FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

A THIRD man has died after drinking home-brewed spirits

nickfyoung
Are you into home brewing. I know I used to make my own beer when I was younger but making your own spirits can be dangerous. Three out of four young guys have died so far by poisoning from a home brew near where I live.

Quote:
"A THIRD man has died after drinking home-brewed spirits in southern Queensland.

The 21-year-old died in hospital, police told AAP on Wednesday.

Four men drank a deadly batch of the Italian drink grappa at Ballandean, near Stanthorpe, on the weekend.

Joel Lynam, 21, died at the property on Sunday from suspected methanol poisoning. Bryan Wilmot, 30, died in hospital on Monday.

The third man, Vincent Summers, 21, died in hospital on Tuesday night.

The sole survivor, Mr Lynam's brother Josh, 26, remains in hospital in a serious condition."

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/breaking-news/third-man-dead-from-qld-home-brew/story-e6freono-1226662311389

MOD - adding quote tags and telling you to review the rules and use proper formatting is getting very tiresome. Quotes added... Review the rules.
-Ankhanu
SonLight
This is a rather odd story. I found a news article which suggests a cause: anti-freeze poisoning.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/world/8780776/Fatal-home-brew-may-have-contained-antifreeze

That is certainly possible if they used a radiator in the brewing process. That has apparently killed a number of people over the years, enough that I heard about the risk as a kid in spite of the fact I never tried brewing booze nor did I ask a lot of questions about it. The police say they are investigating all options at this time, apparently including amount of alcohol ingested and factors other than the drink, as well as waiting for the analysis of the drink and a toxicology report on the victims.
deanhills
Wow, they must have been in severe agony before they died! Hope they publicize this very widely so others can be warned against this kind of brewing.
nickfyoung
Quote:
A THIRD man has died after drinking home-brewed spirits in southern Queensland.

The 21-year-old died in hospital, police told AAP on Wednesday.

Four men drank a deadly batch of the Italian drink grappa at Ballandean, near Stanthorpe, on the weekend.

Joel Lynam, 21, died at the property on Sunday from suspected methanol poisoning. Bryan Wilmot, 30, died in hospital on Monday.

The third man, Vincent Summers, 21, died in hospital on Tuesday night.

The sole survivor, Mr Lynam's brother Josh, 26, remains in hospital in a serious condition.

I think I may have worked it out. You don't actually want quote tags, which I have been using, but you want the entire quote highlighted and then the quote button clicked above as I have just done here. Is that correct. I hate to get things wrong.
Ankhanu
Err on the side of caution, if you did not write it, use quote tags.
standready
I have never had any problems with my still!
deanhills
standready wrote:
I have never had any problems with my still!
Was unaware you were a fermentationist? Angel Cool! Cool

Just came across this Website The Mad Fermentationist, 11 mistakes every new home brewer makes.
the_emissary
Do not mess with spirits...
nickfyoung
Ankhanu wrote:
Err on the side of caution, if you did not write it, use quote tags.

"What do you call quote tags, I always use quote tags as I call them." Those little things at the start and end of a piece of writing. """"""That is what I have been using. I presume now that you are talking about something different. The piece in question has quote tags at the start and end of the quoted piece.

Quote:
Or do you mean something like this from the quote button.
IceCreamTruck
[ quote=" someone's name" ] this is a quote [ /quote ]
nickfyoung
IceCreamTruck wrote:
[ quote=" someone's name" ] this is a quote [ /quote ]

" someone's name"

That is what I have been using to quote.

Quote:
someone's name

It seems like this is what is required.
ocalhoun
nickfyoung wrote:

" someone's name"

That is what I have been using to quote.

Quote:
someone's name

It seems like this is what is required.

Exactly... so use the required kind and everything will be all better.
nickfyoung
Thank you for clarifying that for me. I was confused as to why I was always in trouble. Now I know I wont get caught out again.
coolclay
Wow, I can't believe someone would use a radiator to brew/distill with. Certainly not the smartest idea.
My still set up is just a simple glass distillation chamber, it's easy and you can see what's going on inside. And I got it for free!
deanhills
coolclay wrote:
And I got it for free!
I wouldn't have expected anything less from you. Doesn't stop to amaze me how you do this. Not only did you get it free, but it's a glass distillation chamber. Cool