FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Firefox crashing on New Windows 8 computer

Tony The Tiger
I have a new Hewlett Packard Envy DV7 computer that runs Windows 8. I have 8 GB RAM installed. Firefox crashes a couple of times a day. My old Windows 7 computer only had 4 GB RAM and never crashed. I generally keep about 3 or 4 windows open with about a dozen tabs in open in each window. Do I need more RAM?
cybersa
Just uninstall it comepleterly.
Then install a new Version Firefox 22.
Just now i checked it on my friends laptop with win 8.It was working nice.
manfer
Using the default uninstall process and installing again is not a good solution to solve any firefox issue. When you uninstall firefox (with default options) the user profile is not removed from your computer and when firefox is installed again that profile is imported and reused. When firefox starts to work incorrectly is because of some kind of problem on the profile (wrong settings, or whatever other problem that has damaged the profile, ...), so installing a new version of firefox that imports that profile will not be advisable. You are not doing a clean install of firefox.

There is an option during the uninstall process to remove the profile. Using that feature and installing firefox again is one of the ways to finish with a new clean firefox. But I wouldn't recommend this method either.

Firefox has a feature to reset the preferences that is enough to start again with a clean firefox. That feature just resets the preferences, and reset all firefox extensions, both plugins and themes are removed, but preserves bookmarks, saved passwords, history, ... This is the method I would recommend to fix firefox problems. With this method you will only need to reinstall the extensions and theme if you are using any, all the rest will be preserved.

http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/reset-preferences-fix-problems
duytam28
I don't see any problems using Windows 8 and firefox so far. Try to backup your data, unintall and reinstall it again.
zimmer
I am still using windows 7.

I think its not on operating system; its more on virus.. make sure your antivirus is always updated.
amagard
Instead of un-installing Firefox you simply can start to use a new user profile and thus find out whether your problems are related to your current user profile. Good description how to do this is here on the Mozilla Support Web Site.
To do so run "firefox.exe -ProfileManager" and create a new user profile and go from there.
Of course this means you will start from scratch again: no more bookmarks, extensions, cookies, saved form entries and passwords ....
There is a method available to move all those settings from one user profile to another one but you probably don't want to do this for now as it could bring back the problem you are currently dealing with.
abhinavm24
Try installing the latest version .
See if it is windows 8 specific.
:p
metalfreek
I am using firefox on Windows 8 for a while and I have no problem so far. You can try disabling all add ons and see of its an addon conflict.
Tony The Tiger
manfer wrote:
Using the default uninstall process and installing again is not a good solution to solve any firefox issue. When you uninstall firefox (with default options) the user profile is not removed from your computer and when firefox is installed again that profile is imported and reused. When firefox starts to work incorrectly is because of some kind of problem on the profile (wrong settings, or whatever other problem that has damaged the profile, ...), so installing a new version of firefox that imports that profile will not be advisable. You are not doing a clean install of firefox.

There is an option during the uninstall process to remove the profile. Using that feature and installing firefox again is one of the ways to finish with a new clean firefox. But I wouldn't recommend this method either.

Firefox has a feature to reset the preferences that is enough to start again with a clean firefox. That feature just resets the preferences, and reset all firefox extensions, both plugins and themes are removed, but preserves bookmarks, saved passwords, history, ... This is the method I would recommend to fix firefox problems. With this method you will only need to reinstall the extensions and theme if you are using any, all the rest will be preserved.

I have bookmarks, search plugins, extensions and themes. If I save my search plugins folder and my bookmarks folder and use FEBE to save my extensions, can I restore everything?
manfer
Tony The Tiger wrote:
manfer wrote:

I have bookmarks, search plugins, extensions and themes. If I save my search plugins folder and my bookmarks folder and use FEBE to save my extensions, can I restore everything?

The idea of making a reset is to get rid of whatever thing is making your firefox crash. So as explained what that feature makes is:

- Firefox configuration is resetted to its factory defaults. (this get rid of any misconfiguration or a hacked configuration).
- It removes any extensions. (this get rid of any faulty extensions)
- It removes all themes and firefox is resetted to default theme. (this get rid of any faulty theme)
- It makes a backup of your current profile, it creates a new profile, copies to new profile the bookmarks, history, stored passwords, ..., an activates this new profile.

So you start with a clean firefox with bookmarks, history, stored passwords, ..., preserved and extensions removed, themes removed and not now sure but I think the same for third party plugins (this means for example that probably adobe flash player has to be reinstalled and if needed java runtime plugin too, and any other third party plugin you may be using).

Extensions, themes and almost sure plugins, must be reinstalled and one by one preferable, and probably better if you only install those that you need.

I would not recommend at all to save addons (extensions, plugins, themes) and restore them as the idea of the reset is to clean firefox of possible faulty addons. If you need the addons again you reinstall them from within firefox extension manager, theme manager and with the third party plugin installers. If you are using any sofisticated extension that need custom configuration or that stores data that you can't lost you would need to backup somehow all that data.
andro27
Better you use chrome .Its stable and faster then firefox.In market you have many extension and plugin and they work correctli.
Tony The Tiger
manfer wrote:
The idea of making a reset is to get rid of whatever thing is making your firefox crash. So as explained what that feature makes is:

- Firefox configuration is resetted to its factory defaults. (this get rid of any misconfiguration or a hacked configuration).
- It removes all themes and firefox is resetted to default theme. (this get rid of any faulty theme)
- It makes a backup of your current profile, it creates a new profile, copies to new profile the bookmarks, history, stored passwords, ..., an activates this new profile.

So you start with a clean firefox with bookmarks, history, stored passwords, ..., preserved and extensions removed, themes removed and not now sure but I think the same for third party plugins (this means for example that probably adobe flash player has to be reinstalled and if needed java runtime plugin too, and any other third party plugin you may be using).

Extensions, themes and almost sure plugins, must be reinstalled and one by one preferable, and probably better if you only install those that you need.

I would not recommend at all to save addons (extensions, plugins, themes) and restore them as the idea of the reset is to clean firefox of possible faulty addons. If you need the addons again you reinstall them from within firefox extension manager, theme manager and with the third party plugin installers. If you are using any sofisticated extension that need custom configuration or that stores data that you can't lost you would need to backup somehow all that data.

My primary computer has now totally crashed. So its firefox crashes are not that important. I will be sending it out for repair this week. When I get it back next week, I will figure out how to do some of the things that you have suggested.
mahirh
No problems here. Just switched to it last week from chrome as it got highly unstable.
alvarorojas4
Tony The Tiger wrote:
manfer wrote:

My primary computer has now totally crashed. So its firefox crashes are not that important. I will be sending it out for repair this week. When I get it back next week, I will figure out how to do some of the things that you have suggested.

So, it seems that it was your computer...
Tony The Tiger
alvarorojas4 wrote:
So, it seems that it was your computer...

I think Firefox crashing was either a RAM thing or a problem with an addon/extension. However, I thing that when the whole computer crashed it was either a Bios issue or a motherboard issue.