FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Help reformatting a hard drive

Tony The Tiger
My new Hewlett Packard laptop came with two drive bays and a 1TB internal hard drive with Windows 8. I took a 320GB hard drive out of a 2010 Hewlett Packard put Windows 8 on it and put it in the primary drive in the new machine. Now, I need to format the 1TB to serve as a data drive. However, Windows will not show two system drives. I don't know how to format the 1TB now. HP does not support my request and Microsoft seems to be unable to help. Microsoft says they could help if I had a bootable media. They also have given me a windows 8 download link that requires a product key. HP will not give me a product key, saying that information is embedded in windows recovery disks. How can I reformat my 1TB?
crazyfffan
You don't need a bootable Windows disk to reformat your hard drive. My guess is that when you "put" windows 8 on the 320GB HDD you simply just copied it, not installing.
There's plenty of free recovery tools out there that help you do what you want. My first choice is Hiren's boot: http://www.hiren.info/pages/bootcd
Tony The Tiger
crazyfffan wrote:
You don't need a bootable Windows disk to reformat your hard drive. My guess is that when you "put" windows 8 on the 320GB HDD you simply just copied it, not installing.
There's plenty of free recovery tools out there that help you do what you want. My first choice is Hiren's boot: http://www.hiren.info/pages/bootcd

No, I have installed using a recovery CD to the 320 GB. I believe the problem is that the original installation of Windows 8 on the 1 TB caused it to be formatted in GTP format rather than NTFS. I seem to be having trouble getting it formatted into NTFS.
dustindallas
Try Partition magic if the other tools aren't working. You will probably have to delete the partition and start it over.
Tony The Tiger
dustindallas wrote:
Try Partition magic if the other tools aren't working. You will probably have to delete the partition and start it over.

I don't want to buy software to do my original installation of my hard disk drives on my new computer. I ended up sending it back to Hewlett-Packard for them to reformat it or swap it out (not sure which they did). It is now working satisfactorily in NTFS format.
dustindallas
Partition Magic has a fully functional free trial, or it used to.. been awhile since I had to use it
duytam28
Using a bootable CD/DVD like Hireen boot, boot your machine into booting mode then you have total control over your hard drive.
Tony The Tiger
duytam28 wrote:
Using a bootable CD/DVD like Hireen boot, boot your machine into booting mode then you have total control over your hard drive.

Is Hireen boot a software that I would have to purchase? I was not looking to purchase more software. I am all set now that Hewlett Packard has formatted everything for me.