FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Have you seen a snake in the wild?

jajarvin
A few days ago I saw a viper snake slithers in the woods. I got scared a lot.
Viper is not exactly venomous snake, but its bite causes nausea and fever.

Has anyone else seen a snake in the wild?
Ankhanu
A viper is exactly a venomous snake... some of the features used to deliver said venom are diagnostic of the family.

Yeah, I've seen a few snakes in the wild. When I was in the southern USA, I saw a cottonmouth, and here in Atlantic Canada we have five species of (non-venomous) snakes. Of those five, I've seen three: Maritime garter snake (Thamhophrs sirtalis pallidula), smooth green snake (Liochlorophis vernalis vernalis) and the northern red-belly (Storeria occipitomaculatus occipitomaculatus). I've identified specimens of the northern ringneck,(Diadophis punctatus edwardsii) but I haven't seen any alive.
LxGoodies
Yep, I've met a snake in the wild, once. It was rolled up and in the middle of the path. Brownish, silent, quite large as I recall it, but I was 13-14 years old at the time, so it may have appeared larger than it was.

I vividly remember the moment. It was on a holiday in Austria, in the mountains. I was alone, going for a "Hutte", I had a map and a compass. I like backpacking very much, I still do.

I dunno what kind it of snake was.. but I was very very scared !! walked back, took about 100m way around it.

Lx
Peterssidan
I have seen Vipera berus and Natrix natrix.
fuzzkaizer
for me it's nearly the same, the biggest part of snakes i have seen so far are colubrids, some of them are natrix natirx, but there are also other forms of them, like the Aesculapian Snake: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aesculapian_Snake
and others called "Würfelnatter".
adders (vipera berus) i haven't seen many, maybe three or four, all of them in high mountainside, and they are the only venomous snakes in the alps, as far as i know .
jmraker
I've seen a few wild snakes in our front yard, they're mostly small and harmless. A few years ago I came 2 inches from accidentally stepping on the head of one while trying to get to my car, lucky for it I figured it wasn't just a stick. A few months ago I seen an eagle attack, kill and fly off with half a snake leaving the other half behind.
mathiaus
No. More likely to see a rat or mouse than a snake where I live, not really what we are known for. Then again, I'm sure there are some, just not where/when I've been looking.
Yep, proof that I'm just unlucky (or lucky depending on how you look at it) -> http://www.wildengland.com/wild-animals/reptiles/land-reptiles/snakes

Where's CoolClay? I bet he's seen loads and has some cool stories to tell with photos to go along as well...
Ankhanu
Was trying to find some pics of our snakes, only found two from last year;
Smooth green:

Redbelly:

mathiaus
Nice pics, they don't seem too bad. I always have this thought of a huge snake whenever I think snake. Huge, violent and poisonous. Shame on you
Ankhanu
Some are, but most aren't really all that big, and many aren't venomous at all. All of our snakes are not venomous here, though if you travel further west and/or south, snakes get a bit bigger and more are venomous .
TheGremlyn
I've seen an itty bitty little snake once... in our yard somewhere. My dad was working on one of the basements windows back in the day when I was a little sprout of a kid. I was watching him work when something caught my eye. I yelped and pointed and said "SNAKE!" and dad just jumped right back on his heels and stared around.

I can't recall is there was a snake now but there was it slithered away out of site and it probably took dad a bit of time and a few beers because he went back to work on the window.
metalfreek
I haven't seen any snake in the wild so far but if I do seem them I will probably scream and jump. I am really afraid of snake.
codegeek
I have seen a few snakes. Mostly small, non-poisonous ones in the Terai region of Nepal.
watersoul
I've seen a few Adders over the years warming themselves in the sun while I've been walking the coastal countryside. They are the UK's only poisonous snake but are rarely fatal to humans. Beautiful little snakes though, I've spent some time just studying them when I've been lucky enough to cross their path.

Another snake in the UK is a Grass Snake, much bigger and non-poisonous. I've only ever seen one, while camping a few years ago, it slithered quickly out of a bush as I approached and did make me jump until I realised it was no danger. About 1 metre long and 3cm thick, lovely green colour.

I've never seen a wild Smooth snake in the UK, it's our only other indigenous snake. I would love to one day though.
Peterssidan
People who say they have seen snakes but don't know what species, do you see the difference between a snake and a legless lizard? I have seen Anguis fragilis many many times and it is way more common than any of the snake species here. If I didn't know, and I saw it for the first time I would probably thought it was a snake.
watersoul
Peterssidan wrote:
People who say they have seen snakes but don't know what species, do you see the difference between a snake and a legless lizard? I have seen Anguis fragilis many many times and it is way more common than any of the snake species here. If I didn't know, and I saw it for the first time I would probably thought it was a snake.

