FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Xbox One vs PS4





Iceaxe0410
Just wondering how everyone else feels about this generation of video gaming and the implications. I'm sure most video gamers know about the problems that xbox one presented with their system:

1. Must have an Internet connection to play any games. Right off the bat, I think this effectively screws a pretty large number of video gamers. Not everyone has a broadband or higher Internet connection. Some are limited to dial-up, no Internet, or limited use plans (e.g. x gb per month).

In addition, every single game needs to be registered online. It's not too much different from a PC game, but with one difference: you can't play it offline more than 24 hours since you need to register your games every day for the life cycle of the console. If the xbox servers go down, does that mean everyone that has a xbox one cannot play any games at all? There are also speculations that banned users won't be able to play any of their games either. If your xbox live account gets banned, does that mean you won't be able to play any games at all? What happens at the end of the life cycle of the xbox one? Does that mean no one will be able to play xbox one games on the console at all?

Sure there will be emulators for PC, but that's PC. PC is superior to video game consoles in pretty much every way provided you have the money and time to build/buy your system. The general consensus is that video game consoles seem to be moving towards PC. The problem I have with that is that it loses it's simplicity. Video game consoles were built to be convenient. One main function which was to play video games. You hook it up, plug it in, and play the game. With the xbox one, that changes by requiring an Internet connection along with all the DRM policies they implemented.

2. The xbox Kinect, an hd infrared camera. Oh...geez. Always on, but you can "turn it off." I imagine a good portion of gamers wouldn't be too concerned with this, except if you care about privacy. Microsoft assures that safeguards will be in place to protect privacy and private information. Why do I get the feeling that it will only serve as a challenge to hackers? Just think of the implications here. You have what basically amounts to a surveillance device in your home and there's a good chance that anyone with enough skills can look and listen into your home. Now, some of you probably think that might not be a big deal, but think about the dangers of this. Video games tend to be used by teenagers and kids. What's to stop pedophiles from hacking into various xbox one consoles just for that purpose? What about the government? Microsoft is known to be a company that discloses information to them. Do you think it will lead to illegal wiretapping?

3. Hard drive space. Both PS4 and xbox one starts with 500gb of space. So, no problem there, except in the case of the xbox one. The xbox one requires mandatory game installs while the ps4 doesn't. Usually game installs take up a few gb of space. Moreover, the xbox hd cannot be upgraded whereas the PS4 can. Both of course make up for lack of space by allowing external storage devices, but that costs more money of course.

4. Price. Xbox one: $499 vs PS4: $399. Both consoles are pretty much on par with each other in the hardware department save for the slight advantage that PS4 has in the ram category.

Here's a link for the side by side comparison if you're interested.

The main difference is the xbox one inclusion of the Kinect camera system. One argument is that it's $100 more because it includes the camera. The problem many have with this is that they are forcing the peripheral device on everyone that buys their system. I think they over hype the excitement of the Kinect. The PS4 has a less advanced camera for $60 that does pretty much the same thing, but it's optional.

Then you have the memberships for online service. Xbox live vs PS+ There isn't too much difference between the two at this point. Both are required for online gaming and you get various perks with membership. It seems PS+ offers more perks, but we'll have to see if that continues when the PS4 launches.

I don't have anything against the xbox one, but I find it very hard to make the choice to buy the console. I already preordered the PS4. Usually, I buy every console but I might skip out on the xbox one. I have to see how it does first before committing.
Laro696
Actually the hardware of the 2 consoles are not on par.
Ps4 beats xbox in processor, ram and graphics card as far as I can remember. Only slightly, but still enough to notice.
But now its all up to the developers to push the consoles to their max.
As it stands now, ps4 wins because of the $100 price difference.
The fact that you can play used games without trouble and don't need to be connected to the internet just gives it a much bigger gap.
catscratches
It's a pretty sad state of affairs that not getting screwed over is seen as a feature and PS4's online paywall isn't seen as an issue.

As usual I'll wait until a few years down the line before I get one (if I get one at all). The Xbone is completely out of the question unless the terms change dramatically.
TheGremlyn
My next console will probably be a PS4. XBOX one just rubs me the wrong way with having to be connected all the time. I think it will also be harder to buy used games except at specific stores but I'm a little fuzzy on the details there. I also have a lot of games I want to play on the 360 and I'm not sure you can play those on the new console. The change might be good since I've heard good things about the graphics quality of the PS3 so I expect the PS4 to deliver in that area as well.
wombatrpgs
I hardly used last generation's consoles (apart from the Wii, thanks to Fire Emblem) so I doubt I'll pick up anything this gen. Maybe when there's a Fire Emblem game for the Wii U, or Smash Bros is decent. I expect PS4 and Xbox One to both get decent sales though; gaming enthusiasts tend to get up in arms about everything but there's never any real change.
Laro696
TheGremlyn wrote:
I think it will also be harder to buy used games except at specific stores but I'm a little fuzzy on the details there.


According to Microsoft, it is up to the game's developers to decide if they want the game to able to be used 2nd hand or not.
But we will probably only know for sure once the console launches.

I don't have a Xbox360 anymore, nor a ps3. Only a wii.
so i'm pretty tempted to pick up a cheap xbox or ps3 2nd hand once the new consoles launch.
That's what i did when the psvita launched and when the current gen launched (bought a ps2).

