FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Building computer

Insanity
Does anyone else enjoy building their own computers? I've just started to build my own, and I think it's a lot of fun researching everything and finding good deals for everything. It's also so nice to build something by yourself and having it as an achievement.
watersoul
I haven't worked on any PC's for a long time now but I'm thinking of getting a Raspberry Pi and starting a new love for digital bits n pieces Smile
Ankhanu
I used to build my own systems, then I switched to Mac in 2007 and haven't looked back Razz
Watersoul, I picked up a RPi last summer. They're a great little system and learning tool. If you get one, I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun with it.
watersoul
Ankhanu wrote:
Watersoul, I picked up a RPi last summer. They're a great little system and learning tool. If you get one, I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun with it.
I certainly intend to, having flashback memories of typing code on my old Dragon32 as a kid, but imagining something wildly more powerful with limits set more by imagination than resources Smile
conroyaj
I love to build my own computers. Ever since I had the money to do it I have built and upgraded my computers. There is just a better sense of what is going on and if you're trying you can even make it cheaper and more powerful than a regular manufacturer's price.
saratdear
Ever since I learnt how to build my own, yes. I've already built two of mine and helped a friend do his.
LxGoodies
Ankhanu wrote:
I picked up a RPi last summer. They're a great little system and learning tool. If you get one, I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun with it.

Yes I agree.. it's one of the cheapest functional systems too. And really fun to play around with. And there is a lot of professionals playing with it as well, it is not just a learning tool.
jajarvin
I have lots of parts of old computers: hard disks, screens, memory chips, CPUs and so on.
It is always a fun to make these parts working together.
Flazh
love to build my own pc Very Happy and even upgrade it Very Happy
mengshi200
Ya,i even have two old crt 17 screens without fault, three diffrent memory chips ,five hard disks, one whole good 586 host and so on,haha.

jajarvin wrote:
I have lots of parts of old computers: hard disks, screens, memory chips, CPUs and so on.
It is always a fun to make this parts working together.
standready
I used to be part owner in a computer business. I built so many custom configured computers for our customers. Would be building one while formatting drives and install OS/software on another.
TheGremlyn
I enjoyed building my own tower years back. That's how I got my own computer, I salvaged a bunch of old pieces from old PC's owned by other people. Learned more and more about them over the next few years. I haven't had the time or money to build one, just bought prebuilt systems but I want the flexibility that comes with building your own system. I'd like to swap out parts here and there and upgrades individual aspects. Get a strong core in place and I'm sure the rest will fall into place.
Minamii
i will buy new computer next month Laughing
jajarvin
I have lots of parts of PC-computers: memory chips prosessors, main boards, hard drives, Displays, display cards and so on. Some times I build out of them a 'new' PC. II do it is just for fun.
lemonedia
If ANYONE wants a computer, they should take the time to build it!! Not only do you get more bang for your buck, but you really get to see how cool the systems of computing are! How it all works together and how one aspect of a computer can bottleneck another.

I've just recently replaced everything inside my computer tower, and I don't regret it one bit! For roughly $600, I went from an okay computer, to one that can do everything I need it to, and play the games I hobby about (Starcraft 2, and Dota2)
deanhills
lemonedia wrote:
If ANYONE wants a computer, they should take the time to build it!! Not only do you get more bang for your buck, but you really get to see how cool the systems of computing are! How it all works together and how one aspect of a computer can bottleneck another.

I've just recently replaced everything inside my computer tower, and I don't regret it one bit! For roughly $600, I went from an okay computer, to one that can do everything I need it to, and play the games I hobby about (Starcraft 2, and Dota2)
I'd love to hear what the specifications of the computer are? And a photo perhaps? Very Happy
BigGeek
I suggest building PC's to people all the time, and if you don't feel like building your own I suggest buying a bare bones system or having a local computer shop build you one. Here is why!

The form factor is called ATX, and is the generic case, power supply, and components that make up your system. Purchasing a mother board that has lots of versatility in the BIOS makes upgrades and repairs easier in the future. Not to mention parts acquisition is easier because the components are generic and can be purchased just about anywhere.

If you buy Dell, Acer, Toshiba, Lenovo, or any other proprietary brand you then have to return to the manufacturer for almost every component if you need to replace parts or want to upgrade. Maybe hard drives will work but typically I have to struggle adding a new HD or DVD that is not from the manufacturer for the PC I'm working on. Example adding in a larger hard drive to a older Dell was very difficult and required a BIOS upgrade to get the computer to recognize the larger hard drive. Another example was adding in a good graphics card to an older Dell, needed to upgrade the power supply to handle the graphics card, no power supplies from any place besides dell would work, had to buy the power supply from Dell.

If you have a generic ATX system you can get components just about anywhere and upgrades and repairs are pretty straight forward and simple.

I say build your own PC or buy a bare bones generic system, in the Long Run you will be happier with it!!!! Cool
stanleykc1
Started building my own computers since 2003 after my computer engineering program... it was fun... i literally open it up every week and assemble back
rmines
I would like to build my own, but have only gotten to the stage where I have been able to:
Install an additional hardrive.
Install additional memory.
Install additional USB ports.
Completely take apart my computer and put it back together again and it worked!

Would like to learn more about this endevour.
Have not gotten around to researching resources for learning it though.
75alex
I builded mine a couple of years ago, and i enjoyed it too ! Smile
I have problem with power supply now, but i'll fix it when i have time.
Insanity
Trying to build a new computer now. I think there's a lot of fun in researching all the different parts you need to ensure that you get a good deal. I think that way it makes it much more personal and you know more about what parts you have in your computer otherwise because you spend so much time looking at them.