Used to see loads of them in past years but with the perfect almost sterile gardens people seem to have these days much less so. We call them 'slow worms' in the UK even though they aren't worms or particularly slow! Amazing little wrigglers though, good fun to say hello to Smile

Here's a couple of poor quality pics of the last one I found with my son, about 5 years ago clearing undergrowth:

dude_xyx
jajarvin wrote:

That depends on which type of Viper and most of these types can be deadly. Also a sanke bite become deadly depending on several facts,

1) Bitten body part
2) Time of the day (around noon when Sun is at its high it can be deadly)
3) When you are tried or sick

etc.
Ankhanu
Well, no. Venom isn't defined by its toxicity and likelihood of causing human fatality; that's a potency (and type) discussion. Whether potent enough to kill a human or not, venom is venom; if an organism produces venom, regardless of type and potency, it's venomous.
RoylanM
I've seen and held a anaconda, they are big as hell, when I first saw it up close at the this little show (that's where I held it) I was almost scared to death. I personally wouldn't prefer too see one again.
LxGoodies
Perssidan wrote:
people who say they have seen snakes but don't know what species

It was not as smooth as the worm shown above.

I think I found my snake in images.

It looked like this one,

The german name is "Aspisviper"
grofet
I don't like going to the wild. So maybe i have never seen wild snake on the wild in the whole in my life. But i see wild snake in my house, in the zoo, on the television or movie and in my dream while i sleep. There are so many wild snake in my country, since my country is so big and have a lot of tropical jungle. I think it's normal for people to be afraid with snakes, since some snakes can harm or even can kill human in short time. Some snakes are friendly to people and they help people get rid mouse / rat that destroy the crops.
lemonedia
Nice snakes! I have a friend with a HUUUGE boa. Too bad I don't have any pictures to share... and it's not really out in the wild so... lol.
nickfyoung
I have seen plenty of snakes whilst living in Tasmania. The tiger snake is one of the nastiest in the world and can kill you in a short time. I used to keep a shot gun at home for the ones that come too close to the house and would get several every year. I was confronted by a huge one once when I found myself between it and the scrub behind me. It was already up about a meter in the air with his head flattened and about to strike when I spotted it. I was well within range and I would have been dead because I was several hours from civilization. I just froze and eyeballed it. I fixed my eyes on his beady eyes and that seemed to hold him from striking. I knew I couldn't hold his gaze forever and I knew that as soon as I broke that gaze he would have me so I ever so slowly bent my knees till my hand was on the ground not breaking my hold on his eyes. Luckily I was on foreshore with lots of driftwood all about and I grabbed a piece in my hand and slowly straightened again moving my hand behind me as I came up. I knew I would only get one shot so I lined him up and swung with all my strength and took his head right off. I think I was still in shock for a long time after.
Blummer
I think was just out on a river and I saw one on the water surface, when I was a kid. Had no idea whether it was poisonous or not. But I got quite scared and left the water immediately, almost like walking on it Laughing
Pippo90
There are some vipers in the place where I grew up in Italy, but I have never heard of any accident so far. People just pay attention not to trample them when walking through tall grass, that's all.
Radar
I don't know. Probably, but I have no specific memories of such an event, and I'm happy for it to stay that way.
standready
I have seen several different types of snakes while traveling. Only snake I have seen locally is a simple garden (or garter) snake. harmless.
75alex
I saw a snake which got ran over by a car right in front of the house my family rented in Algarve, Portugal, does that count ? Very Happy
Afaceinthematrix
I have seen hundreds of snakes in the wild. Where I grew up in Southwestern United States, between the months of late March and early June I'd see them almost daily. I've seen tons of rattlesnakes (venomous), gopher snakes, garter snakes, rosy boas, rubber boas, California King Snakes, etc. I've been living in West Africa for the past few months and I've already seen one snake here but I am unsure of what it is. I sort of want to see a Green Mamba and a Cobra but I definitely want to come across them in a safe situation where I am in control - not when I'm walking through a farm.
mshafiq
i did not have any to see a snake in wild but in zoo i saw may time.
pravojednostavno
I have not seen any snake in the wild.
Vanilla
I was born and raised in a place filled with snakes and I remember seeing a lot in the wild (since the wild was everywhere). Those I can name correctly: Waglerophis merremi and Sucuris, especially Eunectes murinus (you guys know them as Anacondas).

This video was recorded near where I lived. I guess the lesson learned here is "hold the freaking giant snake correctly".
Peterssidan
@Vanilla I don't understand the language. Is that how they transport Anacondas that has entered the cities? I'm glad I don't have snakes like that here! Shocked You're at least lucky that they aren't venomous too, that would have been a nightmare. Evil or Very Mad
chasbeen
Just the good 'ol grass snake. Funniest was the time the cat brought one in!
Do Lizards count? The walls were covered with them in Dominica. Lived there for 2 months!
Deline
Once my friend and I were playing at her father's ranch and we saw a snake passing through the jungle. We didn't even have the time to think: both just ran off like crazy. o.O
coolclay
Hey Mathius thanks for thinking of me (even though this post is old).

I've handled hundreds of species, both wild and captive and had the unfortunate experience of getting envenomated by a timber rattler (my own stupid fault).

Chasbeen where in Dominica did you live? I love that country so much.

Thanks for sharing that video Vanilla. Those guys look like idiots though, anaconda's are strong but with that many people it shouldn't have been a problem!