Last gen rules! (and so so cheap). Sucks not being able to play the latest games though Sad
william
The PS4 has more interesting exclusives, slightly better hardware, no ridiculous DRM, and costs $100 less than the Xbox One. Um...yeah...I'll buy an Xbox One because it can get can get cozy with my cable box (er, hang on, I don't have a cable box...).

I had been planning on getting a Wii U once the good exclusives come out, and naturally I had been waiting to see what the new offerings from Sony and Microsoft were going to offer. When they first showed the PS4, I loathed the social aspect of it, but all of that was forgotten when Microsoft demoed a media box you could talk to, as opposed to a game console. -_- No question about it, I'm grabbing a PS4 in the future (I already preordered one, but I'm likely going to sell it for profit since I'm currently enjoying the PS3's rich library).

I am a PC gamer, first and foremost, and I really don't want consoles to close the gap. They're different and should stay that way. And as far as used games and DRM goes, I like Nintendo's view: that video games are like toys that you should be able to pull out many years from now and play like you would with an old action figure. After all, I still enjoy pulling out old cartridges and playing the gems of my childhood. Very Happy
Nikola992
PS4 all the way, better hardware, no annoying DRM, cheaper, and u can use it offline, i dont know if u ppl have seen the clip from E3 where MS official says that "who cant have 24/7 internet access, we got something called xbox360".

Srsly if an official tells u to f**k off if u cant hang on the net 24/7 in a slightly more polite manner, u have no reason to purchase their product
LostOverThere
It's still way too early to say. In 2006, everyone was saying the 360 easily trampled the PS3, but here we are 7 years later and the PS3 has developed into a very mature console with some excellent exclusives.
Klaw 2
At first I do detect a bias ...... :/

1. Though yes it has to hookep up to the internet once every 24 hours and people who have dial-up, only have to connect for a short time... and for people who have limeted gb per month, it's unknown how much this affects them... once every 24 hours but how long is it gonna send a few kb's mb's? We don't know...
Though people who have no internet connection are definitely screwed...
Speculation is just speculation it's never a good argument... http://megagames.com/

At the end of the life cycle of xbox one? It isn't even out yet -_-' ... Maybe they make a last update so you dont have register anything anymore... but all of that is pointless speculation...

(The DRM made for the xbox is optional for the publishers... the funny thing is that microsoft did it for them because some of them wanted better drm with 2nd hand games and everything. However now all of the publishers have sneaked away... and "no one" asked for this... :s...)

Yes the drm is a problem for some it makes selling 2nd hand games a bit more fussy but still possible. It does make it impossible lending a gamedisc to someone to try it however... you can select a few people (10 i think) who can "borrow" your games they can download and play the game... and 2 people at the same time can do this...
http://www.techhive.com/article/2040995/xbox-one-owners-will-be-able-to-sell-share-games-but-not-rent-them.html
Quote:
In a positive step, users will automatically store a copy of their game via the cloud. That means if a player wants to visit a friend’s house and logs in, he or she will be able to play any of the game that player owns, no matter if the person has the game’s disc with them or not.
Likewise, anyone who is in your home will get access to your games, Microsoft said. (It’s unclear whether that means that the Xbox One owner will have to be logged in or not; Microsoft probably is locking the feature to the owner’s IP address.)
Users also will be allowed to grant ten family and friends access to a player's Xbox One library.
“Up to ten members of your family can log in and play from your shared games library on any Xbox One,” the company said in the FAQ. ”Just like today, a family member can play your copy of Forza Motorsport at a friend’s house. Only now, they will see not just Forza, but all of your shared games. You can always play your games, and any one of your family members can be playing from your shared library at a given time.”


2. If you can turn it of it’s off what do you mean with "turn it off" Microsoft said that when the xbox is off it listens if you say “xbox on” and you can turn this off..
It doesn’t mean in does or can record every conversation... if there’s a small loop running looking for “xbox on” and nothing more… I doubt there should be any worries there…

Though when the xbox one is on there does seem the be some issues we’ll have to see where it goes. But doesn’t the same aply to the ps4 when you have the camera?

The average age of gamers is in the 30’s by now so most people wont be kids.
And most people just play on their xbox one I doubt they are doing much more than staring like zombies in one direction. Pedo’s can get a lot “better/worse” material elsewhere… though yes if someone is spying it’s kinda scary…
And the xbox cant wire-tap wiretapping is done for phones Razz

3. 500 gb of space is a lot and you need to install a lot of games before its full... moreover if you have an x360 you should've noticed that loading times etc. are greatly improved when you install you'll end up installing most games anyway... (And upgrading ps4 space costs money too...)
4. Yeah the xbox is more expensive...
And I'm sorry but the kinect can do waaay more than the ps4 camera...
Altough I’m not accusing you of this but the fact that online for the ps3 was free was one of the things that ps fanboys loved to through around and now they are y
And what perks does the PS+ offer that xbox live doesn’t offer…? Any sources?


I have to admit I might be biased towards the xbox… I’ve ordered one (the first day edition) in case I want to have one… (I can always cancel or send it back…) (I have some thinking to do...)

The most important reason I might buy an xbox one is simply the games there are games on the xbox that aren’t on the ps4 that I want to play so IF I’m gonna buy a console its gonna be a xbox.

This is the way I see it…
Drawbacks of the xbox are:
- Once per day connection to the internet
- DRM, can’t easily borrow game discs…
- Kinect privacy
- the price (100$ difference)

The pros are
- It has cloud possibilities the ps4 doesn’t have… (drivatar (FORZA 5), allows seamless minor tweaks better AI etc. etc.)
http://www.vg247.com/2013/06/18/titanfall-xbox-ones-cloud-computing-helped-respawn-think-differently-says-zampella/

- With the DRM, you can borrow games online from anywhere…
- Kinect has a lot more possibilities.

