FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

wooden spoons

onebadpenny
I just read a book about carving wooden spoons, It looks like something I could do, and something I never thought about before. The book has really good step by step instructions and lots of patterns to choose from. Including one with a celtic knot design that I'm thinking I might have to try replicating. I've carved figures before, when the mood strikes and there happens to be some carvable material within throwing distance of both me and some implement sharp enough to make it seem, at first glance, worth the effort, But I've never done anything structured with an actual plan, and a finished product in mind before even starting..

Anyone else do any wood carving? I may share some of what I've done especially if I get motivated enough to start a new wooden spoon project.

whee! I can do this
fuzzkaizer
once about 15 years ago i had a chat with a shepherd from galicia, in spain. he told me that he had always been a shepherd, and apart from that never did any other job, except: he used to carve spoons of different sizes and forms, which he could sell on the market. he was really good at carving spoons, and it was a traditional handcrafted product of shepherds then...
abhinavm24
Never heard if wooden spoons.
But good to know,
And is it durable ,i doubt it.Wink
rx9876
abhinavm24 wrote:

And is it durable ,i doubt it.Wink

I think homemade wooden spoons are for collection more than actual usage.

Wooden spoons need some special procedures to prevent corruption or going mildewy.
Even factory-made wooden spoons can't be used too long.

No offense, but I prefer using those tableware made by stainless steel.
Peterssidan
Are you making the whole spoon or just carving the decoration?
fuzzkaizer
wooden spoons are of course for use and not just for decoration - they are slightly bigger than the spoons for eating soup, and they have a quite long handle and are used for cooking soups and similar things in a pan, a pot or a kettle. you need something to stir and to agitate the food while cooking, and there is nothing better than a big wooden spoon for that.
to me it seems funny that anybody could call the wooden spoons into question!
and if you treat them right, they last for ages - still there are some of my grandma's cooking spoons in use today. of course you do not put them into the dishwasher or soak them in water over night...
also there are wooden spoons and forks in use as salad cutlery. also they are quite bigger than a usual fork or spoon, too.
here you can see a set of old cooking spoons:

http://t2.ftcdn.net/jpg/00/41/88/99/400_F_41889949_xrhsumdodOfAoXbfTap5dFXbZbMWBqcz.jpg
Peterssidan
I made a wooden spoon in school many years ago. It had no decorative carvings though and I have never used it. It is a bit big to eat with and looks more suitable to scoop porridge onto a plate or something like that
fuzzkaizer
Yeah! That's exactly what you should do then with that spoon! Very Happy
medesignz
I used to go out with someone who had a phobia of wooden spoons. FACT!
rx9876
medesignz wrote:

Really?!
How does that like?
Did he/she ever shock to fall into a coma when he/she got near to a wooden spoon?
mshafiq
we have in our tradition wooden cooking spoon.
medesignz
rx9876 wrote:
medesignz wrote:

Really?!
How does that like?
Did he/she ever shock to fall into a coma when he/she got near to a wooden spoon?
She just hated them being used when I used to prepare food. I went out with a girl who had a phobia of wet tissues... I certainly know how to pick them... Razz