FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Repairing a cracked screen

Tony The Tiger
What is the best (cheapest) way to repair a cracked screen on an HP Pavilion laptop computer once it is out of warranty. I stopped by Office Depot and they said that they charge $599. I called the Best Buy Geek Squad and they said that they do not repair cracked screens.
Ankhanu
Laptop screen replacement does not come cheap.
Your cheapest route may be to buy a used, dead laptop (same model) on eBay and swap out the screens. If you're lucky you might get one for a couple hundred.

Alternatively, bypass the screen and hook it up to an external monitor.
william
Actually, you could just buy a replacement screen off eBay for around $50-$70. It's best to replace it yourself since the labor costs for such a job tend to be extremely high, but it's not too hard to do so long as you're patient.

Also, just for what it's worth, don't bother with the services offered by these larger stores because they tend to be extremely overpriced. An independent service is almost always the better option if you can't DIY.
Tony The Tiger
william wrote:
Actually, you could just buy a replacement screen off eBay for around $50-$70. It's best to replace it yourself since the labor costs for such a job tend to be extremely high, but it's not too hard to do so long as you're patient.

Also, just for what it's worth, don't bother with the services offered by these larger stores because they tend to be extremely overpriced. An independent service is almost always the better option if you can't DIY.

I ordered one for $64.99 including shipping and taxes. I have found a local computer shop that will install it for $60 if I need it. IIRC, installing it is a lot harder than replacing RAM or a HDD. I may pay him the $60.
william
Tony The Tiger wrote:
william wrote:

I ordered one for $64.99 including shipping and taxes. I have found a local computer shop that will install it for $60 if I need it. IIRC, installing it is a lot harder than replacing RAM or a HDD. I may pay him the $60.

Definitely harder but certainly not impossible. The one HP laptop I took apart to that level came apart without too much effort. I just had to be very careful not to snap the plastic which was quite thin in some areas. Patience is always the key the first time you're doing it.

But $60 labor isn't too bad at all, so it's good that you have something to fall back on. Check out the disassembly guide for your specific model and see if it's something you're willing to take on.
crazyfffan
Quote:

Not really hearder, if you already know how to replace a HDD (that requires disassembling the laptop), then you automatically know how to seperate the screen from the body, from which with a bit of patience you can crack the screen cover open, exposing the LCD panel free for replacement.
It might take up to 30 minutes to do, if you earn more than $120 an hour then leave it to the professional, else you should do it yourself.
Tony The Tiger
william wrote:
Tony The Tiger wrote:
william wrote:

Definitely harder but certainly not impossible. The one HP laptop I took apart to that level came apart without too much effort. I just had to be very careful not to snap the plastic which was quite thin in some areas. Patience is always the key the first time you're doing it.

But $60 labor isn't too bad at all, so it's good that you have something to fall back on. Check out the disassembly guide for your specific model and see if it's something you're willing to take on.

It turns out that the screen they sent me had the jack/adapter/port thingy on the wrong side and came with an adaptor cable, but the cable was defective. As a result the backlighting was not working. However, if I placed a light behind the screen, I could see that it was working. I contacted the seller and he told me to take it out of the brackes and connect directly without the adaptor and it then backlit correctly. He is sending me a new adaptor cable so that I can complete the repair.
Tony The Tiger
I am now on my third screen replacement order. The latest supplier was Screenmall.com. Hewlett Packard says the screen that I am trying to replace is a model number 516303-001, but that it could also be replaced by a screen with the model number 516295-001 or one with a 516296-001 model number. However, my 2010 Hewlett Packard Pavillion DV7 is designed with a right side connection port. It seems the parts suppliers on the internet mostly sell left side connection ports. You can buy right/left converter cables for less than $5 online including shipping so it is no big deal if you have the wrong one. However, I have been trying for a month to get my screen repaired without paying $600 and it is quite an ordeal. The screens have only been partially compatible with my laptop as they all seem to produce blues where some whites should be and oranges in place of some blacks. I have had to pay a computer guy just to install my screen, which is ridiculous. This is getting annoying.