Games are expensive anyway and 100 euro’s/dollars isn’t that much to me if you really want to play games cheap get a PC and wait for the steam sales… like I do for most games :p
I hardly ever borrow games and my 360 is always hooked on the internet so no real issues for me there…

The only problem for me is privacy…


@Laro696

Though the ps4 is slightly better… The ps3 is A LOT better than the xbox 360 hardware wise and I don’t really see that much of a difference between the games on ps3 and xbox 360.
The difference is quite small and I doubt that it’s gonna make a difference. Probably the biggest issue will be the difference in architecture of the consoles and how easy it’s to port… and not the hardware…
Klaw 2
Now look what happened... Razz

http://mashable.com/2013/06/19/xbox-one-dropping-drm/

so now the drawbacks f the xbox are;
- Kinect privacy
- the price (100$ difference)

The pros are
- It has cloud possibilities the ps4 doesn’t have… (drivatar (FORZA 5), allows seamless minor tweaks better AI etc. etc.)
http://www.vg247.com/2013/06/18/titanfall-xbox-ones-cloud-computing-helped-respawn-think-differently-says-zampella/
- (I don't know how the borrowing of games will work if it is stil in place... (you can borrow games online from anywhere… ))
- Kinect has a lot more possibilities.
catscratches
I think you understated the problems of 24 hour online connection. It doesn't just require you to have an online connection. It also requires Microsoft to have a service. That would (initially) mean no Xbox One in eg. Portugal, Poland, Japan, etc. And forget about ever importing one if you live in a country where it isn't sold.

And it doesn't mean you need to have a connection once every 24 hours. It means you need to have a connection and the Xbox One on at the same time every 24 hours. This means if my Internet connection is down and I haven't had the Xbox One on for the last 24 hours, no play for me until I get my Internet back. That wouldn't be a problem in the dorm, where I have a reliable Internet connection, but it means I can't just turn it on and expect to be able to play at my parents' place. Unless the Xbox connects to the Internet even when off, in which case we have the issue of the kinect being on and the console connecting to the Internet even when off.

It also means if you travel, you can't bring it with you. (Though personally I wouldn't do that either way.)

And the second-hand selling of games would be up to the publishers. Reselling to certified distributors would be up to the publisher to allow or disallow. So it would be possible only in some cases.

Not that it really matters now.

PS+ offers free games, for example. It also doesn't feature any ads. Not that I think that excuses paywall for online, but it's still more bang for your buck.
Klaw 2
catscratches wrote:

Not that it really matters now.

Yeah they axed it so all the ranting on so many fora is

catscratches wrote:
PS+ offers free games, for example. It also doesn't feature any ads. Not that I think that excuses paywall for online, but it's still more bang for your buck.

Xbox live doesnt feature any ads unless you count the "THIS JUST CAME OUT" "ads" but they don't bother me you dont have to watch them and you can start your games straight away...

And xbox live is giving away free games as well halo 3 and another in july if I remember correctly...
XchaosX
I with Sony ps4 on this one because of the price difference the fact that I can play used games and I have bad experiences with Xbox in the past especially Xbox live
catscratches
Microsoft has backed on used games and the PS4 will require subscription fees for online as well, though.
Iceaxe0410
It definitely seems like they leveled the playing field. I just have to laugh at microsoft's failed attempt to push DRM on everyone. The fact that they pulled back on those policies so quickly means they must have had some bad news with pre-order sales. The bad publicity of course would be a factor, but I'm not so sure it would be the deciding factor to completely pull back so quickly.

So, as I see it now, there are a few pro and cons with ps4 vs xbox one:

1. ps4 hardware wise is graphically superior to the xbox one. I don't really think that will matter too much in the long run unless someone did a side by side comparison between multiplatform games between the two consoles. I don't think the differences will be too noticeable unless if you're really looking.

2. Price difference of course. $499 for xbox one compared to ps4 at $399. Arguments could be made that the Kinect is what makes the xbox one $100 more expensive, but one also has to consider whether having that particular peripheral is worth the extra money. There are a large number that consider it something they don't need for the console and would have rather bought the console without it. The ps eye is $60 which would level it out more. It's not as advanced as the Kinect, but I suppose it comes down to preference for those that are actually interested in motion control.

As an aside: There was an interview I read that said that the xbox one might lower to $399 next year if the sales are not good during launch. So, some might want to wait out to see how it plays out. I don't have the link for the article off hand, but it was one of the microsoft execs that stated that.

The online subscriptions are basically the same now ($50/year), so there's no change there other than PS+ membership will be required now to play online which makes it basically equivalent to xbox live gold now. I'm assuming that xbox live gold membership will continue at the same price. Arguments can be made that ps+ gives you more features and promotions, but I suppose we'd have to see what microsoft does with the xbox one once it goes up.

3. Hard drive for both consoles are 500gb, however, the xbox one cannot be swapped out/changed, meaning if one needs additional space, they will have to rely on external storage devices/cloud service. The ps4 hard drive can be replaced and will have Gakai cloud starting in 2014.

4. The ps4 controller has a touchpad on it which adds another layer of control compared to the xbox controller. Whether a touchpad will have much use remains to be seen, but considering that ps4 has indie support, I imagine there will be quite a handful of games that makes use of the touchpad.

