiger
medesignz wrote:
Tony The Tiger wrote:
Who would know for sure? Where would you research this?
It would be a combination of reading the Twitter API documentation and the site admin Smile

What is API documentation and how do I find Twitter's API documentation? When you say the site admin, are you referring to something at Twitter.com or favstar.fm?
medesignz
Tony The Tiger wrote:
What is API documentation and how do I find Twitter's API documentation? When you say the site admin, are you referring to something at Twitter.com or favstar.fm?
Search Google for "Twitter 1.1 Api Development" (I'm not sure I should post links on the forum) and it should be the first result that comes up. Read up about how applications can call and gather information about certain users when authorisation the permissions. It would be the favstar admins that you should talk to, as they are likely to know exactly what they are extracting from each user that logs in, and how often that that information is updated, if at all.
Related topics
Have you given up on FM radio?
South FM
Where are the FM&CM Fans ?
last.fm and music
last.fm
The official Last.fm Thread
Last.FM
i hacked last.fm
Any experience with FM Transmitter/MP3 Player in car?
6 month Sky.fm gift certificate auction!
Last.fm Loved tracks txt file generation
Last.fm: problems?
Last.fm
Last.fm?
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Computers -> Software

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.