FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Road trip in Africa?

deanhills
I am thinking of doing a road trip in central Africa - Rwanda, Uganda, Kenya and Tanzania. Should be interesting to go round Victoria Lake where Livingston and Stanley had trekked a century or two ago. Wonder whether it is doable however? Maybe a bus trip would be a better option? Partially, depending on road conditions?

kaysch
deanhills wrote:
I am thinking of doing a road trip in central Africa - Rwanda, Uganda, Kenya and Tanzania. Should be interesting to go round Victoria Lake

Wow, this is an interesting project. 1.800 km on central African roads and through 4 countries. Plus at least one ferry trip from Kikongo to Busisi (both Kenya). I have never been to that part of the world, but so far the Frihost response has not been overwhelming anyway.

Not sure whether you like travel guides. I do to prepare my trips, and the Bradt series is my favourite. They cover Kenya (only highlights), Uganda, Rwanda and Tanzania, although those guides are from 2009/10 and therefore may be a little outdated. They also have an edition about Africa Overland, not sure whether that is any good. Depends on when you want to go, maybe until then they will have updated their books. http://www.bradtguides.com

Lonely Planet offers a book that covers your trip pretty well. I don't like those guides a lot as too many people follow their suggestions blindly which has a detrimental effect on hotel quality, but in this case it might be a better bet as their guide is from July 2012 and as your trip is pretty much off the beaten track. http://shop.lonelyplanet.com/africa/east-africa-travel-guide-9/

I guess around lake Victoria you will have all sorts of mosquitoes. Make sure you get informed well before heading off. I find this site to be a good start: http://www.tripprep.com

For the latest on bus timetables, road conditions, visa restrictions, safety issues, border crossing procedures etc. my favourite is still Thorntree http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree

When do you plan to go?
Afaceinthematrix
I've been working for the past couple of months in West Africa (that is why I don't post as much anymore. I'd love to post more but internet is challenging here) and I will be here for quite a while. I'd love to go to those countries and that trip should be fun but if you manage to come over here to West Africa instead, make sure to stop by and visit me! Also, that's quite a lot of distance. I don't know what roads are like there but where I'm at, it may take me 3 hours to travel 30km in the raining season (no joke). In fact, I tend to ride my bike a lot because it's always more comfortable and usually quicker. So make sure to check out road conditions and you may want to avoid the wet season.
kaysch
deanhills wrote:
I am thinking of doing a road trip in central Africa - Rwanda, Uganda, Kenya and Tanzania. Should be interesting to go round Victoria Lake where Livingston and Stanley had trekked a century or two ago.

What came out of your plans, deanhills? Have you ever done the trip or are you still planning to do so? Your idea has inspired me to do something similar.
oliviafoster01
RoadMap is so helpful in finding the exact location of the given country
chartcentral
Would this road trip include a safari tour or something? Smile
jackbreat
I thing road trip is the best to find the actual place of the country.
mikeperhem1
The road trip is the best if you want really enjoyed your trip. It is comfortable and help to find the road. The road trip is perfect when we organized it with the friends. It is a good outing and we feel refreshed our mind.
mikeperhem1
Yes..Road trip is very amazing.I also love road trip because it good way to find or see natural beauty of outside the country place.But some time many traffic problems are occurred at midnight or in day.