That's all I can think of from the top of my head.

There used to be more prominent differences, but since microsoft pulled back on some of their policies, those no longer apply:

1. DRM was removed (thought it remains to be seen if they will re-implement it after the launch or a few years into the life cycle of the xbox one).

2. They removed region locks on the xbox one which makes it the same as the ps4 now.

3. Online connection is no longer required except for when you first use your console. You no longer have to register games or have any of that 24 hour check in process.

I still chuckle at their public/customer relations. It was a mess. They had no one to blame but themselves for their terrible sales pitch, lol.
biolu
Console are more and more connected, I do miss the good old time when you turned your N64 on, it does not need to check on the online database to see if there is an update for an hour...
Cosmoslayer
PS4 was clearly the winner on E3 and I'm looking forward to buying one or waiting for the slim version because there was no clearly a fighting game announcement on it. So sad. Sad
Klaw 2
Iceaxe0410 wrote:
It definitely seems like they leveled the playing field [---]

2. Price difference of course. $499 for xbox one compared to ps4 at $399. Arguments could be made that the Kinect is what makes the xbox one $100 more expensive, but one also has to consider whether having that particular peripheral is worth the extra money. There are a large number that consider it something they don't need for the console and would have rather bought the console without it. The ps eye is $60 which would level it out more. It's not as advanced as the Kinect, but I suppose it comes down to preference for those that are actually interested in motion control.


The main reason that the kinect is included is to make sure every1 has the kinect, a ps4 developer has to make his game work without the eye thing while developers on the xbox can throw as many kinect options in the game as they want... It isn't a stretch to say that all games on the xbox one will have far better integration with kinect than the ps4 games with the eye...

Iceaxe0410 wrote:
As an aside: There was an interview I read that said that the xbox one might lower to $399 next year if the sales are not good during launch. So, some might want to wait out to see how it plays out. I don't have the link for the article off hand, but it was one of the microsoft execs that stated that.

The online subscriptions are basically the same now ($50/year), so there's no change there other than PS+ membership will be required now to play online which makes it basically equivalent to xbox live gold now. I'm assuming that xbox live gold membership will continue at the same price. Arguments can be made that ps+ gives you more features and promotions, but I suppose we'd have to see what microsoft does with the xbox one once it goes up.


Xbox live is giving games for free right now they might continue with this on the new xbox... and sony isn't going to give AAA games away at the launch date... to many people are expecting too much of the whole we are going to give stuff away free... no one knows what and how much...

Iceaxe0410 wrote:
3. Hard drive for both consoles are 500gb, however, the xbox one cannot be swapped out/changed, meaning if one needs additional space, they will have to rely on external storage devices/cloud service. The ps4 hard drive can be replaced and will have Gakai cloud starting in 2014.

4. The ps4 controller has a touchpad on it which adds another layer of control compared to the xbox controller. Whether a touchpad will have much use remains to be seen, but considering that ps4 has indie support, I imagine there will be quite a handful of games that makes use of the touchpad.

That's all I can think of from the top of my head.


The thing is... with the ps4 controller is that you cant use the other buttons while using that pad your thumbs are too far away from the so you have to let go with one hand to use it properly. This will slow down gameplay and I doubt you will be able to use it in the faster online games... shooters racers etc.

Iceaxe0410 wrote:
There used to be more prominent differences, but since microsoft pulled back on some of their policies, those no longer apply:

1. DRM was removed (thought it remains to be seen if they will re-implement it after the launch or a few years into the life cycle of the xbox one).


-_- not really an argument "they might"... sony might do the same they are both companies who want to make profit...

Iceaxe0410 wrote:
2. They removed region locks on the xbox one which makes it the same as the ps4 now.

3. Online connection is no longer required except for when you first use your console. You no longer have to register games or have any of that 24 hour check in process.

I still chuckle at their public/customer relations. It was a mess. They had no one to blame but themselves for their terrible sales pitch, lol.


I'm actually a little disapointed the drm is gone cause with it also goes the online sharing of games with friends. I hardly ever lend out a game while playing games from people I know. You could pick 10 people who can play your games from your own games library and vice versa.
Iceaxe0410
Well, I don't know how many people actually consider the Kinect a must have for playing video games. I mean sure it's a new way to control your games, but I think I tend to lean towards the standard controller. Don't get me wrong, the Kinect is a seriously nice piece of tech. I mean if you want to workout/dance while you play video games. It seems best suited for dancing and workout games. I'm sure it has more applications such as emulating what some games did with the Wii. For example, swinging the wii remote to bowl, swing a bat, swing a sword, and other things like that.

There is also the downside to it. Considering that the Kinect has infrared, can read heart rates, use facial recognition, and transmit and receive audio makes it the perfect marketing tool for corporate America. I'm not going to get into the whole NSA/government is watching view, but rather the big corporation aspect of it.

For example, what's to stop Microsoft from using it for marketing purposes? All it would take is to listen in for keywords and report and document the facial expression and heart rate associated with whatever word they are tracking. You can't cover up the camera because it has infrared. Can't turn off the lights, because it can see in the dark. They say you can turn it off, but can you really? I think it's a bit too intrusive for my tastes.

