FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What species would you save if animal & plant was dying?

Peterssidan
All animals and plants was dying, and you had the power to save 5 plant species and 5 animal species to repopulate the earth.

What species would you choose?
grofet
I think it is an impossible mission to save earth only with 5 plants and 5 animals. every animals in this world is valuable since they play very important role in food chain. This planet stability is also supported by so many species. The condition that all species is in endangered is so bad and it must be very close to the end of the world (apocalyspe / armagedon).

So, All species must be saved or not at all. That is my opinion.
Ankhanu
grofet wrote:
I think it is an impossible mission to save earth only with 5 plants and 5 animals. every animals in this world is valuable since they play very important role in food chain. This planet stability is also supported by so many species. The condition that all species is in endangered is so bad and it must be very close to the end of the world (apocalyspe / armagedon).

You're right, of course, but, that's not really the intent here, I think Wink

Peter, I assume you're not limiting the extinction to just plants and animals, but rather intended an all life thing? For example, would I have to consider saving fungi, bacteria, archaea, monerans, etc?
deanhills
Hopefully I will never have a decision like that to make. I'd have to be a scientist to work out the best selection for survival of earth and the human species in it.

But if this is a popular question to figure out the animals and plants I like most or think is most important, then it would be roughly the following from the top of my head:

Animals
1. Horses
2. Cows
3. Sheep
4. Dogs
5. Cats

Plants
1. Grass
2. Trees
3. Apple
4. Spinach
5. Orange
Vanilla
deanhills wrote:

Animals
1. Horses
2. Cows
3. Sheep
4. Dogs
5. Cats

Plants
1. Grass
2. Trees
3. Apple
4. Spinach
5. Orange

I agree with most of your animal choices, Dean. The more you think about it, the difficult it is to choose! I believe that I would put some fishes (salmon I think) instead of horses... I love horses but they are not as useful as they used to be in the past. I know I'm being cold-hearted, that's because I'm thinking with my stomach haha!

As for plants... Let me see...

1) Grapes (wine anyone??)
2) Potatoes (this world wouldn't be the same without fries)
3) Vanilla Orchids (I think this world needs some natural beauty too, plus things with great smell. Judge me. Rolling Eyes)
4) Lemon (or oranges, we need some citric fruits)
5) Onions.

Argh this was hard. I was thinking about all the fruits I love and all the salad stuff I enjoy. Tough choices.
zimmer
for me;

Animals are follows:

1. Cow
2. Chicken
3. Pig
4. Fish
6. Birds

Plants

1. Vegetables - horseradish
2. Trees- coconut
3. Fruits- grapes
4. Fruits - apple
5. Vegetables- cabbage

Looks like i got it all.. Very Happy
deanhills
Vanilla wrote:

I agree with most of your animal choices, Dean. The more you think about it, the difficult it is to choose! I believe that I would put some fishes (salmon I think) instead of horses... I love horses but they are not as useful as they used to be in the past. I know I'm being cold-hearted, that's because I'm thinking with my stomach haha!
I was thinking of my stomach too, however thought that fish are not animal, Peterssidan asked for animals and plants, so maybe the fish were OK. With plants I really had a problem, as how to get a balance of nutrients, with multi-coloured vegetables and fruits when one is limited to a choice of five.
Ankhanu
deanhills wrote:
... thought that fish are not animal, Peterssidan asked for animals and plants, so maybe the fish were OK. With plants I really had a problem, as how to get a balance of nutrients, with multi-coloured vegetables and fruits when one is limited to a choice of five.

Fish are indeed animals... they're in the same phylum we are (Chordata).

