FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Alternative forum themes - contest?

Pande
A few new forum themes would be nice. If the CSS for this forum could be openly posted so we can edit it and then submit our edits, could make for a nice contest.
Peterssidan
The css is already public, here: http://www.frihost.com/forums/forums.css

Sounds like a fun contest. Even if it's not official.
Vanilla
Peterssidan wrote:
The css is already public, here: http://www.frihost.com/forums/forums.css

Sounds like a fun contest. Even if it's not official.

Oh, I would love to take part in it! Maybe a new style could attract more people...
rjraaz
It would be a nice contest. But Bonding is not quite not interested to change the look and feel of Frihost at present.

So, contest might run un-officially by any user. Idea
Pande
Well, the default theme can always stay. These boards support multiple user-selected themes so that's no big deal.
johans
for me any-theme is fine as long as its not heavy to load on different browsers.
Peterssidan
Running the contest unofficially appears to be harder than I first thought. How would we manipulate the CSS of this site?

I was thinking about a site where you can upload CSS and view Frihost from within an iframe. Not sure if it would be possible to change the CSS of another frame using JavaScript, and another problem is that it is not possible to stay logged in when Frihost is viewed from within an iframe. The site looks very different when you are logged in so this is no good.

I was also thinking that it might be possible to use Greasemonkey/userscripts but even if we are able to make them work it will probably not be as user friendly.

Real phpbb2 themes are not just css modifications. They can also contain total restructuring of elements. Things could be removed and added. Maybe it's no point in trying to make this.

I guess we could have a contest if we let people save static pages and let them redesign them by editing the html, css and images the way they want. This would not be able to be used in the real site but I guess it could still be a fun thing to do. If we want we could pick pages that everyone should modify so that everyone do the same pages. The pages could then be uploaded so that everyone could see them and maybe even vote to select a winner.
deanhills
@Peterssidan. I think something like this is probably not practical for those who don't have the power to make changes. Guess Bondings probably needs to be around, or empower one of our many able staff to run something like that. In the meanwhile, I think you, Truespeed and others are doing a GREAT job with the contests you are running. We work with what we've got.
mahirh
Make a userstyle? well,

That works for me.
In this case, we did not need any help from evil frihost daddy or whoever it is who does all this anyway.
And for userstyles, there is no such thing as "Heavy", It's completely client side.
Maybe have a syntax highlighting code snippet userscript to top it off as well?
deanhills
Although the design is nice, I'd say it's a bit DARK! I'd need a flash light to do my daily posting. Razz
mahirh
deanhills wrote:
Although the design is nice, I'd say it's a bit DARK! I'd need a flash light to do my daily posting. Razz

Well, this is fine enough for me, since I'm now a bit nocturnal for my time zone and a bit dark will always do good to the eye.
deanhills
Just joking though. My Outlook at work has the same colour theme. I rather like it. Cool
Pande
Peterssidan wrote:
Running the contest unofficially appears to be harder than I first thought. How would we manipulate the CSS of this site?

I was thinking about a site where you can upload CSS and view Frihost from within an iframe. Not sure if it would be possible to change the CSS of another frame using JavaScript, and another problem is that it is not possible to stay logged in when Frihost is viewed from within an iframe. The site looks very different when you are logged in so this is no good.

I was also thinking that it might be possible to use Greasemonkey/userscripts but even if we are able to make them work it will probably not be as user friendly.

Real phpbb2 themes are not just css modifications. They can also contain total restructuring of elements. Things could be removed and added. Maybe it's no point in trying to make this.

I guess we could have a contest if we let people save static pages and let them redesign them by editing the html, css and images the way they want. This would not be able to be used in the real site but I guess it could still be a fun thing to do. If we want we could pick pages that everyone should modify so that everyone do the same pages. The pages could then be uploaded so that everyone could see them and maybe even vote to select a winner.

None of the HTML themes need to be changed. Also, are you serious this is PHPbb2? o.0 That really needs to get updated ...

Anyway, this contest or collaboration is as simple as a repo for the CSS alterations, and use the Stylish plugin for chrome/firefox to make the changes with !important flag, ontop of the site's original css file.

But yeah, maybe it's more the fact that *I* want to do it, and no one else does. Maybe someday when I have less things to do.
RosenCruz
I could use a clean, lite theme. You know change is good, every now and then
mahirh
Pande wrote:

None of the HTML themes need to be changed. Also, are you serious this is PHPbb2? o.0 That really needs to get updated ...

Anyway, this contest or collaboration is as simple as a repo for the CSS alterations, and use the Stylish plugin for chrome/firefox to make the changes with !important flag, ontop of the site's original css file.

But yeah, maybe it's more the fact that *I* want to do it, and no one else does. Maybe someday when I have less things to do.

Last time bonding talked about PBPBB3, it was the plugins in his way.
codegeek
I, for one, love the feel of the forum as it is. Maybe it's because I've gotten used to it, or maybe it''s the easy navigation, and great non-intrusive colours. Very Happy
deanhills
codegeek wrote:
I, for one, love the feel of the forum as it is. Maybe it's because I've gotten used to it, or maybe it''s the easy navigation, and great non-intrusive colours. Very Happy
True. It's got a special "rustic" character of its own. I like it the way it is too. Cool
Peterssidan
mahirh wrote:
Last time bonding talked about PBPBB3, it was the plugins in his way.

Yeah, bondings has made a lot of modifications to the forum so it's not certain that the build in theme functionality still works as it should so having an official contest could be even more impossible than it already is.
ceppeRaz
WOuld it be an option to only let the colors be adapted, then users could benefit from that. Some people have difficulty with a particular color scheme.
mahirh
I'm sure that there are greasemonkey and stylish extensions for that exact purpose.
sysna
I like this simple theme, i like these old style themes more than modern ones, but the only problem is when you see this forum using tablet.