The very least they could do is allow you to not attach the device. As it stands now, it's a requirement to use the xbox one. They say you can turn it off, but you can't detach it if you want to play games. To me, that's an unnecessary restriction. There has to be an ulterior motive behind designing it this particular way. I'm just saying, it's a bit peculiar.
Klaw 2
Yes the kinect can be used for wok out games etc. however the kinect 2.0 can also track finger movements and is very preciese. It can also track gestures you make with your controller...
It also has voice commands and since the kinect is included a lot of games might have some implementation of any of those. Using the kinect doesn't immediatly mean workout...

And maybe the reason kinect has to be always connected that almost all games will use it in one way or another.
Or a simple reason is that you always must have a working kinect and if its broken you have to get a new one... same with printers in some printers if there is no more colour ink you need to replace it even if you want to print something in black & white.

And with infrared you can't see through objects putting a box on it will simply block its view...
And if you'r xbox isn't on you can always unplug it, when it has no power pretty shure its off then...
Iceaxe0410
Well, that's making one large assumption that a lot of games would use the Kinect. I think one would have to consider that many of the video games are going to be multi platform. I don't think that anyone publisher/developer would spend extra time coding for one device on one console unless if it is an exclusive title. They might add in passive features for the Kinect, but I don't see them making full use of it's capabilities unless if it's a game solely for the use of the Kinect. As I mentioned before, those type of games are dance, exercise, and casual sports games.

Then again, I could be wrong. Won't know until the consoles are in full swing after launch to see how much use the Kinect gets.

On an aside, apparently Don Mattrick left Microsoft to work with Zynga. I detect that he might be the fall guy for the PR disaster of the xbox one. The timing of this departure is very strange. Officially, they said he resigned to pursue other business opportunities. I think he was asked to resign especially considering how terrible things went. Considering that he is leaving before the console even launches and left so soon after the PR disaster, I think it's less about leaving to pursue other opportunities than being forced to leave. In any case, I see it more as damage control in order to better compete with ps4.

This generation of console gaming is an interesting one. I can't wait to see how it plays out.
Klaw 2
Well, for the exclusives can easily have kinect integration and why wouldnt developers add something to non exclusives for the xbox? mass effect 3 had voice commands in it.
But if you are right wouldnt the same be true for the touchpad thing for the ps4 controller?
bukaida
The worst thing of every new generation console is that they are not backward compatible. This is the only point where buying a PC is more handy. The PS3 games are pretty costly and people who bought them will not be able to use them in PS4 ( Although a very tedious process with the help of high speed internet connection may enable some of them to be played).
Klaw 2
@bukaida
If you have ps3/xbox360 games you have aps3 or xbox360 when you get the new one dont throw the old one out... it's not like you suddenly cant play the games...
Iceaxe0410
Yeah, backwards compatibility seems to have been lost more and more as the next generation consoles come out. I can understand why of course since the discs/cartridges are running on different architecture especially when they change the medium they are using. That will be especially true for the xbox one since they finally making a jump to blu-ray. I wonder if that's still a sore spot for them? Losing the HD vs Bluray disc battle.

Adding backwards compatibility would end up costing more and possibly a sub-optimal performance. Especially when you look at how the xbox360 handled backwards compatibility. A lot of the games couldn't be played and a lot of games had additional glitches and problems running the games. Then the ps3 originally had the emotion engine to run ps1/ps2 games, but they cut that out after they were losing too much money from their expensive consoles when it first launched.

Additional information:

Xbox one will not come with a headset since the Kinect has a microphone. The ps4 will come with a headset.

Rumors have also been floating around that Microsoft might add another 4 gb of DDR3 ram to bring it up to 12gb. Since their operating system uses 3, that would leave 9 for gaming. This, opposed to ps4 which uses 1gb for o/s and 7gb for gaming. A lot of skeptics think that it won't happen especially this late in the game. More than likely, they will probably make a second slim xbox one model later on. Despite that, it still won't compare to PS4's 8gb of gDDR5, but it would narrow the gap a bit more. This is of course just on paper. No way to tell until benchmarks are made when the actual consoles are out. The other thing Microsoft might do is overclock the gpu which I could easily see happen.

Can't wait until November. Very Happy
Klaw 2
Iceaxe0410 wrote:

[...]
Additional information:

Xbox one will not come with a headset since the Kinect has a microphone. The ps4 will come with a headset.
[...]


Actually I recently read that they added it...
But in other places it says they didnt...
So its a bit confusing...

Can't wait until November eitehr Razz
bukaida
Klaw 2 wrote:
@bukaida
If you have ps3/xbox360 games you have aps3 or xbox360 when you get the new one dont throw the old one out... it's not like you suddenly cant play the games...


I am having a PS2 and very happy with that. But my brother bought a PS3 last year with two move sticks and some 10-12 games. He was a bit disappointed seeing his console to be obsolete within a year.

Perhaps the companies are taking the policies like " New bullets for new guns ". Hope atleast , the PS3 games will be cheaper now. Surprised
TheLimey
PS4 I am going I think. I had ps1 ps2 and only had a 360 cause someone bought it for me. However, I feel PS4 is the way to go this time anyways.
wombatrpgs
bukaida wrote:
Klaw 2 wrote:
@bukaida
If you have ps3/xbox360 games you have aps3 or xbox360 when you get the new one dont throw the old one out... it's not like you suddenly cant play the games...


I am having a PS2 and very happy with that. But my brother bought a PS3 last year with two move sticks and some 10-12 games. He was a bit disappointed seeing his console to be obsolete within a year.

