FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

finally a full time job then not

standready
I am a mechanical engineer and have been freelance for the past 13 years. freelance has it good points and bad (not having work to do or not getting paid for work done). So a little over a year ago, I decided to start looking for a full time position. Most were 70+ miles away which means a lot of time on the road not to mention wear and tear on car and me.
So last week I got a call about a local place looking for a 'Machine Design Engineer'. Interviewed last Thursday and got confirmation today and start tomorrow. Good pay rate and benefits (What is 'vacation'? laugh) plus short (2 mile) commute.
Time to reset the alarm clock!
mathiaus
Congratulations Very Happy
A year is a long time of looking! Then again, goes to show you have to be in the market in the first place, and the longer the better. Hope it goes well tomorrow and you settle in quickly.
johans
congratulations!

That is very interesting and inspiring to hear!
abhinavm24
congos
Cool

n reset alarm clock!!
Smile
watersoul
Excellent news standready, well done!
Hope you find a nice group of people working there as well, makes all the difference I think.
...and short commute, even better, that extra hour in bed, oh yeah! Smile
Ankhanu
Wicked! I hope to follow suit soon; the security of a good job is a wonderful thing.
standready
Thanks everyone.

watersoul wrote:
Hope you find a nice group of people working there as well, makes all the difference I think.

Everyone in the place seems very nice and goal oriented. They lost their previous engineer 2 months ago and have been working from rough hand sketches by the old timers since. A lot of catching up on drawings to do plus cleaning up the entire CAD system to make it user friendly for everyone. Heck, I can't even find some drawings that are in the system because the way the last person generated them.
I have one CAD operator to work with me on straightening everything up while still doing new projects. Oh, what fun!!
Ankhanu
Ooh, that's a big job! Good luck!
I was helping some coworkers with a similar(ish) task last summer, trying to make land classification maps generated in the 70s fit with actual GIS maps... some of the old maps were off by several hundred metres... and in different directions. I don't think it was ever properly dealt with (partially because the ecologist on staff is near retirement and was involved in generating the originals, and everything that's been done since has been based on them). Cleaning up someone else's data mess can be one heck of a job.
TheGremlyn
That's amazing news and it probably takes some of the stress of making sure you have some money coming in. Hopefully the job doesn't replace that stress with new stressors. I bet you'll have that place cleaned up and running smoothly and steal boss man's job right out from under him!
standready
TheGremlyn wrote:
Hopefully the job doesn't replace that stress with new stressors.

Until I get up to speed on the machinery they manufacture and their CAD system and get some 'standards' set and figure out which one of the three family members (bosses) I really answer to, STRESS!
They have managed since 1965 to get the equipment made - so who I am?
watersoul
Good end to your new working week I hope standready?
Hate the alarm clock yet?! Laughing
standready
watersoul wrote:
Good end to your new working week I hope standready?
Hate the alarm clock yet?! Laughing

I was asked to come in half day tomorrow so week not yet. I have almost always awoke before my alarm clock goes off so no hate here.
watersoul
standready wrote:
I was asked to come in half day tomorrow so week not yet. I have almost always awoke before my alarm clock goes off so no hate here.

Overtime in your first week, even better, definitely earned yourself a celebration pint this evening.
...I usually wake up before my alarm as well, but it's noisy instruction to actually get out of bed is something I have never learned to love!
standready
Worked 5 hours yesterday then took a road trip to talk with one of my own clients. Pints on the way home. Brought home a small (well paid) project which I have already finished. More pints to celebrate. laugh
Did my usual check of online sales for my holder and found someone had ordered my book so I need to generate that as well.
watersoul
Sounds like the perfect end to a successful week for you.
I hope this is the start of a winning run, and your second week proves equally successful Very Happy
standready
Thanks watersoul.
Second week start by staying over 1 hour. Working with old drawings are just not cooperating me to make new drawings from. CAD system at this place is everyone for themselves - no standards (for the past 15 years). Every drawing acts different. Part of my job is to set up a standard to follow. Good grief! or Doh!
standready
Well, tomorrow is Independence Day in the US. No work but boss is having late evening 'company' picnic and fireworks at their house and I was invited to attend so I will.
moncong
im mechanical engineer too and im freelance photographer.. glad to hear that you finally found your job
standready
Thanks moncong. I enjoy doing engineering. Freelance gave me the opportunity to grow by working on a very wide range of projects but as I already said it does have some bad points. The new full time position is going well.
I did pick up another small freelance project last weekend. Already complete (designed a specialized print roll) and payment received.
Nick2008
Congratulations on the new job! Glad to hear they gave you a generous package with this so-called "vacation". From what I've heard it's supposed to be pretty nice. Very Happy
Huseyinnnn
congratulations friend
standready
Because of not actually having an engineer for several months, they have put 'the cart before the horse' (sorry Jay). I am finding so many released parts that are wrong. Now, redoing but having to work around existing materials on order. Makes an even bigger mess of the situation.
standready
Bad news! I was in a temp to hire position at this job. Today, the company let me go because a former employee and good friend of the owner got laid off from another job and ask to come back. So I was told that they are very happy with work but they have both of us. This other person is NOT an engineer just a CAD operator. The people in the shop are not happy with my departure either.
I was also told they may call me back. See what happens!
I am smiling because that is what you do when you get ____!!
Back to freelance full time!
JosuaA
Hello, good day to every one online. I am new here and i do not how is work here.L am 49 years old man from spain. Looking for job in europe zone. I am electrician man, barman and sports instructor.
Da Rossa
Well, since this topic has been bounced after 15 months, I thought I'd find an update from standready but maybe (s)he's gone.
Please come back and tell us how is your life as of today!
standready
Da Rossa wrote:
Please come back and tell us how is your life as of today!