Animals include such non-mammals as:
.: Sponges
.: Jellies, anemones, hydras
.: Arthropods (insects, spiders, crustaceans, etc.)
.: Snails, slugs, squid, octopus, clams, oysters, etc.
.: Starfish, sea cucumbers, sea urchins, etc.
.: flat worms
.: round worms
.: earth worms, leeches, tape worms
.: tardigrades
.: Bryozoans
.: Other Chordates, from sea squirts, through jawless fishes, cartilaginous fishes, bony fishes, reptiles, amphibians, birds, and the other furry (or less furry) mammals.
There are several other more-or-less worm-like phyla within the animal kingdom, and a few other phyla with different body plans, but, this covers a far breadth of what's out there.
deanhills
OK thanks Ankhanu. I love salmon, but probably will stick with the selection I have.
alvarorojas4
Animals...
1. Cats
2. Dogs
3. Cows
4. Chicken
5. Birds.

Plants,
I don't know anythinbg abouts plants... But I think that some are very important, like the Trees...
raaeft1
I would try to save all existence but coming down to particulars, the dogs,cows and horses would be my preferences.
truespeed
A lot of people choosing animals you can't eat,well technically you can eat cats and dogs,but I assume they are not being chosen for that purpose.

Animals

Cow
Pig
Chicken
Cod
Bee

Plant

Tree (which ever one grows most easily in most environments)
Grass
Potato
Orange
Apple
Marcuzzo
yes... definitely grass.... Mr. Green
loremar
Animals:
1. Cats - love them
2. mice - so cats have something to play with and eat
3. chicken - for me to eat. Cats like to eat them too.
4. fish - for me and cats to eat
5. just random animal - can't think of something else, I just think there's still more animals deserved to be saved. Anything but dogs, sometimes I feel like they want to bite my crotch xD.

Plants:
1. banana - have hypokalemic periodic paralysis, so I have tendency to need potassium.
2. avocado - have more potassium than banana.
3. apple - who doesn't like apple?
4. sweet potato - bec. they're tasty sweet and healthy
5. pumpkin/squash/kalabasa - I eat them more than any other vegetable. Preferably the native one in Philippines since I don't know what squash in other countries taste like.
Gregoric
I think that it would like this:

First of the animals would be the horses - they would provide mobility. Secondly: poultry - as a source of white meat ( Smile ), third of them would be some kind of fish. Fourth is some insect or bug that cleans plants from bacterias of fungus. Fifth? Something that is cute... hmm, as far as I have a parrot at home, that would be parrots Smile

About plants: frist third of them would be something to eat or drink. Preferrably first of them would be something sweet - maybe grapes to be additionally a source of wine ( Very Happy ). secondly maybe bananas or potatoes, thirdly (egoistically) tomatoes as I do love them. Fourth would be some thick, hard type of tree (as a material to build or make fire) and the last one? Hmm something that resides deep underwater in the oceans and clean them Smile I don't know the exact name but I respect such plants.

Huh, that's it Wink
Insanity
I agree that there would be a lot of missing links in the food chain. Even if you do pick five animals, chances are that they depend on a lot of other animals to survive. So they would not survive too long without these other animals in the chain.

However, assuming that for some reason they wouldn't just die out after a while, I would probably choose the ones that we depend on for sustenance, such as cows and horses and chickens. That way our food supply wouldn't be diminished.
alvarorojas4
truespeed wrote:
A lot of people choosing animals you can't eat,well technically you can eat cats and dogs,but I assume they are not being chosen for that purpose.

Animals

Cow
Pig
Chicken
Cod
Bee

Plant

Tree (which ever one grows most easily in most environments)
Grass
Potato
Orange
Apple

I don't choose animals to eat because probabbly it dessapear too xD
GuidanceReader
Okay, I'll play the game. Assuming I stay alive in this process:

Animals -

cow - good eating
chicken - good eating, added bonus of eggs
lamb - good eating
dog - good companionship
guinea pig - I couldn't imagine my beloved pets disappearing.

Plants -

almonds
cocoa
broccoli
coconut
capsicum

The first 4 are the most commonly used plants in my house, the last one is so the guinea pigs don't get sick.