Perhaps the companies are taking the policies like " New bullets for new guns ". Hope atleast , the PS3 games will be cheaper now. Surprised

Well the price drop does make that a bit easier to swallow.
william
Eh, I wouldn't say the PS3 will be obsolete in a year. If anything, I'd still buy one over a PS4 because it has such a great library that continues to be supported. I've got a feeling both the 360 and PS3 might experience the same level of support the PS2 maintained for years after the seventh generation came out.
wombatrpgs
william wrote:
Eh, I wouldn't say the PS3 will be obsolete in a year. If anything, I'd still buy one over a PS4 because it has such a great library that continues to be supported. I've got a feeling both the 360 and PS3 might experience the same level of support the PS2 maintained for years after the seventh generation came out.

Isn't the PS4 supposed to be backwards compatible as far as the PS3 though?
Klaw 2
wombatrpgs wrote:
william wrote:
Eh, I wouldn't say the PS3 will be obsolete in a year. If anything, I'd still buy one over a PS4 because it has such a great library that continues to be supported. I've got a feeling both the 360 and PS3 might experience the same level of support the PS2 maintained for years after the seventh generation came out.

Isn't the PS4 supposed to be backwards compatible as far as the PS3 though?


NOPE if you want to play ps3 games or 360 games u gotta have a ps3 or 360...
Iceaxe0410
Yeah, none of the new consoles will be backwards compatible. I did read somewhere that Playstation was looking to make old games available through the PSN. So, that's probably the only way you will be able to play old games on the new consoles. I would assume the same applies to xbox live, but I don't think they made any statements about that.

The only immediate reason to buy any of the new consoles is for the new games which aren't very many at launch. The xbox one will probably have an edge on release day since apparently all launch titles can be digitally downloaded. I would assume the ps4 would have the same capabilities, but they haven't really said much about that other than one would be able to play the game while downloading. But, that feature is also on the xbox one, so it's not really much of an issue. What I mean by not saying much about it is that they haven't said anything about all launch titles being available for digital download on launch day.
william
Iceaxe0410 wrote:
Yeah, none of the new consoles will be backwards compatible.


Let's not forget the Wii U, though, Wink which is fully backwards compatible with Wii titles and is technically capable of running Gamecube games through homebrew. The Gamecube bit is quite interesting as well, because a 3rd party company released an adapter that allows you to hook up a Gamecube controller to a Wiimote, emulating a classic controller. I hope Nintendo continues to include backwards compatibility in future consoles, because that could very well mean support all the way back to the Gamecube due to architectural similarities. Very Happy

And yeah, the PS4 will basically attempt to stream PS3 games and run all the processing on the cloud. I'm interested in seeing how well that will work, but it doesn't seem like it will benefit those who already have PS3 discs.
Klaw 2
The thing with the wiiu is that its now more or less on par with the 360 and ps3.
And will e just as far behind compared to the xbox one and ps4 as the wii was to the ps3 and 360...

O, and the ps4 advantage with indi games?
Microsoft listened to gamers and decided to publish indis too...

http://majornelson.com/2013/07/24/self-publishing-is-coming-to-xbox-one/
william
Klaw 2 wrote:
The thing with the wiiu is that its now more or less on par with the 360 and ps3.
And will e just as far behind compared to the xbox one and ps4 as the wii was to the ps3 and 360...


Hardware wise, it's a bit more powerful than the 360 and PS3, and the GPGPU in pretty potent. Of course, plenty of AAA titles might skip it if the game engines just are too demanding for the hardware, but considering CryEngine 3 can run on it, I don't think the performance deficit compared to the other two will be as large as it was last generation (especially if you consider that the PS4 and Xbox One are a lot weaker relative to current gaming PCs than the PS3 and 360 were). Also, I think we're at a point where we are going to be seeing diminishing returns every generation, at least in graphics. Still, I know what you mean, since it won't be the ideal console for multiplatform games and might lose out on some titles altogether. But I'm sure exclusives, as usual, will be pretty good (and if the rumors of Nintendo potentially buying Atlus come true...).
spinout
I think PS4 is going to rocket launch! Because it has cheap architecture now and cheapes price... Hopefully it will not be so instable as the PS3... Hopefully as silent!!!
Iceaxe0410
Yeah, one good thing that was presented about the ps4 was it was designed to prevent overheating. Whether or not it actually does remains to be seen. Some news about that is reassuring since I managed to burn out my old ps3 from overheating. At the same token, I burned out two xbox 360s. Both managed to get 1/3 red ring of death. That really kind of turned me off of xbox for awhile.

I really hope none of the consoles will have overheating issues. It is some concern since microsoft decided to overclock the xbox one's gpu from 800mhz to 853mhz. It's not much of an increase, but it could cause more stress on the gpu than had they left it alone. I do like the idea that they are actually making improvements to the system to better compete with the ps4. I just hope they don't go overboard and sacrifice durability for performance.

On a side note, apparently the xbox one will come with a headset. Major Nelson did an unboxing of the console. I guess they changed their mind about that. It's sometimes hard to keep up with the changes they make.
LostOverThere
I wish I wasn't so meh about this coming generation. To me, the PS4 looks to be the most appealing console, but only because it's not doing some of the bizarre things its competitors are doing. Think about that for a moment. It's arguably the superior looking console because it's maintaining the status quo.

The tablet in the Wii U was a nice innovation. I just wish this coming generation had more things like that.
wombatrpgs
Iceaxe0410 wrote:
Yeah, none of the new consoles will be backwards compatible. I did read somewhere that Playstation was looking to make old games available through the PSN. So, that's probably the only way you will be able to play old games on the new consoles. I would assume the same applies to xbox live, but I don't think they made any statements about that.

