FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How does FriHost prevent Spam

Possum
Hi

I am just playing around with my forum. But wow....I get heaps of spam members. Surly FriHost too must have this problem..

How do you control it..

thx....
Peterssidan
New spammers register every day. I think Frihost's main protection is the CAPTCHA.
Ankhanu
IIRC, there's a captcha, but we mods also delete and ban a LOT of spam every day.

My own forum uses both CAPTCHA and email verification, and I get maybe three to six spammers a year.
badai
i know there are human spammers, just wondering how much are they getting paid for their work.
twotrophy
It is possible for bots to bypass the captcha. I have even seen software that is designed to bypass captchas. Such software creators usually earn by getting users to purchase a certain amount of times the software would work to bypass these captchas.

On the other hand, very simple games that are being use to prevent bots from making automatic actions such as registering on Frihost would make bots harder to target this forum as it is very difficult to code a bot to automatically play games.
truespeed
Frihost gets lots of spam,it is only down to the dedication of the moderators that most members don't see it,without them this forum would be 50% spam posts.
Qantas94Heavy
Possum wrote:
Hi

I am just playing around with my forum. But wow....I get heaps of spam members. Surly FriHost too must have this problem..

How do you control it..

thx....

It's mainly due to A LOT of flagging - most of the spam gets removed very quickly due to community and moderator action.
johans
badai wrote:
i know there are human spammers, just wondering how much are they getting paid for their work.

that might be a boring job.
Peterssidan
People working as spammers probably see themselves as working with SEO.
Possum
Quote:
People working as spammers
should stop immediately