Edited to add... funny how I don't want the guinea pigs to get sick, so think of their food... but how are the cows and lamb and chickens staying alive??? hmmmmm... brocolli? I change capsicum to grass... I think that the animals will be able to sufficiently survive with some kind of blend of the above foods... maybe not well... but enough.
Vanilla
loremar wrote:
Animals:
1. Cats - love them
2. mice - so cats have something to play with and eat
3. chicken - for me to eat. Cats like to eat them too.
4. fish - for me and cats to eat
5. just random animal - can't think of something else, I just think there's still more animals deserved to be saved. Anything but dogs, sometimes I feel like they want to bite my crotch xD.

By reading your post I can assume that you really like cats... Amirite?? Razz

Also is good to see you back, Loremar. Very Happy
Cosmoslayer
Definitely a Panda, everybody loves a Panda! Very Happy
deanhills
Cosmoslayer wrote:
Definitely a Panda, everybody loves a Panda! Very Happy
You're right. OK, I'm going to exchange one of my categories for Panda. OK Panda for sheep.
Peterssidan
Ankhanu wrote:
Peter, I assume you're not limiting the extinction to just plants and animals, but rather intended an all life thing? For example, would I have to consider saving fungi, bacteria, archaea, monerans, etc?

I meant the Animalia and Plantae kingdoms. Well, of course many of the other organisms will die too because they depend on animal and plant species that no longer exist to survive.

grofet wrote:

I don't think it is impossible. Many species can survive outside their normal niche if they have no competition from other species.

Insanity wrote:
I agree that there would be a lot of missing links in the food chain. Even if you do pick five animals, chances are that they depend on a lot of other animals to survive. So they would not survive too long without these other animals in the chain.

It is part of the problem to get the food chain to work. The food chain doesn't need to be as complicated as before. Predators are probably not even necessary. The prey species will most likely survive anyway. Wink
playfungames
This is quite an interesting question. While the scientists out there might give a great answer to this question. I give you the following list which according to me would save the planet again:

Assuming that humans would already be saved

Animals:
Cows (for dairy)
Dogs
Horses
Pigs
Chicken

Plants:
Grass (The one that cows eat)
Potato (the plant that grows potato, as I heard potato and dairy are all that is required for people to survive)
Olive Oil
Banana
Broccoli
truespeed
Looking at this from a serious perspective,why would anyone choose dogs.? Other than companionship they offer very little to the survival of: the planet,and as for pandas,I notice those who chose them have not given them any food to eat,so they would die very quickly.
Radar
It's an interesting question, but I'm interested less in which animals/plants have aesthetic value, and more which ones you would need in order to even hope for a working ecology.

I mean, the complex nature of our world says that if most animals/plants died out, we're in trouble, but, it's still interesting.
Deline
Animals:
1. PANDAS <3
2. Koalas <3
3. DOGS <3
4. Chicken - we need to eat?!
5. Cows <3 - for the milk, I swear!

Plants:
1. Potato
2. Apples
3. Lettuce
4. Basil (is that correct?)
5. Grapes
jajarvin
Animals:
1. Homo Sapiens
2. Horse
3. Dog
4. Pike
5. Worm

Palants:
1. Apple
2. Sun flower
3. Grass --> for the horse
4. Tomato
5. Pine
DanielMartin1
First of all I Try to save all especially Endangered Ones
ratanegra
From the animals, I would save:

1. Humans

2. Dogs

3. Cats

5. Dolphins

And from the plants, I would save:

1. Palm trees

2. Mango trees

3. Grass

4. Roses

5. Coffee

edit: Oh, god, I just realized that I suck at making lists in forum format. If only we could add some CSS here.
Peterssidan
ratanegra wrote:
Oh, god, I just realized that I suck at making lists in forum format. If only we could add some CSS here.

