FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Technically how a windows os start

maheshsharma
I want to know which files are called and executed at the time of startup nad in which manner???
metalfreek
In DOS system three system files are loaded into the RAM while booting. IO.SYS, MSDOS.SYS and COMMAND.COM

I don't know if same thing happens in Windows.
cybersa
maheshsharma wrote:
I want to know which files are called and executed at the time of startup nad in which manner???

During startup these files will executes:

1.Entries in the Register Editor.{HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run}
2.Then Startup folder located in C:\Users\USER\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
badai
If you are looking for the log file of loaded drivers and services after the OS starts, go to the System Configuration Utility (msconfig). The services tab will show you the services that have loaded, and the StartUp tab will show you the programs that have started from the 4 startup registry keys.

To see which drivers & services are loaded by the OS in order, click on the Boot tab, and check the Boot Log checkbox. Then reboot. The log file ntbootlog.txt is found in the Windows system folder. If you run in repeatedly, data is appended to what's already in the file
dustindallas
No hes wanting more like a flowchart I think of what Windows does from the minute its beginning to start. Not what .exe files are loaded.. This might help some its for Windows Vista, 7, etc

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Vista_startup_process