Thanks Da Rossa. I have been doing freelance projects. The work is good (when I can get it). A couple of projects were really challenging.
Still looking at/for a permanent position. I have to laugh sometimes. Job openings at a company get filled only to be open again later. Either the company hired a poor employee or the company is bad to work for. I have had 'headhunters' not forward my resume to a company because I had only 6 1/2 years designing that type equipment and company wanted 7 years experience.
standready
I also laugh at some of the ridiculous requirements employers have. One required twenty years of experience designing their specific product. One insist that you have expert knowledge of specific specialized codes. I see these openings still available for over a year now. Wonder why?
And don't forget "must include salary requirements" with resume. Only interested in looking at the cheapest instead of the best.
deanhills
Don't know how I missed this thread (thanks for bumping it Da Rossa Smile).

WOW! Missed congratulating you Stand. Must have been quite an experience. Wonder what ethics could possibly be behind letting you go for an old employee that had let the company go. Doesn't sound like good management at all. Most of all they lost a real mechanical engineer. Their bad.
standready
deanhills wrote:
Must have been quite an experience. Most of all they lost a real mechanical engineer.

Thanks for the complement, Dean. It was a 'different' experience for sure. Family owned business with son now running but Dad and uncle still there. Dad takes care of purchasing and uncle handles the "engineering" if you want to call it that (I don't).
I wonder what will happen when Dad and uncle decide to go fishing permanently! That is not too far off either.
BigGeek
Interesting discussion - I guess I'm lucky unlike you (standready) I found a job in a small company here in Boulder CO and it is pretty good. CEO is a tightwad but that's manageable, work is steady, engineering and software development is excellent - we all could be a little better on documentation - but all in all it is a good working environment!

I have seen and heard of numerous small companies that operate like the one you worked for, and I typically count my blessings that I found the job with my present employer!!

I'm a wireless network engineer so not really an engineer like a ME - I know a quite a few network engineers that freelance and much like yourself they are either feast of famine on the work end of things.

I took my present job 3 and a half years ago after I was laid off from General Dynamics - before that I worked 9 years for IBM and was laid off there in 2008. Worked contract position at AT&T for a year and got laid off. After that I was a contract employee for GD.

When I was looking for a job after my layoff from GD I decided on my present company because the only thing out there was contract to hire jobs - this was the only position at the time that was a permanent full time position with benefits.

After my last two contract to hire jobs I was done with that - but you already know how that contract to hire deal works Shocked
standready
Good for you, BigGeek. You touched on my main reason for wanting a full time job - benefits! Thanks to that jerk president we have and his Obama "really don't" healthcare mandate, I can't afford insurance anymore and will be padding his pockets with a 'fine' come 'tax' time. May he rot in purgatory!
marianproj
congrats Very Happy
playfungames
It is great that you are switching from freelancing to working full time. That must provide some great benefits.

I am currently a freelancer and I am also trying to create content for my websites so that I can have some passive income in my pocket. I also love to work on my own time, so I love freelancing. And additionally, where I live, the pay is so low that freelancing a few hours per week will help me reach that pay rate. So, I love freelancing and building my own websites. Plus the living cost here is kind of low so I don't need a high pay to sustain. But the problem with freelancing is that we are making money but we aren't building a career. At least until companies change their view about freelancing and count them as experiences. Most companies don't do it.

But, for you I think it is better to work on a stable job. Congratulations and best of luck.
standready
playfungames wrote:
It is great that you are switching from freelancing to working full time. That must provide some great benefits.

As I said earlier, back to freelance because old friend (without skills) of owner wanted the job.
BigGeek
standready - I hear you on the health insurance end of things, I took the job when I was single and my health insurance was covered with nothing out of pocket. During my employment I got married - When we first started living together I inquired about adding her to the insurance - WOW it was expensive - declined - Obama care gets passed and we have to get her health insurance - shopping around turns out the best deal was my work insurance - everything else on the co-op websites was cheaper but worse coverage and I figured that the extra $80 a month was worth it as I would easily make that up in prescription drug costs alone - So just like that I take a $460.00 a month pay cut to get health insurance for my wife.

I love her dearly and want her covered - but I couldn't help but thins $5,520.00 a year holy crap Wonder how much the fine is?????

It's just sad whenever the Government gets involved in anything if goes to crap Mad
standready
BigGeek wrote:
Wonder how much the fine is?????

I believe the fine is one percent of your income for 2014 and fine increases for 2015.

Sad thing: sign up period for the 'affordable' healthcare started November 15th. False advertising! Nothing affordable about it. Coverage was less expensive before Obama used his 'executive' pen to screw people.
BigGeek
standready wrote:
BigGeek wrote:
Wonder how much the fine is?????

I believe the fine is one percent of your income for 2014 and fine increases for 2015.

Sad thing: sign up period for the 'affordable' healthcare started November 15th. False advertising! Nothing affordable about it. Coverage was less expensive before Obama used his 'executive' pen to screw people.

Yeah you know that may be so - but for my wife she had a pre existing condition and was denied - Obama care did make her eligible for insurance which she could not get at all before because of a knee injury - So as down as I and most everyone else is about it - there were some pluses to the program

Not many - but some Crying or Very sad