Top to bottom- Water moccasin, souther pacific rattler, and the red diamondback rattler
Here are some of my venomous snake encounters.

richandmaninder
The only time i have seen a snake is when my dad ran over one in a car
Vanilla
Peterssidan wrote:
@Vanilla I don't understand the language. Is that how they transport Anacondas that has entered the cities? I'm glad I don't have snakes like that here! Shocked You're at least lucky that they aren't venomous too, that would have been a nightmare. Evil or Very Mad

Ahh, no need to understand that. It's French, so I can't understand it either. Very Happy Usually this snakes end up in the middle of a road or in someone's yard, so they call the environmental police to capture and return the snakes to the wild. But like I've said, the wild was everywhere around us... It was very common to observe not only snakes but all sorts of birds, alligators, capybaras...
coolclay
Vanilla, on a side note have you eaten capybara? I hear it's really good.
standready
I have seem quite a few different snakes though none local except a garter snake that likes my downspout drainlines.
mshafiq
i am little scared from snake.
mshafiq
I don't know whether I should say wild or not but I saw it in the deserts. When I was coming from my college to hostel in 1992, it was extremely barren area in the middle if we choose shortcut. I was in the middle when I saw the snake. It was black in color, it might not be a dangerous snake but I heard that green snake is not dangerous. Because it was a black one so I got frightened. I was so confused, whether I should run or not. Because I have already heard, when you run snake chase you more. I was thinking of running away more and more. I was thinking the snake is gonna chase me. That made me run faster and faster. I did not even look back, till I get to my entrance gate of college. Smile
Peterssidan
There has been unusual good weather recently so I have seen a number of snakes taking a sunbath in the last few weeks.
fuzzkaizer
the difference between the "legless lizzard" or the slow worm and the snakes is quite obvious, if you know them - their head resembles rather a lizzard than a snake, that is for example it can close it's eyes, while the snakes, at least the ones in the alps do not have eyelids. and it does not have a "neck", that is the part behind the head is as thick as the head and the following body. it's overall form resembles more "wormlike" than a snake would be. the snakes i know here around have a "neck"-part that is thinner than the head or the following body, especially the adders use to have a significant thin neck following a slightly triangular head. and the snakes are getting thin and thinner towards their end, that is their tail... the slow worms have quite thick or stub tails. and yes, theiy are quite slower than the snakes, but naturally depending on the temperature, if it is cold, they all are moving quite slow...
dude_xyx
I have seen plenty of snakes in real life mostly those harmless types. I have seen deadly types too like Cobra, Viper and some others plus Anaconda and huge Pythons in Zoo. So I guess that doesn't count.
Insanity
I've seen a couple of snakes while I have been hiking in the woods. They are pretty scary sometimes, even if they are completely harmless. It is because they seem to camoflauge so well with their surroundings and do not move until you get near them, then they make quick movements that frighten and startle.
playfungames
I have seen a little snake in the wild. I think it was a baby snake. I saw it during a hike. The snake was really small and I thought it was a big earthworm at first. I don't know the species of snake though.
pravojednostavno
I've seen a few - and I don't like snakes.
Daddycool
I have many times
Daddycool
I have many times
Daddycool
I have many times
Daddycool
I have many times
Daddycool
I have many times
Peterssidan
Yesterday I saw a small one in the water. We almost went over it with the boat.
LxGoodies
Yesterday, a python (someone's pet..) escaped where I live. Haven't seen him else I would have reported immediately. Poor animal. Hope police and vets will locate him soon.. the season is getting colder, a python can't survive autumn/winter here..
fuzzkaizer
yesterday we saw a ring snake (natrix natrix)
[img]http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ringelnatter#mediaviewer/File:Natrix_natrix_%28Marek_Szczepanek%29.jpg[/img],
it was maybe quite young, and only about 50cm long,
when we walked home from school in the afternoon -
it was lying there in the grass, maybe to bath a little in the sun, and as the sun was already going down, the temperature dropped also, so the snake was very slow because of the cool ground, besides it had swallowed a mouse or a frog quite a short time before, so it was really fat in the middle of it's body, and because of that it moved maybe even slower... anyway, we could easily catch it, to have a real close look at it. some of the kids touched a snake for the first time and were quite exited, also i had never seen before a snake with full stomage so close - sort of a funny thing, if you're not the one inside.
coolclay
I love ring neck snakes! Where did you find it? I just caught a large northern water snake with a bunch of students yesterday!
Blaster
I hate snakes with a passion. I have seen a few in the wild although I'm not exactly sure of the species. I believe one is a garden snake.
fuzzkaizer
hey Blaster, one could easily "hate anything with a passion", without really having significant confrontations with it...

the region where we found the snake was a former floodplain forest of the danube river - there are still many small backwater lakes of the now controlled river. along the road they even built sort of a little fence and underground passages for the amphibians and reptiles there, so it might be a nice habitat for them...
LxGoodies
Blaster wrote:
I hate snakes with a passion

I read it wrong.. at first sight I interpreted this as "I hate passionate snakes" Razz see example below

mistertoya
jajarvin wrote:

Me. but long time ago
Nyasro
Yes, I saw a snake in the wild while I was on a tour last year. It was green in color and I almost stepped on it. My tour guide told me, it was a non venomous snake.