The only immediate reason to buy any of the new consoles is for the new games which aren't very many at launch. The xbox one will probably have an edge on release day since apparently all launch titles can be digitally downloaded. I would assume the ps4 would have the same capabilities, but they haven't really said much about that other than one would be able to play the game while downloading. But, that feature is also on the xbox one, so it's not really much of an issue. What I mean by not saying much about it is that they haven't said anything about all launch titles being available for digital download on launch day.


I really like the rise of emulation as a means of playing the classics, though. I guess it isn't too much of a stretch to imagine that the previous gen games will be available via emulation and download some years down the road. As much fun as it is to have the ancient hardware, it's not really practical.
william
wombatrpgs wrote:
I really like the rise of emulation as a means of playing the classics, though. I guess it isn't too much of a stretch to imagine that the previous gen games will be available via emulation and download some years down the road. As much fun as it is to have the ancient hardware, it's not really practical.


I welcome it as a practical method to play classics, but as someone who played the classics back in the day, I notice the minor differences pretty frequently. I've used emulators on PCs for years and it's really neat to have the ability to control how to game plays, upscale them, speed them up, etc. However, I like accuracy and purity. I like it when the games play perfectly and that's just not something we can accomplish through emulation. Sure, we can patch up games and use different plugins to fix the flaws, but you might find that many old games have pretty severe emulation problems simply because they aren't in demand (hence why nobody patches them up). And, I'm sure, everyone has an obscure favorite.

We can't even get Pong to run at full speed when we use transistor level software emulation, so unfortunately we won't get perfect emulation of our old games any time soon. That's why I hold on to my old consoles (and value systems like the Wii and the fat PS3).

By the way, this is a great article on the subject.
grofet
Maybe i will buy ps4 console after ps5 released to have price drop on console and games. Right now i have plan to buy ps3 after ps4 coming out to enjoy the cheap price of the original used products.
spinout
hm, leave ps3 since it is unstable in the graphics! PS4 , hopefully the will be stable and silent!
wombatrpgs
william wrote:

I welcome it as a practical method to play classics, but as someone who played the classics back in the day, I notice the minor differences pretty frequently. I've used emulators on PCs for years and it's really neat to have the ability to control how to game plays, upscale them, speed them up, etc. However, I like accuracy and purity. I like it when the games play perfectly and that's just not something we can accomplish through emulation. Sure, we can patch up games and use different plugins to fix the flaws, but you might find that many old games have pretty severe emulation problems simply because they aren't in demand (hence why nobody patches them up). And, I'm sure, everyone has an obscure favorite.

We can't even get Pong to run at full speed when we use transistor level software emulation, so unfortunately we won't get perfect emulation of our old games any time soon. That's why I hold on to my old consoles (and value systems like the Wii and the fat PS3).

By the way, this is a great article on the subject.


Thanks for the link. Guess it'll never be perfect, but it's better than being completely neglected by everyone but the fanatics, I suppose. Although there are a few games out there (light gun titles, etc) that an emulator really doesn't capture at all.
playfungames
I hear that PS 4 would be better than Xbox One. I heard that it has better hardware and a lower price mark. Additionally, Xbox One has been receiving a lot of heat because of it's always on camera and because you'd have to be connected to the internet at all times to play games.

But, I know that both will be the best seller and break some world records for sales of consoles.
Utopia GFR
I'd rather stay on my 360, never had a single issue with it (and I got it since january 2010).

But when XBOX LIVE will be cut off for that system (maybe in 4-5 years?), guess I'll go for XBOX ONE.

I'm pretty much sure Microsoft won't maintain the servers for ever.
spinout
right now I think it is not good games for the new consoles to come... Hwat do I play? Sports... fight night champion is still my favorite (in humiliation)
Insanity
I think I would prefer the PS4 mainly because of the XBO's shady marketing practices and features that make it very unusuable like the DRM and always on connection feature. I've also been a Sony fanboy for a while since PS2 came out, so there's that to take into ******.
Klaw 2
playfungames wrote:
I hear that PS 4 would be better than Xbox One. I heard that it has better hardware and a lower price mark. Additionally, Xbox One has been receiving a lot of heat because of it's always on camera and because you'd have to be connected to the internet at all times to play games.

But, I know that both will be the best seller and break some world records for sales of consoles.


Actually they are pretty much the same the ps3 is slightly better but most likely that wont be noticable with games that are released acros multiple platforms... and the dropped the always online ages ago...
Iceaxe0410
A lot of things have changed. Microsoft did a lot to reverse a lot of it's policies, so they are at least listening to the consumers. Not too much more information from ps4 other than the release date is set for November 14, 2013.

1. They added a headset to the xbox one console. They previously stated it wouldn't come with one, but I guess they heard enough complaints and also saw that the ps4 was including a headset.

2. They changed their policy on the kinect camera. It no longer is required to use the xbox one. Previously, they said you would be able to turn it off, but would not be able to use the console unless if it was plugged in. I'm glad they reversed this decision, but it seems they will not sell the xbox one without kinect based on their recent statements. "xbox one is kinect." So they said.

3. DRM was removed, but that's pretty much old news by now. No longer required to install games onto the hard drive. Can buy and sell used games.

4. Microsoft pushed back the console release date in several countries to 2014 (mostly European countries). North America and UK will still get it this year. Reports have said November 8, 2013 as the launch date, but isn't confirmed yet.