This is how you do lists.
Code:
[list=1]
[*]Humans
[*]Dogs
[*]Cats
[*]Aras
[*]Dolphins
[/list]
moncong
Deline wrote:
Animals:
1. PANDAS <3
2. Koalas <3
3. DOGS <3
4. Chicken - we need to eat?!
5. Cows <3 - for the milk, I swear!

Plants:
1. Potato
2. Apples
3. Lettuce
4. Basil (is that correct?)
5. Grapes

pandas and koala? seriously?
Peterssidan
I would save some kind of grass because it can grow in many places and is an important food source. I would also save some kind of moss because it can survive harsh conditions and help to conserve moisture. I would like to have at least one broad-leaved tree species and one conifer species so I choose birch and Scots pine. These trees doesn't block as much sunlight as some other trees like the Norway spruce, so my hope is that this would create a healthier ground vegetation. Not sure about the fifth plant species but since I have already chosen 1 moss and 3 spermatophytes I choose polypodium vulgare which is a small fern.

I think worms are important so I save some kind of earthworm. I like snails and the white-lipped snail is quite nice. I was going to choose an insect but I think woodlice are quite cool creatures so I choose them instead. The biggest of the animals I would like to save is the elk (moose). I think it should be able eat all the plants I have chosen except maybe moss so I hope it could survive, even throughout the winter season. I also want a bird species so I choose the raven because they are clever and not too specialized so that they should be able to use the food that is available. They can probably catch worms, snails and maybe woodlouse and also eat elks that have died.

I would have liked to have bumblebees and flowering plants but I think it's hard to select suitable flowers to supply food throughout the whole season. If the bumblebees died the flowering plants would probably have died too, and that's why I played safe and only picked plants that used wind pollination or spores.
codegeek
Peterssidan wrote:
ratanegra wrote:
Oh, god, I just realized that I suck at making lists in forum format. If only we could add some CSS here.

This is how you do lists.
Code:
[list=1]
[*]Humans
[*]Dogs
[*]Cats
[*]Aras
[*]Dolphins
[/list]

Or, you know, just type in normally and use just one return after every element of the list. Very Happy
codegeek
Peterssidan wrote:
I would save some kind of grass because it can grow in many places and is an important food source. I would also save some kind of moss because it can survive harsh conditions and help to conserve moisture. I would like to have at least one broad-leaved tree species and one conifer species so I choose birch and Scots pine. These trees doesn't block as much sunlight as some other trees like the Norway spruce, so my hope is that this would create a healthier ground vegetation. Not sure about the fifth plant species but since I have already chosen 1 moss and 3 spermatophytes I choose polypodium vulgare which is a small fern.

I think worms are important so I save some kind of earthworm. I like snails and the white-lipped snail is quite nice. I was going to choose an insect but I think woodlice are quite cool creatures so I choose them instead. The biggest of the animals I would like to save is the elk (moose). I think it should be able eat all the plants I have chosen except maybe moss so I hope it could survive, even throughout the winter season. I also want a bird species so I choose the raven because they are clever and not too specialized so that they should be able to use the food that is available. They can probably catch worms, snails and maybe woodlouse and also eat elks that have died.

I would have liked to have bumblebees and flowering plants but I think it's hard to select suitable flowers to supply food throughout the whole season. If the bumblebees died the flowering plants would probably have died too, and that's why I played safe and only picked plants that used wind pollination or spores.

You know what would be cool? A simulation program that takes the animals as input and simulates life on earth. That way we'd know how the scenario would play out and exactly how long it would take for life to disappear completely. I'm assuming here that without most of the species, the ecosystem would not be stable and would collapse. It's probably a very difficult, if not impossible, project with so many things to consider and everything interacting with everything else. I think a simpler version of the game with just a few flora and fauna is possible, though.
asnani04
A very tough decision to make, indeed. I like the choices listed out above. My choices would be:

Animals:
1. Cows
2. Dogs
3. Tigers
4. Squirrel (just for fun)
5. Monkeys

Will think about plants and then right further.