FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Anyone play the ukelele?

wellerchap
Anyone play the ukelele?

My daughter bought one at the start of summer - they're quite hip at the moment with kids/student types in Britain.

She can sit and strum the thing for ages, singing along - she's studying musical theatre at university, so can really well, thankfully Very Happy
Ankhanu
I bought a cheap one a couple years back, and really enjoy it... other than the fact that it's really cheap. The cheapness comes through in the build/sound quality, which really takes away from the enjoyment factor. As such, I haven't picked it up in months, and never put enough time into it to play more than one or two songs.
Intonation on the one I bought is terrible. If I tune the uke up so the strings ring true when open, when I fret, the notes are out of tune from one another. If I tune so that some chords will ring with the right notes, the open tuning is off... Since there's no way to adjust the saddle to correct the intonation, I'm stuck with an instrument that's always out of tune in some way.

I rather want to spend the extra $100-200 and get a decent quality instrument. If I did, I'd play it more... but, there are higher priorities for that money.
twotrophy
I like the ukelele because it is easy to use and learn how to play. It is also not very expensive. I am currently learning how to play although I do not have one. How long does it take to learn how to play the instrument?
Ankhanu
twotrophy wrote:
I like the ukelele because it is easy to use and learn how to play. It is also not very expensive. I am currently learning how to play although I do not have one. How long does it take to learn how to play the instrument?

There's a bit of misconception here...
Learning to play ukulele is no easier or more difficult than most other stringed instruments... I see "it's easy to learn" said all the time, and, while, sure it's true, it's also easy to learn guitar or bass, for example.
The cost of a decently playable ukulele is within the range of the cost of a playable acoustic guitar... and a good quality one is still going to be several hundred to thousands of dollars.

Learning to play an instrument to a reasonable level of proficiency will likely take a few months, but it depends on how much practice you put in, and your raw inclination towards its operation. There's no hard and fast time frame, everyone learns at a different rate.
fuzzkaizer
i can reassure what ankhanu said; nevertheless i have bought a cheapo ukulele some years ago, just with the intention to use it as a kind of travelguitar - at least the three higher strings do the job, and i can play them like guitarstrings, only that they are tuned five frets up...
i can also confirm some problems i had with the ukulele how to get it in tune. the open strings didn't correspond well to the tunes at the frets - it took me a time to find out that it depends on the pressure i used gripping the chords with my fingertips. my cheapo-ukulele is quite sensible to that pressure so that i sort of can adjust the height of a note by the pressure of my fingers to the fretboard, similar to variing a note by bending. so that's the price i pay for buying a cheap instrument, but it's also an interesting exercise i have to learn then. i guess i wouldn't have to bother about such problems with a high quality uke, but i'm a lousy player anyway, and the things i play are mainly for myself and not for an audience, so it doesn't matter too much...
twotrophy
Ankhanu wrote:

There's a bit of misconception here...
Learning to play ukulele is no easier or more difficult than most other stringed instruments... I see "it's easy to learn" said all the time, and, while, sure it's true, it's also easy to learn guitar or bass, for example.
The cost of a decently playable ukulele is within the range of the cost of a playable acoustic guitar... and a good quality one is still going to be several hundred to thousands of dollars.

Learning to play an instrument to a reasonable level of proficiency will likely take a few months, but it depends on how much practice you put in, and your raw inclination towards its operation. There's no hard and fast time frame, everyone learns at a different rate.

Thank you for your advice. Perhaps I would try to get one in the future if I really like the instrument. I will try to look for a budget to mid-range ukelele.