Both consoles are pretty much the same at this point. There aren't too many noticeable differences other than the hardware and video game exclusives. The main difference of course is the price point, $100 difference.

By the way, apparently the Sony Playstation eye camera also has voice recognition commands like the kinect does. They didn't openly advertise it, but the description of the product states that it does. I can understand why Sony didn't talk much about the playstation eye considering how focused microsoft was with their kinect. They probably didn't want to attract any negative feedback by talking about it. I just find it interesting that they chose not to highlight any of it's features as a selling point for the ps4.
spinout
My PS3 fat did broke after some years, got a slim new one... But my XB360 I sold broke down the same year I got it...

So in that aspect the PS is better.
Iceaxe0410
spinout wrote:
My PS3 fat did broke after some years, got a slim new one... But my XB360 I sold broke down the same year I got it...

So in that aspect the PS is better.


lol, you're not the only one. My original fat ps3 broke in about four years and I recently bought a slim one. The two xbox360 consoles I bought however broke promptly within 2 years each. At least for you the warranty was still in effect if it broke within a year. I was pretty much screwed since it was just after my warranty expired that they broke. Two consoles to one. Durability and reliability goes to the ps3. The console breaking kind of turned me off of xbox.

Based on some reports, it seems that we most likely won't have to worry about the red ring of death or the yellow light of death. Both the ps4 and xbox one have been designed to prevent overheating. Of course we will have to wait until the consoles are out to determine whether that's actually true or not. But, I'm feeling good that these particular consoles will at least last longer than the previous ones.

I have my doubts about the xbox one. They seem awfully rushed to get those consoles out and with good reason. It would probably be wise to sit out the first batch to see if they cut too many corners getting the console out. The reason I say this is all the policy changes they made. That had to set back production in some way. Last thing any gamer would want is a rushed sub optimum console. Yeah, I'm going to hold off on buying the xbox one until well in 2014 or even 2015.

I just get the impression that Sony is better organized and will have the consoles ready and functioning as they originally were intended to at launch. Consumer confidence is an important consideration. That's something Microsoft is severely lacking with their console. It may just be speculation, but there's too many variables and negative setbacks for them to not have some production problems. The writing is all over the wall. My instinct and reasoning is telling me it's a bad idea to buy a xbox one at launch no matter what games are released for it.
RosenCruz
Damn I m getting old. I did not even have any of the previous ones Smile
Iceaxe0410
It sure gets more interesting as the launch dates get closer. Looks like Microsoft is releasing the xbox one one week after the ps4 on November 22, 2013. That is a bit surprising to me. I would have thought for sure they wanted to get a jump on the ps4 given their bad start.

Sony is doing another interesting move too. They are launching the ps4 for Japan in 2014. I think this is a smart move considering they pretty much already have Japan covered. The xbox isn't as popular as the playstation in Japan. They can afford to focus on the areas that Microsoft has a foothold in; North America and UK. I think this probably buys them more time for manufacturing the ps4 units so they have a larger supply when it launches.

So close yet so far away. At least I still have some games to keep me occupied until then. I'll probably pick up gta 5 next week too. So I'll have that play while I wait.
william
Curiously, does anyone here have a PlayStation 4 or Xbox One on preorder? Or is planning on buying it when it launches?

I, personally, did preorder a PlayStation 4 with the intent of canceling it if I don't want it. Not entirely sure if I should go through with it or not since the PlayStation 3 is keeping me very entertained. I might just try to sell it for profit (remember how PS3s and Wiis sold for 2-3 times their retail price online?).
abhinavm24
xbox ofcourse..... Embarassed
Phpaddict
The xbox one kinnect will observe you all the day, and needs a Net Conection for play, by the way, you can´t provide the game to a friend¡, the PS4 is the best¡¡¡¡
Iceaxe0410
That's not quite true as much since microsoft made it so the kinect does not have to be connected to the xbox one to play games. I suspect many people will just leave it off then reattach it when there is a game that uses it. What is more bothersome is that microsoft has flip flopped on one of their "flip flopped" policies. That was that they wouldn't sell any information to outside parties regarding the kinect. There have been some reports that they are openly advertising to businesses that might be interested in buying information from them.

It made sense to me from the very beginning what they were planning to do with the kinect. I wouldn't be so much against it if they allowed you to opt in or out of releasing data to third parties for marketing purposes, but they aren't really giving you a choice.

Just goes to show that their policy that any of their policies may change at any time could indeed happen. Trust is an issue for me. I won't be buying the xbox one any time soon. I have a gut feeling that 2 or more years into the launch, they will start reimplementing their original plans. I don't trust microsoft. I don't trust Sony either, but at least they have been more open about their policies. The difference was that Sony was willing to listen to the customers first where Microsoft was telling everyone what they want.
deloria
PS4 is def the better buy. Price and performance. Anyone who says that stats dont make a difference needs to do their research
Related topics
Which is better Xbox or PC
Xbox 360 vs PS3
XBOX 360 vs. PS3
ps3 vs xbox 360
PS3 vs Xbox 360
Xbox 360 VS PS3, WHO'S GONNA WIN?
Xbox 360 can damage your discs physically!
PSYCHONAUTS (xbox)
Gamecube Rocks!
Playstation 4? Xbox 720?
PS3 vs. Xbox
ps3 vs xbox 360
Ps3 Or Xbox 360
Latest Xbox One vs PS4
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Sports and Entertainment -> Games

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.